Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: '65 Coupes registered in 1999, how many are out there?

Post Thanks / Like

'65 Coupes registered in 1999, how many are out there?

Hey everyone,

I am finally in a position where I can purchase a '65 coupe and I have been wanting one for a very long time now. The issue is I live in Quebec and we have a 15 year rule to abide by to import this kind of vehicle. So basically, I need to find a Daytona Coupe that has been registered as of 1999 in order for it to be legal this year to import and drive. If the season ends here and I still haven't found one Ill consider 2000 registration dates of course. So here are my two questions:

What are the chances of me finding one registered in 99? Were there many produced and registered that year? (I thought they were first offered in 99?)

Where would be a good place/company to put in an inquiry with to find one and broker the sale for me? My search skills and not so great unfortunately.

I have had a company here in Montreal on the hunt since march and they have found nothing so I figured id turn to some forums for a push in the right direction. Thank you for any suggestions and info that you can give me, this forum has been fun to browse and Im happy to finally have a reason to sign up.

Dan

Superannuated Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    You will have a hard road trying to find a Type 65 constructed/registered in 1999. According to Factory Five's web site, "In 1997 we started to work in earnest on the car. The first prototype was completed in the spring of 2000 and production of chassis kits began shipping in September of the same year." You might be able to find one from 2000, but there will be very few of those. http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/type-65-coupe/design/

That being said, I think there are several kit car builders in Canada who can import and construct a new coupe for you. Ontario Kit Car Builders may still do this, for one. You can also keep an eye on the Cars for Sale section of this forum and the other large Factory Five forum (ffcars.com); once in a while a Canadian owned car will show up for sale.

All of this presumes you do not want to build your own, because a new Type 65 kit can be imported into Canada. There are a couple of places where you can get the details for importing. One is Ron Schofield, who can be found on this forum, another is Western Canada Cobras.

I hope some of this helps. Anyone else, feel free to add or correct any of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the helpful reply Colonist.

As you explained it seems like it is not possible to find one that can be legally registered here in the next 2 years. You are correct that building one personally is not on the menu for me as I don't have the space for such a project in the city.

So in this case I have contacted builder not far from me at all and he will be ordering the kit next week and I should have my legally registered coupe by spring time. Not being able to find one readily actually tuned out to be a blessing in disguise as I am really excited to watch this car get built from the ground up and make it my own in the details. Thank you for your helpful post, the info allowed me to make the decision to build with confidence.

Superannuated Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep us posted on the progress. It's always fun to watch a new one come together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you by a finished car in the US, take it apart (remove the engine, transmission, wheels) ship all the "parts" to Canada and reassemble and call it a "new kit"?
    Chris
    If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51103049@N00/collections/

FFR#0441CP Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Delivered 4/29/09

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbergquist View Post
    can you by a finished car in the us, take it apart (remove the engine, transmission, wheels) ship all the "parts" to canada and reassemble and call it a "new kit"?

no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA