Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JD's 818C Build - Maple Valley, WA

Post Thanks / Like

JD's 818C Build - Maple Valley, WA

Figured I would get this post started now... Thanks to my dad Ralph Button, I caught the FFR bug along time ago. Although, I always thought I would build a Mk x Roadster, I fell in love the 818C the minute I saw it. So on to the build...

Thanks to Wayne at VCP, I should have Donor Parts and his shifter early next week. I want to thank in advance many of the local friends who have offered help and want to be a part of the project. Thanks to Dan for offering dock space while I finish up the garage in preparation. I think this is going to cost me a lot of beer... but will be well worth it!

Most importantly, thanks to my wife for letting me follow my dreams with a new born on the way in the next few weeks.

I will be posting plenty of photos...

What do people feel is the best solution for getting the frame on rollers to move around the garage with easy? I've been looking at a combination on moving dollys and jack stands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Ralph Button's son! I'm impressed that you have such a famous father and helper (?) for the 818C build. Regarding something to hold your frame, I built a wooden dolly that worked well because it held it high enough to work on and sturdy enough that I could climb all over it. After the engine was running, wiring done, and ready to go-kart, I added wheels and took the chassis dolly apart to use the parts elsewhere. Here's a thread about it:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ighlight=Dolly
    But, other guys have used Harbor Freight furniture dollys and jack stands. Whatever you do, make sure it's stable so you don't get squashed.
    I should say "Welcome to the Madness" but you already know that.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Pete... I am looking forward to the madness. I'm sure it wont compare to the new born. I'm sure that he will help with some wrench time when visiting their new grandchild. Thanks for the link to your build regarding your chassis dolly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see you started a thread. I still have to meet up with you this summer and show you my build. Looking forward to the photo overload

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SnyderJD View Post
    What do people feel is the best solution for getting the frame on rollers to move around the garage with easy? I've been looking at a combination on moving dollys and jack stands.
    Welcome!

If you have a tight space and need to move it around, several people ave posted plans for dollies that have worked for them, but I found that wasn't necessary.... I used Stewart Transportation's dolly to bring it in to the garage, put it right on 4 high jackstands where it stayed put until it was a roller.

Post Thanks / Like
    @ Kurk, Yes Im looking forward to meeting up and seeing your build for sure. Are you doing any autocross with yours?

@ wleehendrick, MY garage is supposed to be a two car garage by description, however, it's more of 1 1/2 car garage. and with workbenches, tool chests, a motorcycle and any given carpentry project my wife has me doing for the house, it can feel small. So far I am liking he dolly that AZPete has shown me.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    he's gone to the dark side ... I thought I trained him to consider Detroit muscle over the other stuff! But I suspect all those years in Maine where every one seem to have a Subie may have infected him!
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Button View Post
    he's gone to the dark side ... I thought I trained him to consider Detroit muscle over the other stuff! But I suspect all those years in Maine where every one seem to have a Subie may have infected him!
    Ha... there is will be a roadster in the stable some day... just later rather than sooner.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, no autocross in the near future. Too busy with work and life. Itd would be great to do a track day together sometime. It would be quite interesting i think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your dads a FFR legend .. Cant wait to see your build !!

Post Thanks / Like
    mxcobra, I can't wait either. It will be an exciting journey and big shoes to follow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the teaser only photo... Donor Parts, '03 WRX. I have not been able to get over to my buddies warehouse to open. It's like Christmas.

Thank you Wayne.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SnyderJD; 07-22-2015 at 01:03 PM. Reason: embedding photo

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Let the cleaning begin!!

My favorite part of donor prep (aside from cutting the shell of the car into 10 pieces with a recip-saw) was dissolving rust with electrolysis:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Elec...val-aka-Magic/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    When is the kit due for delivery? I'm interested in seeing pictures of a just delivered 818C.
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchStone View Post
    When is the kit due for delivery? I'm interested in seeing pictures of a just delivered 818C.
    Not sure yet... Still waiting for a go live production date.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the time is getting closer. As of this morning, I have a production date! I'm now working out the final details of the options I want to add through FFR. Certainly excited, this will be a big year... In my last year of my masters, new born baby, and soon to be new baby 818C showing up! I may be a bit of a zombie for the next year...

