Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FYI cheap wheel/tire combo

Post Thanks / Like

FYI cheap wheel/tire combo

For some strange reason, I am trying to keep build costs down. Not sure why, just seems like the thing to do. Anyway, Discount tire direct has a pre-4th sale going on. Buy 4 wheels and get a $100 rebate/visa gift card. Oh, and free shipping.

The only wheels I found that match front and rear sizes are Drag wheels, DR-31, and DR-38. I bought DR-38 17x8 front +47, and 17x9 rear +38. They were out of stock on +35 fronts in dark grey (DR-38), so I have to add spacers. They do have the DR-31 in 18x9.

Back to price, I got my set of 4 delivered for $460 after rebate. I could have saved another $60 by opening a credit acct. Maybe I should have. dunno.

For tires, Tirerack has Sumitomo HTR ZII in 215/40/17 and 255/40/17 at $370/set delivered.

According to the dealer, DR-38 weigh in at:

17x8 - 18 lbs
    17x9 - 21.5 lbs

Not the lightest. I will weigh them when they arrive. That may be shipping weight.

Just thought I'd share
    818S - #200

"To finish first, you must first finish"
    "If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley
    "Never run out of real estate, ideas and traction at the same time."

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers for the share.

Can anyone confirm that these rims are equal to the task of being on a car like the 818? Because this is a great price
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI DR-38 are the exact setup I am running with no problems so far. 17x9 +38 with a 10mm spacer in back with 255/40 tires. 17x8 +35 in front with 215/40 tires and no spacer. I love them and they are cheap. Ordered from discount tire with falken azenis 615k and they grip incredibly. The price was around 1100 for wheels and tires mounted balanced heat cycled and shipped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Were the 10mm spacers required in the rear? Are you running a stock trailing arm or aftermarket?
    818S - #200

"To finish first, you must first finish"
    "If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley
    "Never run out of real estate, ideas and traction at the same time."

Post Thanks / Like
    Stock trailing arm. I needed 5mm for what I considered adequate clearance with the suspension aligned and 10mm to get it flush with the body. No rubbing on the body but I do hit the inner fenders with body roll sometimes. I think I need stiffer springs in back.