Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Updated pics of 818R

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Updated pics of 818R

I have been so busy with the Const.business I have not had the time post the progress on the forums. I did take some photos along the way and will post them now. I tried to read all threads every night or two help me from having to redo things more the once or twice. I swear, a "Normal Person" would have s---canned this project after the first 50 pages of the build manual...especially if building an 818R. Worthless!!! I want to thank everyone that posted their "Experiances-
    Success or Failures" because , for me, saved a tremendes amount of time in figuring how to put this car together. Thank You, Thank You!!

Blocked-off air escapes 2.jpgBlocked-off air escapes 2.jpgBlocked-off air escapes.jpgCold air intake.jpgDiffuser.jpgDriver Side.jpgFuel Pump, Reg., Catch Can.jpgFuel Regulator and Oil Catch Can.jpgHeader and Pan.jpgInner.jpg
    Last edited by NorCal Ray; 06-02-2015 at 11:28 PM. Reason: duplicate photo

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Well executed.
    Last picture: Is that an oil cooler? Must be... now I see two fans behind it. Banjo fittings and all!
    Whose remote oil filter is that? The MagnaFuel QuickStar 300 fuel pump and filter setup is pretty fancy. Have you used it before?
    Very interesting venting concept on the sails. I take it you are not quite done with those areas. Want to see it finished. Whose louver part is that?
    Lastly, that looks like a very healthy front swaybar. Are my eyes/photo deceiving me? Aftermarket? Size?

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice build picks!

You have probably already addressed this, but in pic 9 I see braided oil lines from your filter oil filter relocate going past your exhaust header. Even though the header is wrapped I would still recommend putting a heat shielding/cover on the SS lines in this area.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Since mikeb75 broached the subject, I have to agree. A Subie buddy had his burst and cause a fire. They were high quality, sleeved, but not braided hoses and the headers were wrapped. They were just too close.
    You have the Canton adapter (as shown here). I understand your routing, but why not do this:

There was just the smallest amount of grinding and tweaking required for this to work, as shown. -10 fittings. The end result of having the hoses go up and to the right are similar. There's more room in the front to get past most headers. Only the internal o-rings of the swivel fittings have to deal with significant heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    Looks great. Well executed.
    Last picture: Is that an oil cooler? Must be... now I see two fans behind it. Banjo fittings and all!
    Whose remote oil filter is that? The MagnaFuel QuickStar 300 fuel pump and filter setup is pretty fancy. Have you used it before?
    Very interesting venting concept on the sails. I take it you are not quite done with those areas. Want to see it finished. Whose louver part is that?
    Lastly, that looks like a very healthy front swaybar. Are my eyes/photo deceiving me? Aftermarket? Size?
    It is a Canton Remote Oil Filter. Yes I had the MagnaFuel pump and filter on a 84 Vette I built for a track car. It worked very well. The swaybar is an Epic Engineering 22mm. I bought this before I read on the Forums that maybe it is not needed on the "R". The louvers I found on for online for $13 a pair. We'll see if they work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb75 View Post
    Very nice build picks!

You have probably already addressed this, but in pic 9 I see braided oil lines from your filter oil filter relocate going past your exhaust header. Even though the header is wrapped I would still recommend putting a heat shielding/cover on the SS lines in this area.
    Thanks for spotting a potential problem. I had the headers Ceramic Coated Black, and with the Titanium/Lava wrap, I thought the oil lines would be OK. I will make some kind of heatshield to protect them more. Thank You !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal Ray View Post
    Thanks for spotting a potential problem. I had the headers Ceramic Coated Black, and with the Titanium/Lava wrap, I thought the oil lines would be OK. I will make some kind of heatshield to protect them more. Thank You !
    Sounds like you have a really good start. I'm just a paranoid when it comes to the heat coming off the headers, I also have the Titanium/Lava wrap and during break in runs there is visible heat coming off the header.

IMHO a couple of bucks of sleeving is good insurance for what Scargo calls the 'Valley of Doom' on the EJ engine.

Can't wait to see more of your build!
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    "Hell hole" to be exact, but I like "Valley of Doom". I think a heat shield would work nicely. I have one at my solenoid on my DVACS heads by the up-pipe. Keeps the wires and connectors from melting. Had a fire there once when the header to up-pipe gasket blew out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed that the exhaust is not centered, is that an AJW exhaust ? As I have an issue with the AJW exhaust being too low and not centered vertically on the back panel. I have sent my exhaust back to AJW to see if they can figure out what is going on. I have looked at my engine/transmission mounts, making sure the engine is centered on these mounts, etc. and still have the same results
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    I noticed that the exhaust is not centered, is that an AJW exhaust ? As I have an issue with the AJW exhaust being too low and not centered vertically on the back panel. I have sent my exhaust back to AJW to see if they can figure out what is going on. I have looked at my engine/transmission mounts, making sure the engine is centered on these mounts, etc. and still have the same results
    I would just take the car to a fabricator/muffler shop. He made my exhaust cheaper than AJW, and exactly where I wanted it.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)