Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 18x9.5?

Post Thanks / Like

18x9.5?

anyone running 18x9.5s on the rear, if so what offset and what issues you have? space to the control arm flushness to the fenders? I am looking to get a set for the rear but am just concerned with control arm clearance and body clearance/flushness.

Post Thanks / Like
    i am running them, however i have 265/35r18 tires. Offset is +42 with a 10mm spacer and when i got the car aligned, the lower trailing arm just cleared, even with aftermarket arms. im thinking to keep a wheel like this, offset has to be a +30 or below. ill see if i can find some pics for body reference, everything else was good except for it took a while messing with the "rear caster" so we could set toe without rubbing.

Post Thanks / Like
    perfect, that is the info and pics I need! the wheels I am now looking at are +40's and I have aftermarket lower arms and figured I needed spacers. pics would be nice with the fender clearence. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpyguy View Post
    perfect, that is the info and pics I need! the wheels I am now looking at are +40's and I have aftermarket lower arms and figured I needed spacers. pics would be nice with the fender clearence. thanks
    thats good, should be alright with a 10mm spacer then. im running the mach v 10mm hubcentric spacers all around.

Post Thanks / Like
    here's what i have for pics that i had saved, let me know if you need any more!

Post Thanks / Like
    here's a straight on look too

Post Thanks / Like
    other relevant information: alignment sits at -2.3 degrees of camber and 3/16 toe in. would probably have better clearance with less negative camber. We had to move spacers around, and change the rear caster like i said and just mess with it until we could get toe where we wanted it. The first time, we were hitting the trailing arms with the wheel fronts. Changing where the spacers for the trailing arm and the upper i guess trailing arm, as well as camber adjusting arm helped us to be able to clear everything. As it sits now there is no rubbing at all in the rear. Just drove it around for a while today.

Post Thanks / Like
    3/16 toe in on the rear? Why that much?

Besides, when a car accelerates and squashes the rear, are the wheels reducing toe in by the force applied or increasing? I can't recall...
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for my dyslexia, that's how much for out in front I have, I have somewhere between 1/8 and 1/16 toe in in the rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Besides, when a car accelerates and squashes the rear, are the wheels reducing toe in by the force applied or increasing? I can't recall...
    It depends on the geometry. If you adjust the long upper link for zero bump/roll steer (such that the two lower toe control links are parallel), there should be no toe change under compression. Early builders who missed this and just dialed in the typical rear parameters (camber, toe and thrust angle) got squirly handling.