Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New to the group! Torn between a few cars... I think I have the right one in mind...

Post Thanks / Like

New to the group! Torn between a few cars... I think I have the right one in mind...

Howdy everyone, I'm starting the process to do more in depth homework on building an FFR vehicle.

Sad to say, but I'm torn between the Type 65 and the 33 Hot Rod.

I'm leaning towards the Type 65 due to the larger engine compartment space compared to the much narrower nose of the 33. I also like the hardtop feature of it, but the windows scare me a bit.

The 33 is a great platform and I love the suspension set up, however limited engine compartment space and the open wheel option would be different.

I know I can get the fenders etc. for it, but I'm not really into that style or look for myself. No pun intended, but I do love the look.

The GTM is also nice, but I'm not too sure if I want to budget for that kind of a build for the basic set up.

I'd want to build the car and feel comfortable driving it out of town.

I have my heart set on a Coyote with a Ford Racing SC, 2015 Mustang GT IRS, Infinity box, and a Tremec 5 or 6 speed depending on what would be good for an all around car. I don't really autocross, but do the occasional drag race at the track. Mostly a canyon carver here in South Texas.

Right now I have a pretty mild Subaru STI Sedan. Its not the most practical car, nor is it fuel efficient, but it's dependable, fast, handles, and is safe.

Now is time for my toy car build that will also be used to display my work that I do as a small business.

Any input, advice, recommendations etc. are welcome. I take all advise openly and constructively.

PS, I'll gladly consider being a vendor on here for Automotive Films, HID/LED custom lighting upgrades and conversions, Graphics, Wraps, etc. I'm here to help!

Thank you in advance!

Respectfully,

Dave

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally have built a 33, 2-818S's and a type 65. You can go over my build threads if you like. They all have their pluses and minuses. If you are over 6' you may want the 33. I am 6'3" and it is a bit of a difficulty to get in and out of the 65. Also it is much more cramped than the 33 IMO. I built a 33 with hardtop. P/W and P/S and it was a great car. I really wish I did not sell it. The 818 has terrific performance capabilities but is not very practical IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Tom on this one. I would go with the 33. Not sure why you think the engine compartment is narrow. The Coyote fits. Also with the 33 you get the option of a hard top or convertible whenever you want. That said, I miss my Daytona every day.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    All of your choices will make a great build. Like Mike, I do not know why you think the 33 has limited engine space. Look through some of the build threads and see all of the engines used so far.
    Doug

PS: Welcome to the forum.
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum.

It all comes down to what you like... I built 2 coupes and my 6'3" 230lb frame fits in just fine even with a helmet strapped on.... you gotta go in right foot and head first and kinda fall into the seat... once your in, its very comfortable. we left the windows out and don't foresee ever installing them.

Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the input and suggestions. I'm 6 ft with a shorter upper torso. Maybe I didn't elaborate myself well on the engine bay correctly. I mean it is a little tighter than the Type 65. I noticed on some of the forums where some guys are having AC line clearance issues and of course the Coyote being the modular engine it is takes up a little more space than a traditional SBF.

I want to say there is an owner of a '33 that lives close by, perhaps Boerne TX. I saw one over in that area a while back, but at the time I wasn't sure if it was an FFR. Maybe I could connect with them and take a look at the car and see the physical aspects of it vs pictures.

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question that may fit with this thread. I know the 65 can go as fast as an engine can make it go. But the '33 … At what speed does it start to get airborne?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhantom View Post
    I have a question that may fit with this thread. I know the 65 can go as fast as an engine can make it go. But the '33 … At what speed does it start to get airborne?

Tom
    I had my 33 to 120mph and was very stable. JMO

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, wallace, that is very good to know. I had thought the 33 would be difficult to control at 100+ mph. It seems to be the most flexible of FFR's offerings. Personally I'd like to see an 'unchopped' version -- one with an extra 4" headroom, I kind of like the stubby look of the unmodified original.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhantom View Post
    Thanks, wallace, that is very good to know. I had thought the 33 would be difficult to control at 100+ mph. It seems to be the most flexible of FFR's offerings. Personally I'd like to see an 'unchopped' version -- one with an extra 4" headroom, I kind of like the stubby look of the unmodified original.

Tom
    I am 6'3" tall with a long torso. I had 5" of headroom sitting in my 33 with the stock roadster seats. It looks chopped but because it is channeled the headroom is amazing IMO. I had a 6'8" gut sit in my 33 and he had headroom. Legroom is not as generous but OK IMO. The big and tall seat option is worth it for larger guys and gals. I wish it was available when I built mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I am 6'3" tall with a long torso. I had 5" of headroom sitting in my 33 with the stock roadster seats. It looks chopped but because it is channeled the headroom is amazing IMO. I had a 6'8" gut sit in my 33 and he had headroom. Legroom is not as generous but OK IMO. The big and tall seat option is worth it for larger guys and gals. I wish it was available when I built mine.
    Big and tall? Wow this would be an option to look at. I'll take a look at the seat on the website and compare.

Thanks for passing along the info wallace18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I personally have built a 33, 2-818S's and a type 65. You can go over my build threads if you like. They all have their pluses and minuses. If you are over 6' you may want the 33. I am 6'3" and it is a bit of a difficulty to get in and out of the 65. Also it is much more cramped than the 33 IMO. I built a 33 with hardtop. P/W and P/S and it was a great car. I really wish I did not sell it. The 818 has terrific performance capabilities but is not very practical IMO.
    Agreed. Miss my 33. The 818 was a sports car without the nostaliga. The 65 is cramped and is fun to drive but rumor is they are going to work on the body a bit and get it closer to the original but not sure how long that will take. I fear that it might make the current 65's less valuable. The 33 has so many options and handles great. Very versatile. Don't sweat the windows.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it was a blue and silver Type 65, that was my car. I live in Spring Branch.1-DSC02025.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you could drop by, Dave. Now you know you can squeeze into a coupe with clearance for a helmet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I own a GTM and a 818. I rented the Roadster a few years back and drove a buddy's 65 last year. I currently have a friends 33 for the week. Here is my take....

GTM, tight fit, least practical, twitchy at limit, very attention getting (most of all the Factory Five offerings) basically sex on wheels (of the best kind).

818, quick, new sheet design, easier to live with daily then the GTM yet still exotic, corners like on rails, very different power delivery then the others. Younger age dynamics is most interested to this car.

Roadster, easy to drive fast, light and nibble well sorted feeling, most public Recognized/Accepted Factory Five, I felt almost immediately confident to drive at "arrest me" speeds.

65, OMG sexy, fast but hot and loud (loudest of all of them) the hatch is great for storage, did I say loud?

33, very easy to drive, can I say (practical)? I was told the build was easy, was not my cup of tea until I drove it, now I want one. Very OEM feel. This is the cruiser of the pack (that can out corner a Vette)

They are all so different, I really can't pick one over the other. I really love the GTM for the over the top supercar look but I can not say it is the best of the pack, if I wanted a go fast "original design" the 818 is hard to beat for the price of admission. The Roadster and 65 Coupe are as American as apple pie and the 33 a car that can do many things right while still being raw, noisy, absurd and just plain perfect....like all of them
    Last edited by Kalstar; 07-03-2015 at 11:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    ehansen007, thank you for your input. I take all of it seriously and open minded.

Kalstar, you put a lot of your experience in to words in a very vivid way. Thank you for sharing this with me. I'm glad the GTM is least practical since it would kill me with budgeting!!!! I'm sure it's a great car and I would love to own and build one, but I feel it wouldn't be ideal as a first build.

The 818 would be cool, but I currently have a Subaru STI sedan and have my boxer, but I'm sure it would still run circles around my car.

The 33, I think would be my second build when that time comes. I still love it, but don't think I'm close to my ZZ Top days yet!

As for the Type 65........ Well Austexican (John) can explain my reaction to it. I really was at a lost for words when I was there with him admiring his 65.

I had the pleasure and opportunity to be able to experience the seating, visibility, exiting, even with a helmet.

I can honestly say I found my car. Granted, we went over some of the major concerns when it comes to this model.

John, I can not thank you enough for the opportunity to experience what I did today. I appreciate your hospitality and straight forwardness with this car.

Thanks again buddy and thank you everyone, who has given me some great advice and things to look forward to.

Now it's time to put things in motion!

Oh by the way I'll be in Philadelphia for my sister in laws graduation party. That weekend I'll be the Road Angels Car Show in Doylestown PA and will also visit the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum. You already know what I'm going to look at.

Respectfully,

Dave