Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is this the right hose for the filler neck?

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the right hose for the filler neck?

Manual shows a straight piece to be cut approx. 3.5" to use as a coupling with pipe clamps? ... This hose seems way too thin and bent for a reason, but I cant find another one?

0726151244.jpg

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe they changed it since my kit but that doesn't look at all like what I have. I have a straight piece of hose about a foot and a half long or so. It's black with red markings. I don't have a hose like the one you are holding in my kit. Could it be for the new coolant pipe setup?

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the quick response hindsight,

Seems wrong to me to cut a pre-bent tube. It was in the box with the fuel components (filler neck, cap, etc) though... I also don't seem to have any clamps either.

Anyone else have a clue?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the GTM and HotRod fuel filler hose. Maybe they are using it on the 818 now?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    That's the GTM and HotRod fuel filler hose. Maybe they are using it on the 818 now?
    Mike
    I sent the picture of that hose to Vinny at ffr and he confirmed it was correct
    But he gave no update on how to use it.
    I am looking for alternatives on my own, I am finding the manual to be rough guide of kit.
    I am still looking for routing of accelerator cable.
    I will try to update all

Post Thanks / Like
    I used that hose. I suppose I could change it if it's wrong. Good question...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I also questioned this hose. As best as I can figure, the hose material is thinner than the typical multi layer heavy duty fuel hose. The fuel tank filler pipe is SO CLOSE to the chassis frame that there isn't room for a full sized fuel hose. I cut off the short end (after the 90 degree bend) about 3-4 inches in length. Then I used this to couple the bent steel filler pipe to the tank. I haven't got there yet but I expect to use some of the remaining hose to couple the bent pipe to the fuel filler entry that is mounted into the fender.
    I have seen 3 different shapes of 818 fuel tanks. My kit is #340 received in April 2015. In general I find there is much about this kit that requires figuring out. I may not assemble my car exactly as FFR planned it, but I do my best to think things through and research on the forums before committing myself to a specific technique.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys.. Looks like i will cut it up tomorrow. Sundays tend to be my build day of the week. I agree, lots of 'figuring' it out. Plus im using an STI

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering if there any updates on the hose. Maybe some photos? I didn't want to cut up the hose until I know what parts are needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I got the same hose as the picture and use the short end for the gaz tank to the S tube and use 1/2 of what's left for the gaz cap ( 818C)got my kit in July

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick response!

Post Thanks / Like
    I confirm this is the most recent hose provided with the kit. Earlier kits like mine got the hose pictured in the manual. It's a very stiff hose that does not allow bending much which makes it very difficult to align with the fuel cap. I ordered and got that new hose, hopefully I can make the alignment easier.

Cut whatever pieces you need off of it.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    It is the right hose. Just be careful how you cut it as you can end up with lengths that are not long enough to do the job if you are not careful! (even if you ARE careful!) I'd tell you the lengths if I had recorded them, but mine were close to being not good, so I would not duplicate my attempt anyways.

If you dry fit the pipe you should be able to get a good idea what the lengths should be.

Sorry, the best I can give you is a warning to cut the lengths carefully!

-Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    About lenght, should it be as long as possible to allow better bending of the hose and better alignment it'd push the pipe too far back?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021