BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: brake pedal adjustment

Post Thanks / Like

brake pedal adjustment

In another thread I got some great help with my Whitby power brake kit, but I don't know how to adjust the pedal position. The kit comes with a new pedal to replace the Willwood one, and it fixes directly to the booster push rod. Am I stuck with a really high pedal position? The instructions say to screw the booster push rod in as far as possible. Both ends rotate but don't screw in. I don't know a lot about brakes so I may be missing something. Please help. Thanks, Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    The only pushrod that adjusts on the booster is the one that actuates the master cylinder. You hold the stem with vice grips and turn the rounded end in toward the booster. Sometimes you need to use a spacer or 2 between the booster and the master cylinder anyway to keep the plunger from preloading the master cylinder too much. If you bought a complete kit, you didn't get any of the steel spacers they send with the base kit. Maybe FFR will send you a couple, You can see the spacers in my setup in this picture. You could always make them from some 1/8" aluminum plate. I also recommend Mike Everson's spacer behind the booster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. I bet one of my spacers would do the trick. Did you mount the booster right to the firewall? It needs to be spaced away.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Start by getting the booster spaced forward of the front bulkhead, not only for brake pedal position but you'll need it for steering shaft clearance. Look closely at this shot below and you'll see that I use flanged bolts run all the way up the 4 studs on the booster (with the flange facing the bulkhead) to space it forward about 3/8". You could add an additional washer or 2 on each stud to take it forward a bit farther if necessary. I always use a piece of memory foam to seal the opening between booster and bulkhead.

Finally a look below the booster. To provide clearance the steering shaft bearing and retainer must be installed inside the footbox with the collar and setscrews pointing rearward.

Hope that helps!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car