Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Air Intake Suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Air Intake Suggestions

I just realized that the stock air box is as big as the engine.

With that in mind, any suggestions? The AEM one looks like it has the right curve. I'm sure there are others.
    818S - #200

"To finish first, you must first finish"
    "If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley
    "Never run out of real estate, ideas and traction at the same time."

Post Thanks / Like
    One option is totally custom, order the tubing and cut to fit, then tig weld together and mount
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most all aftermarket intakes have two pieces: One that attaches to the turbo, comes forward, then bends 90 degrees once it clears the intake manifold (Turbo Inlet Hose). The second piece goes from that over to fender well where the air cleaner is (usually called a Cold Air Intake). You won't be able to use the second part really. I would suggest getting a good turbo inlet hose, then buying some 3" tubing and 3" silicone elbows plus a 3" inlet cone air filter. That way you can put the filter wherever you want it. Doesn't require welding or fabrication beyond cutting the aluminum pipes which is very easy. I use a chop saw for that (any finishing blade for wood works great on aluminum).

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the stock air box with the bottom cut out.
    airbox.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The Cobb short ram intake is a quick and easy instsll. But I wish I'd done what Bob did.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're running the MAF sensor (i.e. not speed density), make sure you don't put any bends in the intake piping right before the MAF. This will make the air flow hitting the MAF non laminar and totally screw up the reading, which will cause the car to idle very rich. It's best to have a relatively long section of straight piping, or just put the air filter right before the MAF sensor.
    Last edited by STiPWRD; 07-01-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a thread that SixStar did I hope it helps.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...s-what-doesn-t