Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mark's MKIV 8666 Build Thread - Now for sale!

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a lot of little jobs done today, they all add up:

BRAKES
    1. Mounted and permanently installed the ABS bracket and the brake module.
    2. Finished bending and fitting all the brake lines.
    3. Finished mounting all the hard and soft lines with brackets and clamps. I was careful to mount them in a way where they could be swiveled out of the way if the ABS module would need service.
    I still need to finish wiring the ABS, which is really simple, four pairs of sensor wires, power, diagnostic, and brake switch. The brakes are now mechanically done, now just need to tighten all the nuts and bleed them.

image.jpeg

TRANSMISSION
    1. I cut and mocked up the trans mount, tacked it all in place. Then I welded and gusseted the A-frame and painted it black.
    2. Bolted in the A-frame and trans to the chassis. I now have clearance for the trans pan, shifter, and shifter mechanism in the tunnel.
    3. I tried to fit the factory mustang trans lines to the car, but they interfere with the front crossmember. I will have to bend them to fit over the crossmember.
    4. Worked out where my 24" Deraile trans cooler will go, just need a couple of L-brackets.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

WIRING
    1. I started running and working out best routing for the RF harness. I tried to mount the fuse box, but the provided bracket needs trimming to clear the relays.

MISC
    1. Mounted the remote oil filter.
    2. Fixed my earlier goof cutting the heater holes in the wrong spot.
    3. Permanently mounted engine accessory drive.
    4. Plumbed P/S pump to rack, but I will need to swap the 90 deg fitting with a straight coming out of the rack, it hits on the frame.

image.jpeg
    Last edited by 6t8dart; 07-05-2016 at 10:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working slowly the past few months, working on the car when I find time. I keep plugging away at the "to do" list, but I keep adding to it also. Since last update, I have mounted the radiator, mounted the trans cooler, and plumbed in the trans lines (along with a few other misc items I can't remember right now).

The radiator mounted.
    IMG_3297.JPG

In this pic I mounted the shroud and cut a hole for the fan. I also started fabbing up the mount for the 24" Deraile trans cooler (a smaller one would have been easier, I could have mounted it inside the fan shroud). Unfortunately I misjudged and was 6" shourt on the -6 AN line I ordered to go from the trans to the cooler, so I went back to the drawing board and mounted it to the x brace above the P/S rack.
    IMG_3299.JPG

I ended up make slotted adjustable mounts for it since I have very tight clearance to the fan hub, front suspension, and P/S lines. In the end, I got about 3/8" clearance to all of them. Another benefit is that the trans cooler is away from any road debris and gets additional cooling from the electric fan.
    IMG_3333.JPG IMG_3337.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still working on it when I can get a chance to sneak away.

I have started wiring the car and have routed and mounted the harness. I am not entirely happy with how the RF harness splits between the two tail lights, I think that the split needs to go upstream about a foot, but I made it work. I also gave up on my plans mounting the battery up front, because my ABS unit is on the drivers side, when I put the battery in the passenger side of the crossmember, it fit, but then I had no room to run the lower radiator hose. It was at that point i called uncle and moved the battery to the back where FFR tells you to put it. I am doing a Darkwater rear glovebox, so the battery is moving about 4" farther back. I have an ICT billet battery mount to hold it down.

In the dash area I tried several different placements for the fusebox, but ended up deciding that the FFR location works best. I still plan to put it on a hinge and thumbscrew for easy access if a fuse blows.

I finished the radiator, shroud, and fan assembly. I ended up riveting the shroud to the radiator flanges, and then used rivnuts for the fan mounting because i will not have access to the backside of the nuts. Used blue locktite to keep them from rattling out.

I did finalize the location of the auto shifter in the trans tunnel, but needed some countersink 5/16" bolts to mount through the square tubes. The shifter will end up with a 4" trim ring, leather boot, and a polished UPR shift ball so it will look like a manual trans car.

I also ordered Spintech 3000XL mufflers with oval tubes to go under the car. They should be arriving Thursday, maybe I will try to get them mounted next weekend so I can install the floors permanently. I plan on adding high temp heat shielding between the floor and exhaust pipes. I have not decided if i am running the exhaust out the back or the side of the car. I really want to install an H-pipe, but I'm having difficulty finding a good spot to run it.

Im still whittling away at things. I figure that every little "job" I finish gets me closer to startup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 6t8dart View Post
    I still plan to put it on a hinge and thumbscrew for easy access if a fuse blows. .
    Dog-gone-it, I like this idea. one more mod to do.

Good to hear an update from ya.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have only had on day since mid August to work on it, home project and Family come first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its been a while since I posted here, and since I have worked on the car. I decided that I needed to get back on the project and start knocking things out. I worked a little last year on the trans lines and exhaust, this weekend I worked on making a permanent mount for the shifter in the tunnel. Pics below:

After realizing I made a mistake on screwing the NPT into the trans, I removed the fitting and installed the correct straight thread with o-ring. Unfortunately, my fittings nolonger cleared the sheetmetal, so I had to use a 90 degree hard elbow on the top fluid line. It took a little re-thinking, but it fits fine now.

