Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: fresh air to foot wells

Post Thanks / Like

fresh air to foot wells

Nothing came up using advanced search, so here's my question!

I'm pretty sure I have seen some builders run fresh air ducts from the front of the car to the foot wells. Has anyone done this? Where is best place to vent in the foot well? Did you use butterfly valves and push/pull cable to give option to close off? Any pics?

Thank you!
    Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Footwell-Vents

Suggest to always use Google search instead of the search function embedded in the website. Generally get much better results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Bill I will next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, there's lots more information found over at ffcars.com due to it having been around a while - great archives. If you check in their modifications for originality, you'll find more details on my vents, which are pictured in the above link. I have funnel-type ducts with screens on the oval openings next to the radiator opening and then it is ducted to the footwells. The driver's duct is on the front of the footbox to the far outer edge and the passenger one is on top of that footbox. I use the vintage style butterfly valves with pull knobs on the outer curve of the dash (just watch out for the door so the knobs can open all the way).

Some people add blowers to their vents, but unless you are sitting in traffic quite a bit, they are not necessary. I find that even at lower speeds, these flow quite a bit of outside air.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't want to source your own parts Cobra Earl has complete kits for both foot wells that works well. I use the fans intermittently. Usually when I first get in to kill the heat soak & as mentioned above in slow or stopped traffic.

http://www.cobraearl.com/products

Since I don't use an oil cooler I also used one of his kits to make a CAI for the car fed from the oil cooler intake..
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys. I like the idea of the complete kit. I am waiting for Earl to reply! I tried searching out parts to make up my own system and I can't get it as low as Earls.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the idea! Yes, now I'm thinking about it. Dang I need to start printing money again to afford this money pit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put fresh air ducts in my coupe. The system is simple. 2 boat bulkhead blower fans attached to the front cross beam and high temp air duct hose running back to both foot boxes. I used gates commonly used in hvac or vacume applications to attach the air ducts to the foot box. They have a manually operated gate that locks open or closed. The only time it would be closed would be a really cold day. Let me know if you want more info or pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Added some pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure to get the upgrade hose from Earl. I am surprised he even sells the regular stuff.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks CJ.

Craig, the complete kit Earl sells says it has the semi rigid hose I think. Is that the good stuff?

Post Thanks / Like
    I made these similar to the originals...image.jpgr
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by christenfreedman; 07-03-2015 at 02:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    ********** offers another option

Fresh Air Vent

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Cobra Earls kit. Wouldn't be without it in the summertime.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made my own with a couple of bilge blowers, some RV sewer pipe (new from Walmart, not used from my RV), 3" PVC pipe from Home Depot and 3" blast gates from Amazon. Total cost about $60..

Good Luck
    Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    this from his website:
    "The kit will be shipped with 3" accordion style hose as standard. If you perfer the hard side style hose please make a note on your order and add $5.00 to the order. The accordion style hose is a little more period correct, maybe a little easier to work with and weighs a little less. The hard side hose may move a little more air but the connections are a little harder to deal with and the hose is fairly stiff."
    I got mine a few years ago so I suspect the good stuff is the 'hard style hose'. The problem I had w/ the regular is that if you try to anchor it w/ a wire tie, you come back later and see that the wiretie has collapsed the hose to 3/4 to 2/3 original diameter. I tried to wire tie mine to the 3/4x3/4 that is just under the hood opening. So the wire tie is holding it's weight. didn't work too well so I ordered other hose.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.