BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring Wonks please help

Post Thanks / Like

Wiring Wonks please help

I got a Pioneer receiver with NAV and there are 2 connections I can't locate:
    1. A wire should connect to the "lighting switch terminal"
    2. A wire should connect to the "vehicle speed detection circuit"

My donor was a 2006 WRX sedan w/ manual AC. I've successfully dieted the harnesses and have all wiring diagrams. For electronics, I'm about the same level as a trained monkey - I can carefully follow directions but don't understand why it works. Thanks for your help about where to make these 2 connections.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    if wire number (1) is aronge or orange with a stripe, dont connect it at all. Its the illumination wire so the screen dims with the parking lights, but sometimes the polarity is opposite of the car and it will keep popping the fuse.

second wire is most likely going to have to go to a VSS, cant really help you with where that is

Post Thanks / Like
    Connecting the illumination wouldn't blow fuses. I have mine connected and I have a pioneer double din too. I don't have nav though so i can't help you there. Connecting to the vss would be my first guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that I should connect to VSS, but where is that? I've been searching NASIOC but all I can find is stuff about which installation harness to use, not specifically which connector or pin to use. I kept the OE cruise control system so is the VSS in that system somewhere?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the speedo page from the 2007 schematic that I have.

I don't know if the signal is compatible with what the Radio is looking for, but the only one that would work is Pin 1 from the Speed Sensor. It is Green and Yellow at the sensor and the dash connectors (B39/i4 or B37/i2 depending on the donor) and then Green and Black to the dash connector pin C2.

I4 or I2 is probably the easiest place to find the signal and it will be close to the dash where the radio is. These connectors are easy to find as you start at the 3 dash connectors and follow the cable to the first set of connectors you get to.

-Steve

Last edited by svanlare; 06-15-2015 at 01:39 PM.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Steve! It even says "vehicle speed sensor" so that must be the place to connect. I've got a few other wires to connect and more work on my console to hold the Pioneer before I can try it but I'll confirm. Thanks!

Anyone know where I should connect to the "lighting switch terminal"?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if the deck wants to be connected to the power for the lights (12V or open) or if the deck wants to be connected to the dimmer (0-12v). So this may not be helpful or right, but here are the options. I only have the 2007 schematic, but I've highlighted the wires you might be interested in and hope the 2006 is close to the same.

If the deck just wants a signal for lights on/off, then the easiest place to get is from the the parking switch on top of the steering column. For my 2007, pin 1 (White/Red) is always on (so if the parking switch is turned on, so will the lights whether the key is in or not) and Pin 2 (Black/Red) is only on when the car is on and the lights are on. Pin 3 [Orange - and helpfully highlighted orange :-) ] provides the power to the clearance lights. Tapping into that wire will be either +12V when the lights are on and 0V when the lights are off.

If the deck wants 0-12 volts, the the most likely wire to grab is the line driving all the dimmed lights on the dash. Is it Orange/White, and highlighted green in these two pages. Easiest place on the dash to get it is either pin 2 on the hazard switch of pin 17 of I3 going to the dash. The final option is you might want the wire connected to to the actual dimmer (Blue). It goes from the dimmer switch B71 - Pin 11 to the Body Integrated Unit Pin B18.

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, thanks for your help with my wiring. My 2006 is a little different from your 2007 diagram but I followed your logic and got everything working. Now I've got NAV, Apple Car Play, Bluetooth, HD stations, Siri types and reads text, and I shorted the E-brake connection so I can surf da web and play DVDs while driving. (I know that's not legal.) I also know these "features" will make all the R guys on this forum puke, but that's one reason to add these complexities. Thanks, Steve.