BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ford EcoBoost 2.3L 4 Cylinder

Post Thanks / Like

Ford EcoBoost 2.3L 4 Cylinder

Has anyone considered the Ford 2.3L EcoBoost 4 cylinder that is now available in the 2015 Mustang?

With 310HP / 320 lbft of torque, its as powerful as a stock cast iron Ford 302 push rod motor or Ford 4.6L modular motor.

The 2.3L EcoBoost propels a hefty 2015 Mustang down the 1/4 mile in the 13s. With a tune, it will do it in the 12s. See this -> Livernois Motorsports video

With just the Livernois Motorsports ECM tuner (no other modifications), they add another 100HP and 109 ftlbs! Those performance numbers are roughly in line with a stock Ford 5.0 coyote.

Swapping to the Ford 2.3L EcoBoost would take quite a bit of weight off the front. That would reduce total vehicle weight closer to the 1 ton mark, improve front/rear weight distribution, and reduce the need for power steering.

Heck, the '33 might even become a canyon carver!
    Last edited by Rumbles; 06-30-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a 33 at SEMA with the 6 cylinder eco-boost in it.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    There was a 33 at SEMA with the 6 cylinder eco-boost in it.
    Doug
    http://www.factoryfive.com/whats-new...-ecoboost-six/

It's a 3.5 Liter. I haven't seen any Hotrods with a 4 in it yet. I think it's worth a call to the tech team at FFR to see what they would recommend as a way forward if the 4 is what you want. I know there was a fairly large amount of R&D between FFR and Ford to come up with the harness, etc. for the 3.5 six...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2015 ecoboost mustang, I love the power it puts out. If feels like it has more torque (technicaly 5 less) than my 2010 mustang gt did. So it can replace the power of a v8. The noise however is very quiet and doesn't have that v8 sound. More like a tuner car. Something i hope to get with my 33 build. Something i miss lol. I'd be interested to find out what techs have to say. What's the cost for the ecoboost.
    My build site : www.ScootinThunder33.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it'd be fun and different, but cost is going to probably be the same if not more. That won't be a cheap engine, unless you pull it out of a wreck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did some checking and:
    - I could not find an aftermarket supplier for the 2.3 ecoboost electrical harness
    - If you look at the 2015 Mustang curb weight specs. the 2.3 ecoboost model weighs about the same as the naturally aspirated V6. That really surprises me. However, the 2.3 ecoboost is about 200lbs lighter than the 5.0 V8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will FFR make provision for using the Ford 2.3L EcoBoost in the Mk IV Roadster?

With judicious selection of components and tuning, one could have a more manageable car than the V8’s with little, if any concession to real world performance. At under 2000# and 300 to 350 reliable and trouble free horsepower with 10 speed paddle shift transmission, this ain’t a AC Bristol revival daydream.

Using the increasingly abundant and more current components Ford offers and has already sold across so many of its model lines for the last several years to make a better mousetrap than the Shelby replica would seem a no-brainer for a smart outfit like FFR.

Make sense to you? It does to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a huge fan of small 4 cylinder engines light weight sport cars. If I was not in Cobras, I would be driving my Miata all of the time. With that said, if I were build another Cobra, I would still go with a V8. First the sound is just amazing. The other thing is the cost. Every time I run the numbers, the cost is about the same if not the V8 is cheaper. We know with the 818, that FFR can put EcoBoost in cars. I just do not see the demand for this option in the 818 or any other FFR car. I could see someone doing an EcoBoost in a hot rod. That would make for a fun car that gets better gas millage. The main issue with this is that these cars are just not driven enough to make gas millage pay off. I would rather put in an electric motor.