IMG_3370.JPG IMG_3374.JPG

I settled on Spintech flat mufflers since they sound good and actually fit under the seat pan of the frame, the oval tubes are 1 3/4" tall, so I am able to package the whole exhaust without hanging below the framerails. I welded the mounts to the outer tubes so they would allow me to bolt them in.

IMG_3420.JPG IMG_3418.JPG IMG_3419.JPG

I ended up using a flaring tool and a hammer to make the oval tube round again, but I may end up cutting and angling the end up a little to make it easier to attach to the headers.

IMG_3416.JPG

Finally, I built a 1/4" bracket to give the stock mustang shifter a solid mount in the trans tunnel. Everything in bolted together using nylock nuts. The sunken head bolts will sit flat when the sheetmetal goes on top. The shifter clears the trans by at least 1/2" at the lowest spot. I will be using the standard trim ring and a leather boot, the t-handle is being replaced by a polished billet knob, so it looks like a Manual trans car.

IMG_3703.JPG IMG_3705.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, life always has a way of getting in the way of projects. Family events, work, and other projects conspired, my plan in Feb to get the ball rolling never really worked out. I believe my car is between 50-100 work hours from being drivable. So after talking with my wife, we decided to enlist the help of Mark Dougherty (The Travelling Builder). He will be out the last week in August and hopefully we can get this damn thing on the streets.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Don't Let Things Get You Down Because Stuff Happens!

I was ready to start my car in February when my daily driver decided give me some issues.

https://youtu.be/svZX2BMSDEs

Once I got that car running I had an accident that messed up my left hand and guess what; I'm left handed.

https://youtu.be/BcsVu80VG5k

That side lined me pretty good until we finally got the project going again in June.

We All Have Life Issues That Get In The Way So Hang In There!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-24-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, you sound like you have been through it too.

Part of what happened this past February, I got rear ended pretty hard (brand new car, a month old) and hurt my left hand. Most of my joints hurt from living with RA for most of my life, my back was destroyed in 2001 and had surgery to fix it, and my shoulders are torn up from years of self abuse mountain biking in my 20's. So now every day I work on the car requires 2-3 days recovery. But I have built a Muscle car from start to finish that took me 8 years, so this project will finished. Hopefully getting Mark D out here will give me the kick to the behind I need. He will be here in one month, so I am starting to clean and organize the garage, and I want to finish and fabricating on the MKIV so we can just get this car together and running.

Things I plan to do before Mark D gets here:
    1. Finish fabricating and welding the exhaust (Spintech with oval pipes)
    2. Finish buttoning up the engine (Motor mounts, intake manifold, and shorty headers)
    3. Finish installing heater assembly (need to mount the heater box)
    4. Get a good start on hooking up the wiring harness.
    5. Finish covering and installing gauges in the dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Though I have not met Mark, the feed back folks have posted about him has all been great.
    With that said, I suggest you make Cruising The Coast your completion goal.
    if you've never been, you don't know what you have been missing.

https://cruisinthecoast.com/

PS: Once Mark gets there I think you and he will Rocking & Rolling along so don't fret.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-26-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took a day off from work Monday and got a little work done on the engine, I finally filled it with fluids, installed the intake, FITECH, installed a bunch of plugs and fittings, t-stat housing, and took some brackets to the powder-coaters. It felt good to work on the car without any stress or spending time just looking for stuff. I have to sort out why my shift cable no longer moves, unfortunately, I gave away my spare cable and now need to find a replacement Mustang cable.

I dug out my upholstery box and found the dash pad, all rolled up and full of wrinkles. Days in the Texas sun has not, and probably will not remove them. I managed to get a roll of marine vinyl, but am having trouble finding very thin 1/8" or 3/16" padding.

I am trying to get as much done before Mark D comes out on a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, my old compressor's tank rusted through and I am now also trying to scramble to buy a cheap temporary compressor before he gets here. I will try to find just an air tank, but I have little hope of finding a new replacement for one that is 10 years old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I dug out my upholstery box and found the dash pad, all rolled up and full of wrinkles. Days in the Texas sun has not, and probably will not remove them. I managed to get a roll of marine vinyl, but am having trouble finding very thin 1/8" or 3/16" padding.
    I've got a dash pad if you needed.
    It is in perfect shape and has been laying flat since 2015.
    Just P/M me your address and I'll send it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I've got a dash pad if you needed.
    It is in perfect shape and has been laying flat since 2015.
    Just P/M me your address and I'll send it.
    Thank you, but not necessary, I already have some material, and this allows me to use a thinner pad than factory for an easier covering.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dropped off 12 brackets at a local custom shop yesterday, they called me this morning and told me they were done! Holy cow! $50 for 24 hour service, they won my future business.

http://www.grapevineauto.com/

Post Thanks / Like

You can find the 1/8" Volara Sculpting foam at YourAutoTrim.com
    You can also get the DAP Weldwood HHR contact Cement there. These were suggested on EdwardB's thread.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooops!
    Sorry about the photo. Didn't intend to paste that in my reply about foam.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Ooops!
    Sorry about the photo. Didn't intend to paste that in my reply about foam.
    -Steve
    You had me going for a minute...I was searching the picture for the foam...

Post Thanks / Like
    You had me going for a minute...I was searching the picture for the foam...
    Ha, probably the most boring photo "accidentally" posted on the internet today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I like how you are controlling the fresh air valve to the footbox.

Post Thanks / Like
    Day 1, Mark had me take apart and fix a few minor items, we also finished a bunch of small things, got the radiator and cooling going, and started wiring.

Here is Mark finishing the passenger under car exhaust I started, it came out great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is Mark finishing the passenger under car exhaust I started, it came out great!
    Let's see more of that please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Life Just Got Better!
    Glad Mr. Dougherty Is On The Team!

Post Thanks / Like
    I took a day off from work Monday and got a little work done on the engine, I finally filled it with fluids, installed the intake, FITECH, installed a bunch of plugs and fittings, t-stat housing, and took some brackets to the powder-coaters. It felt good to work on the car without any stress or spending time just looking for stuff. I have to sort out why my shift cable no longer moves, unfortunately, I gave away my spare cable and now need to find a replacement Mustang cable.

I am trying to get as much done before Mark D comes out on a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, my old compressor's tank rusted through and I am now also trying to scramble to buy a cheap temporary compressor before he gets here. I will try to find just an air tank, but I have little hope of finding a new replacement for one that is 10 years old.
    Volara Sculpting foam works well, 1/8" Thk. When it came, it said Headliner Foam on the box. I purchased 1/2 a cow hide at Tandy Leather, "Studio Leather" was 2 1/2 OZ weight for $99 with military discount (was $119 without).

Dash - Leather Covered.jpg
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Day two under our belts, we ONLY managed to put in about 10 hours today. Ended up chasing some parts, backtracking a bit, luckily Mark caught that my engine was missing a oil pump drive shaft, that would have been a big issue with no oil pressure. He was able to track down one at a local Napa. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day we fire it up. Well...that is if we can find some gas.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad Mark was able to get down there with all the flight cancellations and delays, etc.!

I hope you are able to get a ton done while he is there. I look forward to seeing the first start. I tell you what, Mark catching the oil pump drive shaft problem was worth the cost of his visit!

Best of luck the rest of the weekend; I look forward to seeing your progress!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Three days went by fast, but Mark D works like a beast! He also cracked the whip on Mark K, together we beat up on Mark IV.

We put together and finished off the cooling system, fuel system, electrical system, brake system, exhaust system, corrected some suspension issues, ran wires, installed some aluminum, installed the driveshaft...we almost had to put starting it on hold since we were hit with a gas shortage. Thursday everything seemed to fight us. I ended up spending a mint on a bunch of money on many miscellaneous items, and well as an expensive new Optima battery because we figured out my battery tender got fried by lighting and took my new battery with it. Mark also thought to check down the distributor hole and noticed the oil pump drive shaft was missing?!?! So I had a list of things to pick up Friday before we could fire it up...and we had no gas, all the local stations were out. Friday, things started falling into place, I picked up the missing parts, managed to get a couple gallons of gas after waiting in line for 1/2 hour. Things started coming together, and at 5 pm, we turned the key...and the FITECH did its job and we had a running car! OK, dinner time! After dinner we finished bleeding the brake system. Mission accomplished! Through all this, I forgot to take any pictures or video! Oops, sorry everyone. This morning I picked Mark up and we made a punch list for me to go by before I took him to the airport!

Thanks Mark, you earned ever penny, in 72 hours you put in 100 hours worth of accomplishment. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Life Is Looking Up Over There For Sure!

They Don't Call Him The Traveling Builder For Nothing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Is this the shop that was just on Garage Rescue w/Richard Rawlins a couple weeks ago?
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Is this the shop that was just on Garage Rescue w/Richard Rawlins a couple weeks ago?
    Yes, that show was funny, I call it good entertainment. Not much has changed at Grapevine. And no, they are not the bumbling idiots the show made them out to be. I guess it was a good way to get a cosmetic makeover at the shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, events in my life, joint health issues, and coming move across the country are forcing me to put up for sale my MKIV Roadster. Last August, Mark D (traveling builder) helped me get all the systems working, engine running, and electrical hooked up, we only needed another 2 days to get to go kart and body on. I had intended to build her as a “street” Roadster with no hood scoop, under car exhaust and 15” sunburst style wheels

But since then, I have only been able to put in a day’s worth of work due to joint issues and knee surgery. So being realistic, I don’t think I can complete it by myself, and I don’t have any friends locally that are able to help me finish it. I really wanted to keep her, but I am having too much difficulty with my back, hip, and knee to do it by myself. I tried hard to work on her, but I couldn’t with knee that needed surgery. So after some internal debate, it’s time for her to go to a good home, as I don’t have a way to finish her.

It’s a sad day as I had wanted to build this car since 1998, I guess life goes on, if I can’t finish her, somebody else should be able to very quickly. I truly beleive that if I had a couple people to help me, I could have had her done and body on in a week or two.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123