Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best Father's Day gift ever! 20th Anniversary MK4

Post Thanks / Like

Best Father's Day gift ever! 20th Anniversary MK4

Hello everyone,

I have been looking at different options for a 'fun' car for a few years now. I looked at 60's Corvettes, new Corvettes, M3's, old Pickups and several other random possibilities, but in the end I really wanted 3 things. 1. I wanted a Project that I could sink my teeth into, 2. I wanted something basically NEW and 3. I wanted a convertible. The Cobra Kit Car seems to fit that perfectly, and it's a sweeeet ride, so over the past few months I have been looking at the different options on the market and working on my wife along the way. I know it will cost a lot of our money and my time so it has been a pretty hard sell.

I had planned on doing a bunch of research on exactly what I wanted and then present the case to her in a few months. That all went out the window when I guess I caught her at a weak moment and mentioned 'what a great opportunity' it was to get one of the 20 Special Edition MK4's. She said 'OK' and I fell over (but I had it ordered online before I hit the ground). She loves the car too and just asked for a passenger side roll bar.

Now I'm working with the Technical Support guy to finalize my order (with so many questions) and I guess he is limited to one email a day and a 21 word response... I translate that to him being a very busy boy and I figure it's best to introduce myself here and ask my many questions.

I'm leaning toward the 427w Small Block with the TKO600 tranny. (I think that means I need the 31 Spline 8.375" Driveshaft??)

I'm 6'4" 210lbs so I ordered the 'Big and Tall' Leather Seats. (not sure if I need to make any other key decisions at the time of the order to help with my fit in the car)

I'll be reading other posts in the coming weeks to answer my many questions about the build and then posting new questions as I have them, but today I just wanted to say 'Hi' and ask for any pointers at the time of the Order to make sure I don't make a rookie mistake before the Stewart truck even shows up.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Parker TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Richard. It sounds like you have a good idea on what you want. Have you been on the ffcarsdotcom site. It gets a lot more visits and alot of folks from this site. You're ahead of me. I haven't ordered yet.
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I registered over there too. Thanks for the advice - I'll need all of the sources of wisdom that I can get!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! You must have been a good daddy! My wife gave me the OK last month, I ordered mine (not a 20th aniv edition)back on May 19th, it's due to arrive here in Irving around the 2nd week of July. Maybe we can help each other out when needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in - I added you as a contact so I can find you later.
    Thanks for reaching out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the 20th Anniversary MK 4 decision. It's a beautiful car with a lot of new goodies. I think it's begging for a Coyote engine. Maybe you'll reconsider!

Anyway you go will be OK and you will enjoy the fun of building your own car. These forums are packed with lots of information and experienced builders so most any question or problem can be answered. Start a build thread and we will enjoy the ride with you.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I seriously considered the Coyote engine but from what I read it really cuts into the legroom and for a tall guy that's a real problem. Is that fact or fiction? How much legroom do you lose?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and congratulations! I too ordered one of the 20th anniversary editions. This will be my third build, so I don't have quite so many questions. Well not yet anyway. But I'm still on the bubble about an engine. My brain says go Coyote. My heart says go old school. We'll see which one wins out! I'll be at the London show this weekend looking at Coyote installations to see if that's what I want to do. I'm leaning that way pretty strongly.

To your question, I'm pretty average size, but also concerned about lost space in the footbox with the Coyote. This isn't a new subject. The basic changes were done when Factory Five made provisions for mod motors some years ago. As I understand, for the driver, the LH side is unchanged, as well as the length. The main difference is the side by the gas pedal is an inch or so narrower. But I also understand, if you're willing to be creative, there are ways to recover some/all of this lost space. I'm trying to learn more about that right now. Also as I understand, there is no difference on the passenger side.

For the record, your idea for a 351 based 427 is also very tight on the drivers side footbox. Based on what I've seen, it fits without interference, but the plugs and header bolts on the driver's side are very tight. There are mods -- not unlike the mod motor mods from what I've seen -- to improve that.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-24-2015 at 09:24 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Richard,

Looks like several builds getting started in the Dallas area. I'm located just outside Austin. I'm picking mine up at the factory in 30 days. We should all stay in touch on our builds.

Bob