FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: AWIC cooling hose solutions

Post Thanks / Like

AWIC cooling hose solutions

What is everyone doing for the hoses that connect to the HE for an AWIC setup? I have Wayne's setup and I'm having trouble with the hoses kinking and interfering with the splash guards. I'm thinking I may need new fittings, but I'm having trouble finding some. Maybe something like a swivel fitting to allow for freedom of movement. Pictures would be helpful! Thanks,

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just getting ready to go kart. I've routed them to prevent kinking but haven't installed splash shields yet. I fully anticipate the splash shields will need to be heavily modified to work with my brake lines/cooling lines. Wish I had installed them prior to the suspension and brake lines. Would've been a whole lot faster/easier without everything that I now will need to work around.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm finishing up mine right now. I'll take pics and post them later. I went down the center tunnel with my hoses.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post pics of the battery area where your hoses cross into the driver compartment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is mine. Starting to get a little messy looking.

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't want to know how not good looking mines are.

2015-05-23 07.29.04.jpg
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Can you post pics of the battery area where your hoses cross into the driver compartment.
    I'll have to do it tomorrow. My phone was having problems where it wouldn't charge. My battery is in the back too, so that helps, but it should still work. I made two holes at the front of the tunnel just above where the frame makes a V, one on either side of the center brace. One then goes to the top of the HE, the other goes into the outlet of the pump. The inlet of the pump goes to the bottom of the HE. This makes the pump the lowest point and there are no (or perhaps very very slight) areas where the hose goes up then back down then up to create traps.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted the pump very similar to Metros. I built a bracket to move it a little closer to the drivers side and away from the battery. I'm on the road again this week, but can take pictures this weekend. I have the hoses down the side, current zip-tied to the radiator lines until post go-kart to make sure I'm happy with the placement. I'm a long way from splash shields and expect I'll be solving problems when I get there :-)
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted my pump up front on the front FW and V crossbars at the bottom, in the middle/center line of the car. It's a big pump, the Meziere. Could have done it in the back but I need space back there for my AWIC water tank (too big to fit up front) and I need to move weight up front as much as I can.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ok, I'm feeling like a newbie here. What is AWIC water tank? and what is the purpose of this pump being talked about?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a water tank (3Gal) to have more water in the system, which usually keeps the water in the system cooler, cuz there's more water to absorb the heat.
    The pump is used in the exact same way as an engine coolant pump, to circulate water to the AWIC cooler, which then heats up by absorbing the intake piping's heat, and then goes to the heat exchanger (rad) to get cooled.
    Frank

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    The tank can also double as a degas tank (traps any air in the system which allows automatic bleeding of the system), if setup properly. If it's a big tank, it can also be used as an ice tank to cool intake temps below ambient (for short periods of time like drag or autoX runs).

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's see how well these photos came out:

HE: Used my brackets that offset the HE to the driver side to allow the hoses to run straight down without hitting the radiator. P clamps will be added to hold everything snug. Both lines come down the side and run up between the subframe and the steering rack. Top fitting is the hot side, bottom fitting is the cold side and feeds into the pump.

Under radiator, over subframe:

Through Vee in frame towards battery tray:

Pump will be mounted to side. Need to make a small aluminum tab to mount it as the supplied mount runs the opposite direction of the frame rail in this orientation. Both lines then run into holes cut low on the firewall and run through the tunnel.

Up from the tunnel and around to the side of the frame. Filler cap is near where the fuel filler is.

I don't have all the fittings I need (gave some away when someone was short) but the driver side has a straight fitting that attaches to the fill cap. The passenger side will have a 90 degree fitting that loops around.

For the most part, the pump is the lowest point. Everything in both lines moves upwards towards the HE or the core and filler where it can bleed off air.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Tanks for posting that Craig. Does anyone have a good source for the hose fittings? I'm having trouble finding some in 1/2" NPT. I think I need some more elbows/adapters to make mine work.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get mine from Summit and Amazon. Amazon pretty much has all of them, most of which are even Prime. I've bought tons of 1/2", 1/8", 3/8" and even 3/4" NPT fittings from Amazon, and a few from Summit. Both have bungs too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got mine from frozenboost. Haven't checked elsewhere though amazon often has good stuff.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Careful Craig, if ever one of your hose leaks inside the cockpit and center tunnel...
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey GUNS, Verocious motorsports might have some stuff too.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Careful Craig, if ever one of your hose leaks inside the cockpit and center tunnel...
    It shouldn't be a problem. I'm getting an iwire harness so there will be minimal parts in there to cause leaks in the first place and the harness will be above the water lines.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pics Craig, ya good thing your getting the iwire harness it will definitely clean up a lot of your wiring. Your a little ways out though on the waitlist though. Im trying to run my ac lines where you ran your awic lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    What sort of hose should we use for the AWIC and where is a good place to buy it? Does anyone know how hot the water should get during hard driving on boost?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most everyone is using 3/4" heater hose which is very commonly available at auto parts stores, online, and even in some hardware stores. Some people will run 3/4" aluminum tubing down the sides (just like with the coolant pipes for the engine) in order to clean the look up and reduce weight (the 3/4" rubber hose is quite heavy).

I can't say for sure what temps you'll see in there on the hot-side but I would guess it to be in the mid 100 degree range.... 120 to 180 or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    That's a really good deal. I got some 3/4 heater hose from NAPA locally.

Post Thanks / Like
    I managed to run mine along with the driver's side coolant tubing. I chose that side because it's the cool side of the radiator. There's plenty of space except for the section under the dead pedal. I'm still working on the best way to handle it, but basically I think my dead pedal is going to be pushed over about a half inch to give the hoses room without being pinched. I may change it to run one hose on the passenger side. That way I won't have to mod the dead pedal.

My center tunnel is cramped because I kept almost the whole stock electrical harness, and I didn't like the idea of a water hose in there with all the wiring and relays. The hose will probably fail eventually (years from now, I assume). I'd rather discover it by finding leak, not by shorting the electronics.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been considering making the routing through the center tunnel all aluminum tubing and then just rubber in the front and above the gas tank.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great idea. I'm tired of cracking open the tunnel, but the next time I have to go in there, I might do the same. I imagine I'll need to get to the wiring for the Coup windows, so that would be a good time to put in piping.