Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: What is your interest level in owning an LCD system?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like what I'm seeing so far, and the price is fair. I would sign up!

8 44.44%
  • I'm interested, but I'd like to know more about the product before committing.

7 38.89%
  • No thanks, too expensive and the analog gauges are just fine for me.

1 5.56%
  • Sorry, too late. I'm not removing my dash to modify the pod.

2 11.11%

Thread: Custom LCD Gauges - Who's Interested?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Custom LCD Gauges - Who's Interested?

I’ve signed up as a vendor, and as many of you have expressed interest in my LCD
    gauge project, I'd like to make it available for sale.

Audi_basic.jpg
    modified_final2.jpg8basic.pngconfigfile.pngcsv_file.png

At this time, I’m still in the “development & testing” stage, and not quite ready to
    ship product. Early testing indicates that everything will operate accordingly.

I’m buttoning up the interior, and wiring of my car this week, and hope to have the
    LCD gauges working by month end.

At the moment, I’d like to get a sense of how many people may be interested in getting a
    system in the near future. I’d like to have two beta testers that will receive the system
    at a discounted price, and help me work out any unforeseen bugs.

Price points will be far less than the Autometer, and MoTec products, yet offer similar
    features with more options. I’ll be offering basic kits for simple readouts , and more advanced
    versions that encompass some of the gadgets shown in my videos (such as sonor sensors,
    GPS tracking, Traction control, and ABS to name a few).

Basic Kits will include:
    - LCD tablet with Bluetooth keyboard, Windows 7/8
    - One processor in a weather proof enclosure
    - Filtered DC Power supply for electronics power
    - All wiring, sensors, modules
    - PDF and video demo, and install instructions
    - Custom personal welcome message display on start-up
    - Email and Phone Support
    - Standard Warranty
    - Access to website for software revision downloads (free)
    dc_supply.jpgproject_box.JPGasus.JPG
    Basic Kits will do the following (at a minimum):
    - LCD 200 MPH Speedo , . 8K RPM Analog / 12K RPM digital Tach., engine temp, fuel level , oil pressure
    - Data logging for the above inputs, plus brake, tps % , IAT, ECT, OAT (compatible with CSV files, and HP Tuners)
    - Daily data logging for distance, fuel usage, odometer, date/time stamp (great for business and travel logs)
    - Configurable shift light LED strip
    - Audible, and visual warnings
    - LED lighting control (LED lights extra)
    - OAT, IAT, Turn, Fog, High Beams indications
    - Trouble warning system for High temperature, low fuel, fuel range, low battery voltage/charging, engine MIL, doors/hatch/hood open
    - Oil change reminder, custom maintenance reminders (tire rotation, brakes, etc.)

**Note: This does NOT replace the factory PCM computer. It works in tandem with the PCM, and does
    not effect the tuning, or function of the engine. It simply reads the status just like an independent mechanical gauges.

Price for the Basic kit as listed above, $1500 + tax and shipping (Canadian Funds).

That price can be lowered if you have your own compatible tablet for the vehicle.

Also consider that selling your analog gauges can offset the cost of getting into this LCD setup.

When I'm ready, I'll require a deposit before building your system and 3-4 weeks for shipping.
    The Beta test recipients will be drawn from a hat (live on video!) to be fair.

Thanks for checking out this post, and leaving feedback. I have a great deal of work ahead of me
    for updating my website, writing a manual, and spec'ing out the system!

Thanks,
    Tino

P.S. I’m also setup for PCM tuning for those who need VATS removed, simple gear changes,
    And start-up tunes. Last but not least, aftermarket & performance parts are available for
    pretty much anything you need for your car.

<span style="font-family: arial"><font color="#000000">
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 06-28-2015 at 08:04 PM.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    For those that would like more information, please send me a Private Message or post your question here. I'm sure there are several bits of info that
    I forgot to mention in my first post!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice design! Driving an S6 makes those gauges very familiar indeed!

Do you plan to include things like an odometer?

The pic shows the tach display in "cold engine" mode. Will you animate the red "LEDs" along the edge of the tach as the engine warms up like the real car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you, and good questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Boostaddiction View Post
    Do you plan to include things like an odometer?
    Yes, it will be stored in a non volatile memory within the processor.

