Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VCP Cooling System Mod

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

VCP Cooling System Mod

I do a mod to bleed all the air the first time you fill it. what happens is there is an air pocket that gets trapped in the motor that would normally go uphill to the radiator in the WRX. In the 818 the water outlet goes down and traps the air. You put in a barb nipple in the water outlet and run it up to the degas tank. If you face the motor from the seating compartment, you drill and tap a 1/8 NPT hole at about 2 O'clock position in the water outlet. Run a line from there to the degas tank and fill as usual. All the air moves up to the degas tank and your overheating problems will be gone.

Brass barb fitting

Hook to the left nipple on the degas tank
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Wayne!

Post Thanks / Like
    Followed this mod myself as have many others and I haven't had any issues. Thanks Wayne.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    good thinking. I'll put that to good use. Looks like you have a SERIOUS tap handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just did this yesterday on a finished car with a chronic overheating problem. Problem solved.
    Mike

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have done this mod on both of my 818S builds. It is a must IMO. I have not had any cooling issues at all. With stock or aftermarket radiator.

Post Thanks / Like
    i did it right at the begining of the build never had a over heat problum at all this should be in the build book for every one to do

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here. I did it and it worked perfectly. Sticky?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    where is everybody putting overflow tank? front? rear? or use 2 thx

11. Thanks Huntman thanked for this post
    Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not even sure you need the front. The rear cap should be lower pressure than the front so if the system pressure gets high enough to require venting, all venting should be taken care of at the rear cap. I think Wayne at one point suggested just capping off the front cap so it doesn't suck air when the system is cooling down.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I cap the over flow port on the radiator, put a 1.3 Bar cap on the radiator, put a 1.1 bar cap on the degas tank and normal coolant recovery tank on it.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wayne.... yeah when I said cap the front cap, I meant front port. I remember you saying you did this a while back and it made sense, and also saves space due to lack of front overflow tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    So what exactly is everyone doing on the front side with this modification? Any photos?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you need two overflow tanks? Where does your right black hose off the expansion/degass tank go?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm only using one overflow tank coming off the degas tank in the engine bay. I capped off the overflow nipple on the radiator. The small hose right under the degas tank cap (I think the one you're referring to on the right) is the one that goes to the overflow tank.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you run two degas lines (one from the top of the engine and one from the radiator), you'll need a T to splice these two together and connect them to the medium sized barb on the degas tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    I'm only using one overflow tank coming off the degas tank in the engine bay. I capped off the overflow nipple on the radiator. The small hose right under the degas tank cap (I think the one you're referring to on the right) is the one that goes to the overflow tank.
    Where does your radiator cap vent go?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    If you run two degas lines (one from the top of the engine and one from the radiator), you'll need a T to splice these two together and connect them to the medium sized barb on the degas tank.
    This requires a line run up front.
    So it sounds like there are two options:
    1.) Run medium barb connection to a T which goes up front to overflow reservoir and radiator cap vent. Cap off front right hand side vent on radiator. Overflow res can be mounted front or back. One hose running along side of car. Perform Wayne's drill tap.

2.) Run medium barb from expansion tank to rear mounted overflow reservoir. Run radiator cap vent to front mounted overflow reservoir. Cap right side radiator vent. Perform Wayne's drill tap mod. No hose running along side of car.

Which is better?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    Where does your radiator cap vent go?
    The nipple directly below the radiator cap is capped off, as I mentioned. There is also a coolant nipple on the top corner of the radiator that I also capped off.

Edit: My understanding of Wayne's mod is that it shifts the coolant connection on the degas tank from the top corner of the radiator to the top of the coolant cross-over pipe on the engine. I know some are running this configuration so that's what I'm planning to do. Here's some info from the 02 wrx FSM:
    rad.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by STiPWRD; 08-04-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: To elaborate

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    This requires a line run up front.
    So it sounds like there are two options:
    1.) Run medium barb connection to a T which goes up front to overflow reservoir and radiator cap vent. Cap off front right hand side vent on radiator. Overflow res can be mounted front or back. One hose running along side of car. Perform Wayne's drill tap.

2.) Run medium barb from expansion tank to rear mounted overflow reservoir. Run radiator cap vent to front mounted overflow reservoir. Cap right side radiator vent. Perform Wayne's drill tap mod. No hose running along side of car.

Which is better?
    Not quite.

Front barb on the radiator neck goes to an overflow only, not a degas. You either use a front overflow or you cap it and clamp it to ensure it doesn't leak.

Front barb on the side of the radiator that vents air can either be capped too, or can be routed back to the rear degas medium barb.

If you do Wayne's mod, you'll add the barb to the upper aluminum coolant pipe on the engine and route that to the degas medium barb.

If you do Wayne's mod AND run a hose from the radiator side fitting all the way back to the degas, you'll need a T to connect both these lines to the medium degas barb.

Large degas barb goes to turbo, small degas barb goes to rear overflow.

Post Thanks / Like
    How can you just cap front radiator cap neck vent? If air is up front, it can't escape?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    How can you just cap front radiator cap neck vent? If air is up front, it can't escape?
    The cap neck vent isn't for air, it's for overflow. You don't need a front and a rear overflow really. The rear cap has a lower venting point than the front so if the system exceeds pressure, only the rear cap should be venting. The front cap should never vent. I suppose if something went REALLY wrong and the back cap couldn't keep up with the amount of overflow required (probably due to something very substantial like a head gasket failure), then and only then would the front cap need to vent.

If you are talking about needing to bleed air from the radiator, there is another barb on the side/top of the radiator for that. You can route that to the rear degas. If you cap it, you may need to check to see if there is air in the radiator by jacking the front of the car up and removing the radiator cap then topping off as needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I added some info to my previous post. Since the coolant flows through the radiator top to bottom and there is no heat generation inside the radiator (only heat absorption by the air), there is no chance that you will get vapor bubbles that will need to be vented so it's ok if there's a small air bubble at the very top of the radiator, the coolant will still circulate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it, thank you for the information. The original information in this thread doesn't really mention anything about the front end of the car. I am still a bit hesitant to block of the front rad cap vent, that was put there for a reason?

Nevermind...I think I just figured the answer to my own question...the front is designed to pull coolant in, the top/engine reservoir is designed to discharge. This way the subaru system is constantly purging any potential air/overpressure and filling from the lower point, i.e., the rad cap. right?

I know each is designed for overflow/expansion, but if there is air at the top of the front radiator, when that overpressures and vents, it will purge the air automatically. Given all the overheating issues this car is having, I didn't want to take any chances. I like the idea of tipping the car up to fill it though.

Anyways, I may just keep the stock overflow reservoir up front mounted where I have it and run the rad cap neck vent from the front radiator to this overflow and T off to go to the small barb on the expansion tank as it is in my 06 legacy. I heard from a coworker that the medium barb does not even exist on some older subaru models.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I only run the rear coolant overflow tank. If you run both, you run the risk of one tank being sucked dry and introducing air back in the system due to different height potentials. With one overflow tank, the expansion and subsequent draw back is controlled in one spot.

GS guy
    Why not use the throttle body warm-up outlet already built into the water manifold for this purpose? On my engine it's located at the top/high point of the manifold just below the throttle body. Seems like a built-in solution for getting air out of the top of the engine?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I debated doing this, but I checked it with a laser level and the point at which it comes off the water manifold is not the highest point in the system. Right where Wayne taps the water manifold (where the hose goes on) is the highest point. Putting it on the throttle body outlet would still help prevent air lock when filling the system, and would provide some measure of automatic bleeding of air, but the best possible spot is right where Wayne does his.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it necessary to put some type of sealant on the threads of the new barb you are putting in?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef818 View Post
    Is it necessary to put some type of sealant on the threads of the new barb you are putting in?
    Yes, either teflon tape or blue loctite.

And you can shortcut your fill time by using a wet/dry shop vac. Put the hose on the barb fitting, use the vacuum on the hose while keeping the degas tank filled, apply vacuum until you get water out the hose and then the system will be 95% bled and will self bleed the rest in the first heat cycle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    when you look inside the pipe you have screwed in the 1/8" NPT into, does it need to be flush or can it be screwed in further, so the threads of the NPT come out. Will that be fine or will the that give the air bubbles a place to gather around and not be flushed out the NPT nipple

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef818 View Post
    when you look inside the pipe you have screwed in the 1/8" NPT into, does it need to be flush or can it be screwed in further, so the threads of the NPT come out. Will that be fine or will the that give the air bubbles a place to gather around and not be flushed out the NPT nipple
    you can thread it in deeper

Post Thanks / Like
    Interestingly enough, the factory radiator on WRXs built til July 2002 had no cap on the radiator. It was only added later to ease burping of the system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have the pictures from the first few posts, or is there a trick to get photobucket to show them?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you click on the pics, they will open on photobuckets site

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    If you click on the pics, they will open on photobuckets site
    They dont for me. Maybe just for you since they are your pics?

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 4.48.47 PM.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Does anyone have the pictures from the first few posts, or is there a trick to get photobucket to show them?
    The photos are actually stored at PhotoBucket and referenced here. PhotoBucket, at the first of July 2017, changed their policy of free referencing of photos to requiring a hefty subscription model. The photos can not be shown unless Wayne's upgrade's his PhotoBucket account at about $400/year.

I suspect Wayne will evetually get this done. Hopefully others can help (Wayne is very busy) and add the photos. I will soon also need this trick!
    ~ Mark

818C S/N 429ES: Start Date 1 September 2016
    2001 NB Miata LS3 V8 440 rwhp
    2004 Miata MazdaSpeed Factory Turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    Photo bucket is full of garbage. Halt time it is so busy it hard to get a link. Reviews are terrible.

Save the headache and go to PostImage hosting- free and works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Imgur. Works great for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast