Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meet the All-New Factory Five 818C!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nativo View Post
    Can a 6'3' man with a helmet fit inside?

Gurney bump.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear Bob:
    What did you do about the gas tank

Thanks,
    Gas tank is in front

P1050108ss.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Gas tank is in front

P1050108ss.jpg
    Great. any idea on how it help/hurt weight distribution and cornering performance??

Post Thanks / Like
    Great. any idea on how it help/hurt weight distribution and cornering performance??
    Half tank of gas (7gal) is about 50 lbs. I moved the battery to back.
    The front of the 818 is very light. I prefer to add the weigh to the front.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy G View Post
    Here's some pics I took of the 818C at the open house:

Attachment 42752
    Curious - did FFR change something on the side inlets (the ones behind the doors) or simply cut the openings bigger instead of using that mesh and aluminum trim? I was thinking of simply cutting the openings bigger and will be quite pleased if this is the end result.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the fuel tank was somewherre behind the seats or where in that area, or did I miss that.......lol

Bob, is that something you did?

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    I thought the fuel tank was somewherre behind the seats or where in that area, or did I miss that.......lol

Bob, is that something you did?

David
    Hi david
    Mike and I are both 6'+ and 300 lbs.
    3 of us so far have go to a front mounted tank.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi david
    Mike and I are both 6'+ and 300 lbs.
    3 of us so far have go to a front mounted tank.
    Bob
    I like that idea! Kind of kills it if you want to use the up front area for some kind of storage, but hey I would as well as some others, I am sure would prefer performance over storage.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    I like that idea! Kind of kills it if you want to use the up front area for some kind of storage, but hey I would as well as some others, I am sure would prefer performance over storage.
    David
    Hi David
    I actually have lots of storage in the front.
    I am going to add a large foam block in front (like a 30 gallon cooler) as crash protection and internal storage.
    My main radiator is in the rear. The small radiator you see is for my Awic. I will be adding a duplicate radiator for the air-water-oil cooler.
    Bob
    P1050308s.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi David
    I actually have lots of storage in the front.
    I am going to add a large foam block in front (like a 30 gallon cooler) as crash protection and internal storage.
    My main radiator is in the rear. The small radiator you see is for my Awic. I will be adding a duplicate radiator for the air-water-oil cooler.
    Bob
    P1050308s.jpg
    Bob, soon as I read this post I knew there was something familiar about what you were saying. So I went back and checked some older posting in some of my 818 threads. Said to myself "oh yeah Bob is the one who asked me to mockup some rear venting for him and said why"

Now that I see the smaller rad in the front, you do have lots of room.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the new front end and top. Did they open the rear hatch? can you actually work on the car from the top or do you need to do everything from the bottom with a lift like a cayman?
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the rear hatch of the coupe top is hinged so it can be opened.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    *The new Coupe also comes with a*revised front end which includes new fenders, 3D-printed headlamp bucket and revised headlight design, nose, and grill. *The new 818 Coupe will begin shipping this summer, and you can save your place in line by placing a pre-order for only $99. *The target production start date is August 1st, 2015.
    Question: Will the 818R and 818S come standard with the new nose after August 1st, 2015.
    Will the sexy eyes front end still be available?
    Bob
    cateyes.jpg
    eyes.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Question: Will the 818R and 818S come standard with the new nose after August 1st, 2015.
    Bob
    cateyes.jpg
    eyes.jpg
    At the open house, Dave said the new nose was standard on the coupe and an upgrade for the other models. I took that to mean the old front end would still be the default for the R and S models.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob
    I spoke with Dave Smith at the open house and he said that they will sell the new nose on the coupe and the original nose on the R and S. They will also allow you to get the 'other' nose as an option.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K3LAG View Post
    I spoke with Dave Smith at the open house and he said that they will sell the new nose on the coupe and the original nose on the R and S. They will also allow you to get the 'other' nose as an option.

Larry
    Either one, makes me cringe to think of mounting a front license plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Any news if the new nose will be more expensive?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it has only been a week, but any news on when the pre-order folks will hear about their place in line?
    FFR Build Status: Reset button hit
    '03 Subaru Impreza eSi RHD...because Japan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flytosail View Post
    This is a possible solution...

http://www.hidetheplate.com

Post Thanks / Like
    They told us at open house that the new nose will be an upgrade on the R and S, so I think that means it'll be more expensive. Dave did say he'd try to make it an affordable upgrade for current owners. But they also said the new headlight parts are a lot more expensive than the existing headlights, so I imagine it would have to be an upgraded cost option for new buyers to get the Coupe nose on an R or S.

Post Thanks / Like
    So far nothing on the website. I'd just like to know during which month they plan on releasing the price for current owners and ready to order. I have to plan my next build steps I don't want to start spending time on the old nose but if they plan on releasing the prices in September, then I have to organize something to start the body before even though I wouldn’t be able to align panels with the fenders.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you mean. I have to have a front plate in MD.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Who else has received their order confirmation from FFR? Mine came by e-mail today.

Cheers, John

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing here yet. A bit jealous. What is the eta?
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    When did you put down your deposit for the hardtop? I haven't gotten anything except a receipt of payment when it was announced. I really want to find out pricing for the front end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    When did you put down your deposit for the hardtop? I haven't gotten anything except a receipt of payment when it was announced. I really want to find out pricing for the front end.
    Agreed, I like the new front end a lot, but is it affordable?

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

weld a bolt to the frame and use this bad boy

3161_1.jpg
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    Agreed, I like the new front end a lot, but is it affordable?
    Give the cost of the hardtop... I wouldn't be surprised is the cost was similar for the front end.
    "aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines" - some old dude

"Shut up! I know what I'm doing" - some angry finn

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered an entire 818C, not just a hardtop, and I have no idea what pricing will be on replacement parts for guys with the original bodies or when they will be available. The coupe is priced at $12,990 before options.

No exact word on timing. My confirmation e-mail repeated what Dave Smith has already said -- production begins in August and delivery dates to follow. My e-mail said to expect further details around that time.

I know I was in the first handful (four or five) to plop down a deposit on the 818C when the website opened for those orders. I don't have any idea how many they have backlogged that they are working through.

Cheers, John

Post Thanks / Like
    What exactly will start production in Aug?

- The 818C (which is essentially the hard top);
    - The new Front End parts as an upgrade;
    - Both.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    What exactly will start production in Aug?

- The 818C (which is essentially the hard top);
    - The new Front End parts as an upgrade;
    - Both.
    Frank, you'd have to ask the factory to be sure. But I think by inference, the answer is "both" as far as manufacturing. Sales may be another matter. The 818C is being shipped ONLY with the new bodywork, or so I have been told -- that implies that by August they will be making the hardtop and the new front end. (Actual shipment dates are unknown to me -- the exact quote from my order confirmation e-mail was as follows: "Production for the Coupe is slated for August and we will be contacting you then to put you on the schedule.")

I have no idea when there will be spare front ends to ship as upgrades to existing 818S/818R kits, or if they will over-produce those and try to ship them simultaneously with the new coupe. I don't know how much of a backlog they have for 818C orders after the announcement, and I don't know how many hardtop-only orders they have for 818S kits. Hardtop apparently will not fit 818R.

Cheers, John
    Last edited by dukegrad98; 06-25-2015 at 01:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the new front end, and hardtop. Awesome.

The new nose I see some strong influences from the popular 'catfish' design contest entry, the one by Xavier.

Regardless if you like it or not, I expect most would agree it certainly looks a whole lot less kit, and whole lot more car now. Very OEM look. This is perhaps the highest compliment one can give to a component car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    Regardless if you like it or not, I expect most would agree it certainly looks a whole lot less kit, and whole lot more car now. Very OEM look. This is perhaps the highest compliment one can give to a component car.
    It looks more like a special high end one-off concept car, which means it will attract even more attention, which means I want it even more. loll

Speaking of which, the new nose will be available to everyone at the same as the 818C normal orders (not pre-orders) and production, so let's aim August for now.
    I am SO damn lucky I haven't started body work yet! Something tells me this new nose will be a lot easier to fit, it looks like it, hopefully it is. I'll deal with the side markers I need for inspection that are not on the new nose but are on the old headlights (Camry's). I prefer to fit side markers than having a lot of issues fitting the bumper, fenders and headlight buckets.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Side markers shouldn't be too hard to implement. It's a heck of a lot easier than the current front end. I want the new front so bad just don't want it to cost an arm and leg to get. The top is a stretch but I get where the price comes into play with all of the components you get with it.

Hopefully the new front will come in for half the cost as the top but I don't know yet. If memory serves I remember a guy on here trying to get a replacement front bumper and it was going to cost a fortune from the factory. Hopefully they do a pre order or give a discount for guys who want it that already ordered a kit. Something that falls in line with the upgrade cost for the new parts for new buys of the S or R. Only time will tell though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember that guy, he hit coming off (or in) his driveway if I recall. Hum, 475? Was that the cost of the bumper?

I'm sure FFR wasn't selling bumpers alone a lot, but they will sell quite more the upgraded front nose, so that may help to reduce cost. Plus, the bumper is now a plastic insert or something? Maybe that helps reducing costs too.

I say between 1k and 2k, mostly at the 1.5k mark. Shipping's going to kill me, though.
    If they sell the base kit for 10k+the hard top at 3k+the nose at 1.5, that makes the 818C kit at 14.5k.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember that guy, he hit coming off (or in) his driveway if I recall. Hum, 475? Was that the cost of the bumper?

I'm sure FFR wasn't selling bumpers alone a lot, but they will sell quite more the upgraded front nose, so that may help to reduce cost. Plus, the bumper is now a plastic insert or something? Maybe that helps reducing costs too.

I say between 1k and 2k, mostly at the 1.5k mark. Shipping's going to kill me, though.
    If they sell the base kit for 10k+the hard top at 3k+the nose at 1.5, that makes the 818C kit at 14.5k.
    That was me. I ended up paying $750 for the bumper, plus $350 or so for shipping to AZ.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol didn't want to through names out there but I knew it was you. I was just using you as an example for a part that size I can see it being somewhat expense to upgrade hopefully they will work with current kit owners.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm confused... It's no secret that the 818C is priced at $12,990.

Cheers, John

Post Thanks / Like
    Well $14.5k is the effective price for those of us converting an 818S to an 818C. It won't be so bad for me because I like the 818S front end more so I'm not going to buy the new one.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and then your old, unused bumper can be sold to someone with an unconverted 818S (or R) and gets in wreck. If they live driving distance to you, they would probably be willing to pay the full $750 price (that FFR would charge), so they don't have to pay $350 or so for shipping (plus have to wait for it to arrive).

Your old fenders, etc would probably be spare parts gold as well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast