FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Roadster Side Pipe Mounting Brackets

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster Side Pipe Mounting Brackets

I attempted to mount the brackets for the side pipes and found the passenger side pipe was too low but I do not have much clearence between the bracket and the frame/body. The engine is mounted at its highest point on the frame. I have the opposite problem on the drivers side in that the pipe is two high and cannot be mounted without touching the frame. The drivers side is also forward so that the bracket touches the cross member before installing the two bushings. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem as you. I just took a grinder to the bracket to make room so it won't hit the body.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Since you are having the opposite problem from side to side, I would try rotating the engine on it's mounts a very small amount to correct the spacing. I think just about everybody has experienced this problem unless you somehow perfectly set the engine the first time. The change in position of the engine will be very small but the effect will be dramatic at the side pipe position. It's a geometry thing (radius)!

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the responses. I looked at the engine mounts and find that the passenger side is as high as it can go. This will prevent me from lowering the drivers side. I think my plan will be to cut the exhaust mounting bracket, weld in a spacer and then powder cost both brackets to match the frame.
    Last edited by JIMOCO; 07-30-2015 at 03:39 PM.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also tried to move the engine but there was not enough room to get it where I needed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shim the engine mounts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMOCO View Post
    Thank you for the responses. I looked at the engine mounts and find that the passenger side is as high as it can go. This will prevent me from lowering the drivers side. I think my plan will be to cut the exhaust mounting bracket, weld in a spacer and then powder cost both brackets to match the frame.
    It's not unusual to have to lengthen the slots in the engine mounts to let the engine rotate a bit more for best header/pipe alignment. Interestingly, for both of my builds (Mk3 and Mk4) I had to raise the slot on the PS about 1/8 inch. That made enough different to raise the PS and lower the DS to get the headers and pipes to line up adequately. Also the Mk4 makes the side pipe mounting brackets a bit tighter because of the wraparound sill of the body. the Mk3's (and before) didn't have this extra 1/4 inch or so of thickness under the frame at that point. So they were less critical. Mine were very tight on my Mk4, but I was able to get them to work without making new brackets or modifying the supplied ones. It shouldn't be necessary to shim the engine mounts.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-30-2015 at 11:06 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not a big fan of shimming the engine mounts and I have considedred elongating the holes on the frame's engine mounting bracket. My question to edwardb is, with a tight clearance between the body and the side pipe mounts, do they then thump the underside of the body as the engine shakes and moves? If yes, is it noticeable?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not a big fan of shimming the engine mounts and I have considedred elongating the holes on the frame's engine mounting bracket. My question to edwardb is, with a tight clearance between the body and the side pipe mounts, do they then thump the underside of the body as the engine shakes and moves? If yes, is it noticeable?
    I just went out and roughly measured my side pipe mounts. The PS has about 1/2 inch clearance to the fiberglass body wraparound. The DS is closer at about 1/4 inch. 1200+ miles now and no evidence they've ever touched the fiberglass and certainly no sounds coming from there. I have the FF supplied Energy Suspension motor mounts, which are pretty stiff compared to stock mounts. I don't see the engine or pipes moving around much. If you have the same motor mounts (expect you do) then you can run them at least this tight without a problem in my experience.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I do have the same engine mounts. I have less than a half inch clearance on the PS and negative clearance on the DS. I also have the option to go bracket free which is what i am doing now. Don't know the long term effect of doing that will be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I do have the same engine mounts. I have less than a half inch clearance on the PS and negative clearance on the DS. I also have the option to go bracket free which is what i am doing now. Don't know the long term effect of doing that will be.
    JIMOCO I"m not that far from you. I live in Lebanon County and if you want to check my car out, you can. I live right off 422

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume your pipes are level, providing the most clearance possible. You do have the option to lengthen the slot in the engine mount on the PS and rotate the engine a bit, as discussed earlier. Or modify the brackets as you mentioned before. I assume you have the inner pivot point on the bracket, where it's attached to the 2 inch chassis tube, as low as possible to provide the most clearance. Another modification option I've seen described was adding a plate or bracket to the 2 inch chassis tube to lower the inner pivot point even further.

Leaving the brackets off is yet another option. Not my personal choice, but this is discussed occasionally on the other forum and some report leaving them off with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks edwardb for the suggestions. I will take a closer look and see if the suggestions might work.
    Rob - I would like to meet sometime. PenDOT notified that my application for title and tags is being processed and I should be legal in 5 to 10 business days. I will send you an email when I get my car on the road.