Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Custom LCD Gauges - Who`s Interested?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like what I'm seeing so far, and the price is fair. I would sign up!

2 13.33%
  • I'm interested, but I'd like to know more about the product before committing.

9 60.00%
  • No thanks, too expensive and the analog gauges are just fine for me.

3 20.00%
  • I`ll keep the Subaru cluster, then have other gauges displayed on the console.

1 6.67%

Thread: Custom LCD Gauges - Who's Interested?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Custom LCD Gauges - Who's Interested?

Hello All,

My name is Tino, and I`ve just registered as a forum sponsor. Some of you may know me from the GTM forum, or perhaps we met at this year`s open house?

In any case I`m wondering if there`s any need, or interest for LCD gauges, or data logging and digital display in the 818?

There`s a great spot on the console for mounting a large monitor
    which can display primary and secondary engine, as well as environment information.

I`ve started a thread in the GTM section, so rather than cross-post it might be easier to view the details in this thread:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...o-s-Interested

I will keep the poll separate as to measure the interest between different kit platforms. So if you could be so kind,
    please select an option.

I`ll be updating this thread with some ideas for layout, and also
    making newer (more professional looking) videos to illustrate the features of this system.

Thanks for your time!
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here are some diagrams to help get a sense of the 818 needs. These are not to scale, and the display info is just for illustration. This is not the
    final look, or feel, it's just for discussion purposes.

If I can get some feedback, I'd appreciate it. You don't even need to be interested, just tell me your thoughts.

The proposed location for the LCD display is either the cluster area, the console area or both. Which would you prefer if you were to get a system?
    818_lcd.JPG

Do you prefer the digital "slide", or analog style gauges?
    818_lcd2.jpgfinal_basic.jpg

Are there any other sensors, or "gauges" that you would want/need? keep in mind the system is logging all of the
    display information, and certain parameters that are not displayed.
    GTMdata_example.jpg
    There is also a playback mode to review data from daily drives, or track testing.

Thank you for your time once again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your analog mock up looks nice, I'd be for that. Personally, I'd be using your solution to replace the WRX gauge cluster, so in the OEM location would be ideal.

Some data that would be useful to me that should be readable from ECU (you already seem to have them in your slide image) : water temp, boost pressure, battery voltage, intake temperature
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm updating the progress as time allows. This evening a template was made to get measurements for a temporary poly/Lexan faceplate.
    While the bugs get worked out, I'd like to try my hand at a carbon fibre piece, and possibly an aluminum trim as well.

I'd like to get two Beta testers within the next few weeks. Someone that is fairly good with connecting wires in their car, and can be
    reached by phone if needed to discuss possible snags. If you would like to become a Beta tester, send me a Private Message with your
    name, and email.

I'd like to have a video uploaded within the next few days to detail the features of the system. Enjoy the photos
    Attachment 42931Attachment 42932Attachment 42933

P.S. The GTM photo in this image will be replaced when the Beta kits ship.
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 06-21-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just skimmed through the GTM thread and this thread. I noticed you're running an arduino coupled with processing. I've played with arduino quite a bit myself (led tach, GPS track/location/alarm, etc. )

currently i'm working with a friend on his Maxton Rollerskate (google it, you'll like what you find). i believe we could put your system in the Rollerskate without much issue, and I'd be willing to help with debugging/cross platform integration.

message me or email me, I'd love to chat with you about the setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I checked out the Maxton - cool car! I'm sure I've seen it before, just didn't know the name.

Here are a couple of progress photos of the latest trim piece. It just needs touch-up along the edges, but otherwise fits the dash pod perfectly.
    I'll need some measurements of the 818 console, and gauge cluster to make one specifically for your platform.

There is a 1/4" gasket material between the screen and trim plate. My next step is to find suitable hardware to mount the tablet, and that should
    be great for testing.

I'm working on the demo video this weekend, and will upload everything as soon as possible. The video will show all features, and functions of
    the system.
    lcd_TRIM.jpglcd_gasket.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As promised, I have a demo video to share with everyone. I’m a little disappointed about the clarity due to my camera being out of focus for the entire presentation. My voice is also a bit low overall, however you can still hear everything. I’d like to redo this video using video capture software so that you can see everything in high
    definition. In any case, this version should answer most of the questions for those who were wondering about features, and functions.