Good news is the custom aquarium stand I have been building is almost complete, meaning my garage will once again be clean and clear of the arrival of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Look forward to getting more regular updates from you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Last week was the final stretch... the garage and overhead storage were cleaned out.. more like a massive purge to make room for delivery day.

Wednesday will be inventory day as I am buried in classwork right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    JD,
    While looking up stuff for my 65 Coupe build, I just happened to notice your thread. So, thought I would let you know that I am also in Maple Valley. Even though we aren't building the same kit, still happy to compare notes.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry. That would be great.... Shoot me a pm and we can check out each other's projects in person. If you ever need a hand I'm available

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Glad you received it. Ill have to drive mine down and have a look at yours on a dry day.

Post Thanks / Like
    @Kurk... a dry day for sure... although I dont see one of those anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    question to all of you guys who have completed cars... what was the most efficient method for identifying parts that are custom to the 818? right now I flip back and forth through the manual to try to identify some of the parts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would be best to post pictures of parts that you can't identify and we can probably tell you right away. Plus, it might help others. I'm up for some "what's this?" contests!
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I am actually contemplating photo cataloging all of the parts to not only help me in the future if I have to replace something but to help others

Post Thanks / Like
    Its been a little while since I last posted. Needless to say this build wont be setting any speed records. Inventory is finished though. Compelted building a fram to reuse- my old Jeep hardtop hoist points. So now I have my hardtop swinging from the ceiling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seats? Has anyone used the OMP WRC seats in their 818? If so thoughts or feedback?

Post Thanks / Like
    So after sitting my garage for far too long... I have finished my masters and can spend more time working the car finally... spent most of the day with a buddy working on wiring yesterday. I want to give the diet ago before I throw the wrench in for a premade harness... waiting on rust bullet to show up today so I can paint bare metal and brake components to get them mounted up... all of the front suspension ahs been mocked up and fitted... feel good to move the needle forward after sitting in the garage for so long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Keep us updated!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish you luck on the wire diet if you do decided to get a premade one you wont be disappointed. I've been in your exact shoes with the little cesars and dr pepper too. But if you do decide to send in the harness to be remade for you. Please don't butcher it while trying to diet it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Milestone moment today...after a ton of troubleshooting, engine turned over and fired up... expected dies dies immediately... need to get all the vacuum lines, inrercooler etc installed to run right. But she fired up. No major leaks other than the oil line to the turbo is mangled and leaked so will need to replace that.... all in all was a good day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Congrats and the start up, now for the tedious stuff.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome moment. Still looking to come over on my 818 and check out your progress. Keep it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    And its alive.... still have some vacuum lines to sort out... no exhaust on yet... but it starts and runs

Post Thanks / Like
    congrats! You're making a lot of progress
    Factory Five 818c #456

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Finally the years of "training osmosis" has paid off! You have done well! That first start up is a huge milestone!
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Big day today... Was able to gokart the 818 today.... had a bit of a Toe-in issue that was pretty aggressive, but after an adjustment, the car seems to track pretty well. Need to try to make some adjustments to Waynes VCP Shifter, seems a little tough to find some gears still seem to have a small oil drip, i need to track down. Parking brake is the next big issue to tackle. Cant seem to get any tension on the e-brake. I think I need to move it about 3/4" forward
    Last edited by SnyderJD; 02-12-2018 at 12:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

West Coast to East Coast

3100 Miles, Snow and sleet in Montana, Biblical rain storms in North Dakota and more storms in upstate new York.... but 3.5 days later I made it from the Seattle area to southern New Hampshire.
    Tried to get this booked on an enclosed car carrier, but at the last minute, the route was never picked up and had to make last minute plans to tow open...

Post Thanks / Like
    Which part of NH? I lived in Nashua for 2 years. Did anything get ruined in the rain?

Post Thanks / Like
    Currently, until we find a house, Nashua... With that being said, we will most likely end up in Nashua, Merrimack, Hudson area. I grew up in region and went to college out here. AS far as damages... Body panels seem fine, glass is fine. no shortage of dirt and road grime to be cleaned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast