BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: BendPak 4-Post Lift Review (HD-7W)

Post Thanks / Like

BendPak 4-Post Lift Review (HD-7W)

Finally made the purchase I've needed for several years now, new 4-post lift from BendPak!

I researched the heck out of this purchase: read thru both forums, read the Raptor forums and kept seeing the same couple names pop up: Bendpak, Rotary and Superlifts. Then I went and read all their websites and the Bendpak website had quite the writeup on engineering, Solidworks modeling, FEA analysis, proper certifications to have in the lift industry (some “certs” are made up by other lift mnfg and they mean nothing), safety information, etc and was sold. Got a good price on it out of http://www.workshopdepot.com/ then had Becks Automotive Lifts in Denver install it. I got a Bendpak HD-7W, it’s their tall and wide version. I wanted something wide and tall enough so the minivan (no snickering) could fit without problems.

Had to get a high lift conversion on the garage door too, that was pricey since the new direct mount opener was required and about $500 alone because of my heavy wood doors. New direct drive motor is SO much quieter and smoother than the old chain drive.

Review:
    Quality craftsmanship, great welds, solid construction, heavy duty beams, heavy duty pulleys and cables (cables are partially concealed under and in unit, looks clean), massive hydraulic cylinder, great locking points, etc, etc. Got the alum ramps and drip pans, well worth it. Even though these are made in China, they are solid. BendPak has a pretty rigorous inspection and quality control team in California.

Cons:
    Didn't realize you need compressed air to release the locks to lower unit. Not a problem, just didn't know that. I'll run a c.a. line over to the unit.

Shaggin' wagon fits just fine under it too.

IMAG0759.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    When I first looked at the picture, I thought you had misjudged the height of the roll bar and cracked your ceiling. Don't you love having a lift?! Wish we had gotten ours during the roadster build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've seen quite a few 4 post lifts and I think BendPak makes the best. I LOVE mine:

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you assemble the lift yourself or pay an installer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanCobra View Post
    Did you assemble the lift yourself or pay an installer?
    I installed mine. The lift came with instructions. The hardest part was flipping one of the runners around in this small 20x20 shop and to mount the runners on the cross members. No way to lift it, but the creative use of a floor jack solved the problems. I had just had minor skin surgery on my back so I had to be careful not to bust the stitches. In a weird way it probably helped because it forced me to not try to lift anything. I let the jack do all the work.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Old thread but worth considering. If you find yourself on the fence on whether or not a lift is worth it, it is. I bought mine a couple of years ago partly for my upcoming build as well as usual every day maintenance. What I found is I use it all the time. I have adapted it for the bike, tractor and general use. I have the rolling jack which allows you to jack the car up and access brakes tire wheels etc.
    I installed the lift myself, took about 8 hours. 9000lb extra wide.
    My kit should be delivered in May and it will be going straight on to the lift.

Last edited by bluse; 01-11-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My thought in deciding to buy a Bendpak HD9-XL was that if I can only have one lift, a four post makes more sense than a two post. Reason being that with a "jack bridge" (either a hydraulic with built-in jacks or one that allows for the use of a bottle or scissors jack), you can always lift the car and put it on stands while on the lift, allowing for wheel and suspension work, but you can never get the suspension under full compression for other type of work, such as alignment, on a two post lift.

Plus, four-post lifts make pretty good storage racks during the winter months here in the Midwest....

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using a BendPak four-post lift for more than 10-years now and these well built industrial grade lifts work great. Zero problems. The four-post lifts don't need any special concrete pads or footings and don't even need to be anchored to the floor. If you don't bolt the free ramp to the cross heads you can move it in and out to change the track width. I added air cylinders on my 9,000lb lift to make this easier. I could use it to lift the wife's little garden tractor, her Mercedes, my 3/4-ton truck and my tractor just by moving the ramp to the width needed. This lift also had casters and I could move it around the shop and even outside where I would use it to pressure wash the salt off my truck in the winter.

I'm on my second BendPak -- outgrew the first one (9,000lb capacity) when I bought a new F550 that weighs over 10,000lbs empty. I now have a 14,000lb capacity BendPak four-post lift that works with everything from a small compact car to my F550. If my shop ceiling was higher it would lift my 13,000 plus backhoe. I use it as an auto lift, a parking stacker, a work bench, and a crane. One of the most used tools in my shop and well worth the money.
    Last edited by NAZ; 01-11-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    I've been using a BendPak four-post lift for more than 10-years now and these well built industrial grade lifts work great. Zero problems. The four-post lifts don't need any special concrete pads or footings and don't even need to be anchored to the floor. If you don't bolt the free ramp to the cross heads you can move it in and out to change the track width. I added air cylinders on my 9,000lb lift to make this easier. I could use it to lift the wife's little garden tractor, her Mercedes, my 3/4-ton truck and my tractor just by moving the ramp to the width needed. This lift also had casters and I could move it around the shop and even outside where I would use it to pressure wash the salt off my truck in the winter.

I'm on my second BendPak -- outgrew the first one (9,000lb capacity) when I bought a new F550 that weighs over 10,000lbs empty. I now have a 14,000lb capacity BendPak four-post lift that works with everything from a small compact car to my F550. If my shop ceiling was higher it would lift my 13,000 plus backhoe. I use it as an auto lift, a parking stacker, a work bench, and a crane. One of the most used tools in my shop and well worth the money.
    This is probably one of the best endorsements that I've seen in regard to 4 post lifts (or 2 post for that matter) on this forum. Thanks for all the useful info.!

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Finally made the purchase, new 4-post lift from BendPak!
    Cons:
    Didn't realize you need compressed air to release the locks to lower unit.
    That's why I bought my Worth brand lift.
    No C.A. needed and no cables and no safety rods to get bent and keep the locks from engaging. You really can't beat the overarm manual style safety.
    The 7Klb tall unit means I can walk and park under it with no issues.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Question on these lifts. I see this from the bend bak website:

Min. wheelbase @ rated capacity: 135" / 3,429 mm
    Min. wheelbase @ 75% capacity: 115" / 2,921 mm
    Min. wheelbase @ 50% capacity: 95" / 2,413 mm
    Min. wheelbase @ 25% capacity: 80" / 2,032 mm

So this is for a 9000 lb lift. With the MK4s 90" wheelbase that puts it at about 42% capacity or about 3780 lbs. Clearly more than enough. Am I interpreting this correctly?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

What model BendPak do you have?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just lifted my garage door tracks. Liftmaster motor, torsion springs. Nice and smooth and quiet. Ordering the BendPak HD-7W. Rev. M.
    FFR 7644 MK IV. Coyote 5.0, Boss 302 Intake, Tremec TKO600, 8.8 rear 3 link, 3:73, Koni's, Wilwood brakes, 17" Halibrands, Nitto NT555's, SS side-pipes. Velocity Red Mica, Dark Silver stripes. Painted striped dash. Heated Leather seats. Heat, defrosters, wipers. Hidden bluetooth stereo.
    A dream come true.

Post Thanks / Like
    HD-7W rev M 7000 lift, shorter runways. 85” 50% capacity.
    FFR 7644 MK IV. Coyote 5.0, Boss 302 Intake, Tremec TKO600, 8.8 rear 3 link, 3:73, Koni's, Wilwood brakes, 17" Halibrands, Nitto NT555's, SS side-pipes. Velocity Red Mica, Dark Silver stripes. Painted striped dash. Heated Leather seats. Heat, defrosters, wipers. Hidden bluetooth stereo.
    A dream come true.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    David is that a wrench on the top of the closest post on the cable adjuster ?