FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cockpit aluminum help!

Post Thanks / Like

Cockpit aluminum help!

Hey guys, this is my first post here but I've been browsing this forum for about a year now. There is so much valuable information here! Some of the things you guys have done with these cars are just amazing! My name is Evan and I'm currently building a coupe in New Hampshire (bought last June so it should be the most recent chassis design) and I have a few questions about fitting some of the aluminum panels onto the car. I did some searching but I didn't really find anything that answered my question so here goes...

First question: How are the rear cockpit corner panels supposed to fit? I've seen pictures where people have them riveted to the body and then others where they riveted them to the frame. Now I'm wondering if the way I fit the aluminum and drilled it is right or if I've gotten ahead of myself. Here's a pic of how I fitted them:
    20150714_174136.jpg

My second question has to do with the outside footbox panels. On the driver's side, part of the panel covers some kind of mount. The passenger side leaves space for it though. I'm guessing I should probably trim this right?

Drivers side:
    20150714_173901.jpg
    Passenger side:
    20150714_174244.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The rear panels you mounted are fine the way they are. On the foot box panel, just drill a hole through the aluminum to match the hole on the bracket.
    Mike.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The first panel in the rear shown in your pic can be done either way. I started like you did but ended up putting on the panel after the body was painted and on the frame. I ended up carpeting most of my interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick replies guys! I'm gonna be putting in carpet as well, would it be easier with the carpet if that panel was riveted to the body or to the frame?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eDuane88 View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies guys! I'm gonna be putting in carpet as well, would it be easier with the carpet if that panel was riveted to the body or to the frame?
    IMO the body. That is what I did. Check out my build thread for my coupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    eDuanne88

Where in NH are you? I'm in Gorham, ME and Roy Hewson is in Tamworth, NH. I've got 8,300 miles on my coupe and I think Roy is up to 30,000 plus. We're always ready to travel. We used to go up to Oakland, ME to visit John Dol but he left for greener pastures in California.
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loeffler1 View Post
    ........greener pastures in California.
    not with this drought!!

In regards to the foot box panels. I tucket mine behind the body mount on the drivers side.
    On the passenger side I lifted the bottom up into the sides. It floates above the round bar.
    I mounted the rear panels before putting the body on. I've seen both but it seems easier to seal that way.

HTH

John
    Last edited by John Dol; 07-15-2015 at 07:36 PM.
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on what you guys have said, I think I'm just going to leave the rear panels mounted to the frame the way they are but I'm going to trim that driver's side panel so I can tuck it behind the mount.

Loeffler1 I live in Salem NH, right next to the MA border.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the footbox panel (driver's side)...think ahead about how you are going to drill a matching hole through the body for the mounting bolts. If the mount on the frame is sandwiched between the body and the aluminum, it will be difficult to drill correctly. I can't remember what I did exactly but as I recall I drilled a pilot hole trough the aluminum before the body was on as a guide to drilling through the body from the inside with a guide and then from the outside with a full size bit.
    It's just A Matter Of Time

Marc

FFR Coupe 434, 347ci, Power Brakes, SAI Mod, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Fluge, I wouldn't have thought of that. I ended up attaching it the way it was without trimming it and I just drilled the hole for the bracket rather than sandwich it between the mount and frame.