I am including the screen shots since the video is blurry, and if anyone would like the executable file, I will email the information so you can play it on your home computer to get a sense of the details and resolution.
    Attachment 43115Attachment 43116
    The total viewing dimensions are 9 inch width x 5 inche height (8 7/8 x 4 15/16”)
    Gauge diameters are 3 7/8 inches
    Attachment 43118

Installation will be quite simple. If you can plug in a USB cable, and connect wires to some screw terminals, it will be a snap. As mentioned, I'm working on
    a manual, and video of the connections. All wires will be labelled, and colour coded when possible.

I forgot to mention in the video that the data logging feature will track KMs/Miles driven each day, and the amount of fuel used (based on the sender voltage, and
    data figures you enter from MPG testing of your personal car).
    Attachment 43117

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Got a question, thought I read somewhere in this thread that the gauges was powered by arduino. Would it be possible to connect another screen to it which is placed in the middle and ran as a infotainment system with gps and audio. Or would it be better to only run this as a gauge in front of the steeringwheel and use for example an tablet in the center console and run gps and such on that.

Really like the idea of a fully digital gauge. How many frames per second would it be, guess the more the smoother it will move.

Hope my bad English isn't to bad. Was a couple of years since i was hanging around this forum or it may have been another forum for factory five people

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashTec View Post
    Would it be possible to connect another screen to it which is placed in the middle and ran as a infotainment system with gps and audio.

Or would it be better to only run this as a gauge in front of the steeringwheel and use for example an tablet in the center console and run gps and such on that.
    Yes, it's totally possible and I've already started writing code for the remote screen. The second screen can be used for a number of things including secure engine
    start, music player, data display, etc.

control_screen2.pngcontrol_screen3.png

How many frames per second would it be, guess the more the smoother it will move.
    It's set for 24 fps, but can be run at 60 fps. The faster it runs, the more processing speed is required. I find that
    24 fps is more than enough to be clear, and crisp.

Thanks for your questions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukn4trbl View Post
    Yes, it's totally possible and I've already started writing code for the remote screen. The second screen can be used for a number of things including secure engine
    start, music player, data display, etc.

control_screen2.pngcontrol_screen3.png

It's set for 24 fps, but can be run at 60 fps. The faster it runs, the more processing speed is required. I find that
    24 fps is more than enough to be clear, and crisp.

Thanks for your questions!
    Really hope you find a way to put some navigation in there otherwise an android tablet may still seem as a better choice for the infotainment screen as it would for an example be possible to run google maps. Sorry not my intentions to down your product, just trying to find the best solutions for future build :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashTec View Post
    Really hope you find a way to put some navigation in there otherwise an android tablet may still seem as a better choice for the infotainment screen as it would for an example be possible to run google maps. Sorry not my intentions to down your product, just trying to find the best solutions for future build :-)
    Well, it's not that easy. I've already tried an Andriod platform, and there are many limitations with that operating system. The GUI that I've created is not really meant
    for integrating a Navigation program, and for what it's worth there are many apps that can be downloaded (including Google Maps) that would do the job. There is really
    no market (in my case) to program a NAV system.

There is however a super-easy method to use a NAV app by creating a short-cut on the desktop, or I could add a button on the GUI to be displayed. The only setback to
    that, is you will have to either setup a data plan for use with the tablet, or tether to your smart phone.

Out of interest, the GPS receiver that will be integrated with the LCD gauges will be used for performance calculations, or tracking information. The data that can be
    extracted includes (but not limited to): Lat, Lon, Elevation, Heading, and "Ground Speed" to name a few.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is the higher definition video; much better than recording a monitor with a camera, but still not the true resolution.
    Be sure to expand the video for full screen view to get the best clarity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    YouTube couldn't process the last file because it was too high in resolution. Here's another attempt at better clarity of the demo. This file had to be converted to MPG from AVI so you will notice some compression loss. Be sure that your YouTube settings are High Def (720) for best viewing quality.

I'm about a week behind in electrical wiring of the GTM, so I'm targeting next week for the in-car test/demo. I've had some 818 guys message me for testing,
    but still looking for GTM owners for beta testing.

Thanks!
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 07-09-2015 at 04:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll be starting a new thread with datasheets, specs, and promo later this week. I'll be contacting those who contacted me for beta testing soon.

Thank you to everyone who helped out with the poll, and asked questions. Stay tuned for the new thread, and information.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was planning to run a stock guage cluster on my 818 and it is all working right now but this sounds very interesting, I am in Strathroy Ontario and have a running 818. Myself a digital replacement in the stock cluster location would be my favorite.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be starting a new thread with datasheets, specs, and promo later this week. I'll be contacting those who contacted me for beta testing soon.

Thank you to everyone who helped out with the poll, and asked questions. Stay tuned for the new thread, and information.

The final article will be stunning and think its a great idea. keep up the work!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone do custom guage faces for the Subaru cluster like they do for Miata's?
    http://revlimiter.net/store/gauges-na.php

I'd just prefer an old school look like this

2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's nice to receive such a great response from the 818 crew!

If you're not sick of the LCD testing videos yet, then have a look at this one.
    The tach is now matching engine RPM properly. I've also taken a screen shot
    of the HP Tuners log vs. what my program is capturing.

The slight difference is that my software is averaging 10 samples, then displaying
    the tach value which makes the needle bounce less, whereas HP Tuners is
    recording from the OBDII port.
    Attachment 43804
    It's nice to be able to see the data side by side, and have a bench mark to
    calibrate against. Since the processor only accepts 5 volts input, there is
    some voltage reduction and math involved, but it's dead-nuts on the money.

This feature will make a great addition to the kit for troubleshooting, and
    race track data analysis (note: the logging is an included function).

Post Thanks / Like
    It's nice to receive such a great response from the 818 crew!

If you're not sick of the LCD testing videos yet, then have a look at this one.
    The tach is now matching engine RPM properly. I've also taken a screen shot
    of the HP Tuners log vs. what my program is capturing.

The slight difference is that my software is averaging 10 samples, then displaying
    the tach value which makes the needle bounce less, whereas HP Tuners is
    recording from the OBDII port.
    Attachment 43804
    It's nice to be able to see the data side by side, and have a bench mark to
    calibrate against. Since the processor only accepts 5 volts input, there is
    some voltage reduction and math involved, but it's dead-nuts on the money.

This feature will make a great addition to the kit for troubleshooting, and
    race track data analysis (note: the logging is an included function).

awesome!

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good day all, thanks for dropping in to read the latest updates.

We're moving in the right direction with an aluminum enclosure and harness, as opposed to 3D printed
    housings. There is no difference in performance from the previous version, simply a hardware change.

albox1.pngalbox2.png

A more standardized kit will be launched with a dedicated skin to help expedite the build process. The skin
    will offer variations for manufacturer logos and vehicle images.

Two versions will be available for those needing additional information.
    6 to 8 Gauges: Tach, Speedometer, Voltmeter, Fuel Level, Temperature, Pressure, Pressure/Fluid Temp, Boost
    LCDi_newTach.pngnewTach_turnSigs.jpgNewLCDiPRO.png

Custom skins will still be offered for projects needing more OEM replicated clusters.
    They can be found on the website at this link:

https://lcddash.com/product/graphic-skins/

I'll be hiring a tech to help assemble the systems are more orders are coming in. If you're in the Whitby, Ontario
    area and have a background in Electronics feel free to reach out!

Here's the latest promo video to leave you with!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone. Thanks to those that reached out, and let me make their vehicle
    extra cool!

One more promo vid for the end of the year, and maybe a promise to finally work on my GTM in 2022?! :/

Enjoy the weekend,
    Tino

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    New Graphics & new hardware. CAN bus, OBD2, ECU hard-wired, or Carbureted engines - no problem.

100RSeries_small.png200Series_promo.pngnewALBox.png

GTMpromo.pngchironTease.png

Some video links as well:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CbkvcZy..._web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CbqdVlo..._web_copy_link