The pic shows the tach display in "cold engine" mode. Will you animate the red "LEDs" along the edge of the tach as the engine warms up like the real car?
    At the moment, the "redline" is static. In updated photos, the limit is set to the estimated upper shift limit for my engine (~6500 RPM). It would be
    easy to animate the "LEDs" as temperature increases to operating values (it would be similar code to the temperature LEDs).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tino,

I may have missed it, but would this package be compatible with the InfinityBox (ISIS) wiring system?

Thanks,

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike,

Good call on the InfinityBox. I didn't consider any interface with other systems in my concept, but there is definitely methods of doing so.

I'm interpreting "compatible" a few different ways, so let me clarify:

- The LCD gauges can be installed in a car with the ISIS system as it operates independently.

- Can the LCD system receive inputs, and updates from the ISIS? I would need to know specifics on voltage, and signal type, as well as function.
    The processor can accept a wide range of information, so it can be programmed to accept an output from the ISIS system. Perhaps I should have
    an InfinityBox user as a Beta tester if there is such a need to communicate between boxes.

- Can the LCD system output information to the ISIS? I would have to research the requirements for the data types, and voltages of the system.
    I'm aware that the InfinityBox is able to control doors, engine start/stop, smart phone remote etc. which the Advanced LCD kit will do as well.
    The User can select which system they choose for operating these functions, or the LCD gauges can easily be programmed to work in unison.

This will be part of my homework when the Advanced Kit is ready to debut.

FYI: For those wondering, the Basic LCD system can be expanded for engine start/stop, smart phone remote, door/hatch/hood release, etc.
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 06-17-2015 at 01:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    After speaking with Ron (my Fiber, and Carbon go-to guy), he has figured out a way to install the screen without modifying the pod!

This means a much faster proto-type, and beta test date. All that is needed will be a new carbon fibre face for the trim. Thank you
    again Ron for the idea. Those of you that already have completed cars, and wish to get into this system will have a much easier time.

lcd.jpggaugepod.JPGbracket_and_trim.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm updating the progress as time allows. This evening a template was made to get measurements for a temporary poly/Lexan faceplate.
    While the bugs get worked out, I'd like to try my hand at a carbon fibre piece, and possibly an aluminum trim as well.

For those that have new GTM kits and have not cut up their carbon fibre faceplate, you're in luck. The mounting system that I have in mind
    will work well with the stock piece. Details coming soon.

I'd like to get two Beta testers within the next few weeks. Someone that is fairly good with connecting wires in their car, and can be
    reached by phone if needed to discuss possible snags. If you would like to become a Beta tester, send me a Private Message with your
    name, and email.

I'd like to have a video uploaded within the next few days to detail the features of the system. Enjoy the photos
    template1.jpgtemplate2.jpgmodified_final2.jpg
    P.S. The GTM photo in this image will be replaced when the Beta kits ship.
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 06-21-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A quick update for those following along:

I've made a decent poly template that will serve for testing purposes. It just needs some clean-up around the edge, but otherwise fits the dash pod perfectly.
    There is a 1/4" gasket material between the screen and trim plate. My next step is to find suitable hardware to mount the tablet, and we're off to the races.

I'm working on the demo video this weekend, and will upload everything as soon as possible. The video will show all features, and functions of the system.

Last edited by LCD Gauges; 06-25-2015 at 03:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As promised, I have a demo video to share with everyone. I’m a little disappointed about the clarity due to my camera being out of focus for the entire presentation. My voice is also a bit low overall, however you can still hear everything. I’d like to redo this video using video capture software so that you can see everything in high
    definition. In any case, this version should answer most of the questions for those who were wondering about features, and functions.

I am including the screen shots since the video is blurry, and if anyone would like the executable file, I will email the information so you can play it on your home computer to get a sense of the details and resolution.
    8basic.pngconfigfile.png
    The total viewing dimensions are 9 inch width x 5 inche height (8 7/8 x 4 15/16”)
    Gauge diameters are 3 7/8 inches
    modified_final2.jpg

Installation will be quite simple. If you can plug in a USB cable, and connect wires to some screw terminals, it will be a snap. As mentioned, I'm working on
    a manual, and video of the connections. All wires will be labelled, and colour coded when possible.

I forgot to mention in the video that the data logging feature will track KMs/Miles driven each day, and the amount of fuel used (based on the sender voltage, and
    data figures you enter from MPG testing of your personal car).
    csv_file.png

Post Thanks / Like
    That is amazing Tino! It appears to have everything that you could want in order keep track of the car's systems.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike! I'm trying to make this kit as complete as possible, and versatile.
    Who would have thought I'd end up developing a product when building this car?

I'm working quickly to get the baseline tests uploaded by the end of the week,
    and then roll out some Beta units once everything checks out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukn4trbl View Post
    Thanks Mike! I'm trying to make this kit as complete as possible, and versatile.
    Who would have thought I'd end up developing a product when building this car?

I'm working quickly to get the baseline tests uploaded by the end of the week,
    and then roll out some Beta units once everything checks out.
    The really cool thing is that it is not limited to the GTM.

I could see using this in any custom build. I have a 37 ford project that will take place a little later on, and this would work beautifully in the confined dash space of that car. Any retro-mod to Corvettes, Mustangs, classic Pick-up Trucks, etc., would benefit from something like this.

One of the coolest things about modern Jet cockpits, is the EFIS systems.(Electronic Flight Instrument System). Everything is dark glass panels until you light them up, then you see the crisp imaging of the instruments on the screens. The good thing is that when using a system like this in a car, the driver isn't screwed if the computer crashes. (Jets have redundant systems, but you see what I mean)...

I'd suggest that you should:
    - Apply for a patent QUICK!
    - Test the crap out of it in your GTM, real world driving.
    - Determine your cost to produce & ship.
    - Determine realistic lead times.
    - Then advertise it in magazines such as Street Rodder & the Good Guys Gazette.
    - Post a video showing functionality on Car-Centric web-sites,
    - and from that point on, be ready to produce!

Nice product.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 07-20-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Awesome Mike! You do know I work in Aviation, and LOVE avionics?

Thanks for the positive comments, it is motivating!

QQ400.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want to be negative, but you do realize that there are quite a few programmable dashes out there already, right? The latest one from Motec is currently my favorite. Although I will hand it to you that your packaging is pretty nice, and digital analog gauges are pretty limited on the other options I have seen. The Motec is pretty expensive, but the Racepak, and AIM units are nice also, and much cheaper. As I have posted previously, I am also a fan of the SPA consoles, especially for street cars.

http://spatechnique.com/store/itemList.cfm?catID=6
    Last edited by crash; 06-30-2015 at 09:47 AM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Mike, no negativity taken!

I know there are a few out there, but I believe this design out performs what's available, and for a 1/3 of the price. I'm not sure what
    you're getting for prices, but MoTec and Autometer are selling for $3100-$4000 USD + tax depending on the system. The SPA are listing
    for $1400 USD + taxes.

My kit has a larger display, way more options, personalized interface, data logging, gps, accelerometer,and also interactive. Not to mention it is designed
    with FFR platforms in mind (can be custom tailored to most kits).

I'm also working to integrate Traction control, ABS, and a host of other add-ons which you can't get with the other brands (smart phone remote,
    alarm system, twilight sentinel, etc.).

It's essentially an expandable controller that logs, monitors, and controls vehicle functions. I'll have to clarify that information as it may seem
    vague at the moment.

The initial systems will perform as shown in the video, but can be expanded to replicate functions of OEM electronics.
    Coincidentally, I'm working on a matrix that compares these products and their features/performance.
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 06-30-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is the higher definition video; much better than recording a monitor with a camera, but still not the true resolution.
    Be sure to expand the video for full screen view to get the best clarity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    YouTube couldn't process the last file because it was too high in resolution. Here's another attempt at better clarity of the demo. This file had to be converted to MPG from AVI so you will notice some compression loss. Be sure that your YouTube settings are High Def (720) for best viewing quality.

I'm about a week behind in electrical wiring of the GTM, so I'm targeting next week for the in-car test/demo. I've had some 818 guys message me for testing,
    but still looking for GTM owners for beta testing.

Thanks!
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 07-09-2015 at 04:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Steve! This afternoon I was able to get some more testing in the GTM, and I'm happy to say things are ready to move forward.

I'll be starting a new thread with datasheets, specs, and promo later this week. I'm still looking for two beta testers who will receive the kit
    at a discounted price.

Thank you to everyone who helped out with the poll, and asked questions. Stay tuned for the new thread, and information.