Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GoPro users

Post Thanks / Like

GoPro users

Any body mount a Go Pro on your car and use an external Mic? Where do you place the mic to eliminate wind noise. I have tried so many spots but nothing good so far and maintain the sound of the pipes.

Mikiec

Post Thanks / Like
    I played around with a Go Pro for a couple seasons, usually with it on a roll bar mount. Video was very cool, but sound quality always left something to be desired. I then tried an external mic, and found the best quality was with the mic on a small stand I made sitting on the transmission tunnel. It stayed out of the wind so quality was decent. My only complaint was the overall sound level was very low compared to the internal mic. You could adjust it up during post edit, but still a little marginal IMO. I saw the same thing mentioned in a number of Go Pro forum posts. Maybe the newer versions are better? Here is a video I made with mine and the external mic. Turn up the sound on your computer and it sounds OK: https://youtu.be/-8TVofKstKs
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is good timing for me. I am looking at getting an "action camera" and was wondering where the best place was to mount the camera and what device did they find held/holds the best. I was at a autocross event last year and I saw two camera hit the dirt. If anyone has any thoughts about camera MFG's that would be great too. You can find a few cheap models on e-bay but most likely you get what you pay for. Thanks for any input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is with an Eye of Mine rollbar mount (very nice mount) and an Olympus ME-51S remote stereo mic. This is the First time I ever used it. The remote mic makes a huge difference.

Clipped to my passenger seat belt, so a little exposed. You can see it at the bottom right corner of the picture:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXVHMCkOy7M

Clipped to the battery cutoff key between the seats:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgagVU0sKXU

I have seen guys mount a mic on the back of their cars, on the bumper, etc. I also have a RAM suction cup mount, but haven't had the guts to use it yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also purchase little stick on wind socks for GoPro and other action cams. They help with the wind noise and you don't have to run an external mic.

HTH...
    Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a suction cup mount on the windshield. No problem with the wind.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes