FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Warbirds & Daytona at Stinson Airport July 4th celebration

Post Thanks / Like

Warbirds & Daytona at Stinson Airport July 4th celebration

On July 4th of 2015, Stinson Airport in San Antonio celebrated its 100th year of continuous operations. The Commemorative Air Force brought some of their warbirds to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the conclusion of WWII. I was there with my Type 65 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Daytona coupe winning the Manufacturers' Championship with the victory of Bob Bondurant and Jo Schlesser at Rheims on July 4, 1965.

Pics are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124304...57653175549264

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful birds, and the planes aren't bad either! LOL
    Gotta love that B-17!

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    The CAF was originally named the Confederate Air Force, of course. They've been highly instrumental in acquiring and preserving WWII aircraft.

Political correctitude has nudged the change to "Commemorative Air Force," but here's the origin of the old name and of the group itself:

The origin of the Confederate Air Force dates back to 1951, with the purchase of a surplus Curtiss P-40 War hawk by Lloyd Nolen, a former WW II Army Air Corps Flight instructor. In 1957, Nolen and four friends purchased a P-51 Mustang, each sharing in the $2,500.00 cost of the aircraft. With the purchase of the Mustang, known as "Red Nose", the group now known as the "Confederate Air Force" was officially founded.

Legend has it that upon arriving at "Mercedes Airfield" deep in the heart of South Texas one Sunday morning in 1957, the group found that someone had painted a sign on the fuselage of the P-51 as a joke. the sign read "Confederate Air Force". All the Pilots seemed pleased with the new name, saluted each other and decided it should stay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, political correctness is the bane of this nation.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do believe I have a picture you need to see, but I can't post 'em just yet.
    When I get to chance to start my coupe I was planning on painting ( vinyl wrapping ...? ) it like an old fighter plane
    going to dub it the "P-51 Daytona"

Edit:
    Here is a link for my Forza Gallery
    http://forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery/METAL%20C6R
    Last edited by METAL C6R; 07-06-2015 at 07:42 PM. Reason: link to pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    thats pretty cool.
    I like version 22

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, something about the base paint that won't let me get rid of the circle on the door. It seriously inhibits anything you want to do with paint and a technical base coat other than what it is.

Definitely going with a mirror style finish just like the Vodafone V8 Supercar, or the... Vodafone McLaren Mercedes of F1.... or the actual plane lol
    I don't think I will go as detailed as fictitious rivets. I will more than likely get impatient and just go without 'em, but it is on, "The List"

Superannuated Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice pictures with the B-25. Always wanted to fly one, or at least in one. My dad built 'em, and when I see one I always have to duck inside the bomb bay doors and see if his signature is there. Actually found one, once.