Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 glove box?

Post Thanks / Like

818 glove box?

Anyone considering adding a glovebox of some kind? I was thinking of something under the passenger side dash, maybe with a magnetic catch? Has anyone come up with anything?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the planning stage of a glove box and it looks obvious with the top edge of the door at the seam between the upper and lower parts of the dash. I'm planning a hinge on the 1-inch frame. I'll come back with a drawing soon. It looks easier than the glove box I put in my roadster.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    That's definitely on my list of things to do after I get mine registered. There's enough empty space under the passenger side dash for something small. I 'm leaning toward a box with access hidden underneath, rather than cutting the dash and trying to make it presentable. Enough space for registration, Cobb AP, and a few other small things is all I would want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my glove box. I've got to re-do the inside of the door. The thing on the inside left is a USB input for audio.

818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    That's sick. Post up full pics of your interior plz. Loving that color combo

Post Thanks / Like
    man that looks clean. did you detail out how you did your center console somewhere?
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    I re-used the Subie console box/arm rest to mount in the 818 between the e-brake handle and the firewall. Worked well, enough room for a cap and maybe driving gloves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! nice work. Was that the plastic dash or the fiberglass one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, would love to see more of that fit out, looks like an top notch job.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes I want to see more of that interior! It looks incredible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man that is a real glove box!!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the compliments, guys. I've never done interior finishing before so it's been a challenge, but fun to learn. I've done a lot of the pieces twice (or thrice!) and wasted a few yards of material. Seats are leather and other surfaces are matching vinyl. Dash is the early 2-piece fiberglass one. I'll post more pictures when I have re-done the E-brake cover, which is another piece I'm doing twice. Then on to the sides and floors. I wonder if I'll be able to do something just once!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be happy when mine runs, much less looks like the snapshot you have shown so far. But if it is any help, each time I get something done the little voice in my head keeps saying "this is going to so much easier next time".
    -Steve

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    I'll I wonder if I'll be able to do something just once!
    If you figure it out, please share the secret.

Post Thanks / Like
    looking great Pete, fancier that my mind's vision... I plan on an oak laminate across the flat surface with a simple flat oak door. Oak door inserts and oak facing for the top of the tunnel and face of the surface between the tunnel and the dash.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got the inside of the glove box door re-done so I'll add it to this old thread. And, more important, it is now called a "Factory Five brochure compartment".

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a glove box

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it but I'm not going to copy it. I'm going for a more spartan look. Halfway between a race car and a simplified streeter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool indeed!

How did you make the standard dashboard fit? In the right hand drive the version the steering wheel is in a different position to the standard car and is too offset for the standard dash to be used? Do you have any other photos of the complete fitment?

Thanks
    George