BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hood and Radiator Clearance

Post Thanks / Like

Hood and Radiator Clearance

I am having a problem with my hood and radiator. With the radiator raised about 1/2 inch to clear the steering rack boot, the radiator cap interferes with the hood. When I remove the radiator lifts (home made), there is no interference at the hood, but the boot rubs on the lower radiator hose. Both the steering rack and the radiator are from a junkyard Impreza. I don't know the exact year (the parts were harvested on a cold rainy day), but probably an '06-07.

Any thoughts? I first thought that I reduced the hood returns too much, but if anything, the hood is a little high relative to the fenders.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by john g View Post
    I am having a problem with my hood and radiator. With the radiator raised about 1/2 inch to clear the steering rack boot, the radiator cap interferes with the hood. When I remove the radiator lifts (home made), there is no interference at the hood, but the boot rubs on the lower radiator hose. Both the steering rack and the radiator are from a junkyard Impreza. I don't know the exact year (the parts were harvested on a cold rainy day), but probably an '06-07.

Any thoughts? I first thought that I reduced the hood returns too much, but if anything, the hood is a little high relative to the fenders.

John
    Hi John,
    How close are you to running?

You could cut off the radiator cap and have a flat plate welded on. Then if you need a cap, add an inline one to the top hose.
    My forester radiator did not have a cap.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Bob. I like the idea of using a radiator w/o a cap and will see if I can get measurements of one from a Forester or other Subaru.

But I am still wondering why I have such little clearance. Did I do something wrong with the fender installation? Has anyone else had clearance radiator-hood clearance issues?

John

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what is going on for you. I have built 2 818S's. One with a Mishimoto rad and one with a stock WRX rad. No hood problems did I incur. Make sure you nose is located correctly. I only raised the rad about 3/8" to clear the rack.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had too much clearance between the hood and radiator. I had to build an air block off on the radiator. This was so the air went through the radiator and not over the top gap which was big!

Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine looks like chads. Post some photos so we can see if you have aftermarket parts.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures--Hood and Radiator Clearance

Here is the problem. The hood barely clears the hood, even without radiator spacers. The view is from one of the vents cut into the hood before the mesh is installed.

IMG_0735_zpsggs0hayu.jpg

This picture is shows a straight edge across the fenders. Compared with Chad's picture, the radiator does not look too high. Looking at Chad's setup, I now wonder if my hood has lost some upward bow. I stored the hood for about five months standing on its nose. Could this be my problem?

IMG_0739_zpsrdvjnsxi.jpg

Here is another image from the front. I believe that all parts are stock.

IMG_0738_zpsi5ar3qqn.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    john
    The neck on your radiator cap is longer than typical.
    Bob

$_57.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    john
    The neck on your radiator cap is longer than typical.
    Bob

$_57.jpg
    For sure that is the problem.

I have a good used one that I will sell for $25 plus shipping if you are interested. It is off a 2002 WRX. PM me if interested.
    Last edited by wallace18; 05-31-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the other have said. That is one weird radiator you have.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

I've got an OEM radiator you can have for $25 if you want to come to Laurel/Savage to get it. PM me if you are interested.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all for your comments. I have PM'ed Larry about his offer. Turns out he is close to me.

As I mentioned, the radiator came from a salvage yard from a fairly new car, so I didn't suspect it as the problem. This afternoon, I compared it with the radiator in my Outback and found that one was also long-necked. Maybe there is something in the water around here...

John