Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Member in The Woodlands, TX

Post Thanks / Like

New Member in The Woodlands, TX

Hello All,

Our family has already started down the path toward our first FFR build. My wife and I are engineers, and our son is 15 years old and is a car nut. He wants to be a mechanical engineer, designing and building cars. What better way to fuel that ambition then to build a car of our own. We have no practical automotive repair/maintenance experience other then I used to change my own oil and filters. I’ve rebuilt a dirtbike carb and but otherwise I’m just a reasonably handy average guy and have most of the basic tools.

We would never have known where to even start this project if we were trying something like this 20 years ago. But, with this outstanding community, the captured knowledge and experience of so many people, and the general “how to” info available on the Internet these days we feel comfortable enough going for it. We know there will be tough times and frustrations along the way but that is all part of it. So much to learn!

I will post a teardown thread and link it shortly but right now I can tell you that we purchased our donor car through a Copart auction and have begun the long process of stripping and cleaning. We plan to rebuild the engine, transmission and attend a build class. We are all-in on this 818C project!

2004 WRX Tear-down Thread

- TX-Lou
    Last edited by TX-Lou; 07-29-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, which FFR are you building?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! We are going to build the 818C. Sorry, I should have included that. I'm just putting together some things for the initial tear-down post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! I'm in the Houston area, but way south of you.

818C - don't mean for a moment to dissuade you, but trust you've read the threads about 818 registration in Texas? Can be done, but less straightforward than a Roadster (or for that matter any other FFR).

Good luck with your build!
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ram_g: I am now. Thanks for the heads-up. I read through the thread. I have been so focused on reading all of the technical info I didn't even consider it would be an issue in Texas. I'll have to see how this plays out. Worst case sounds like I would have to take it for annual inspections.

BTW, I'm not sure what happened to my original intro post. I edited it to add a link to the tear-down thread I started. I guess it was either flagged as SPAM or is awaiting a moderator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-Lou View Post
    Worst case sounds like I would have to take it for annual inspections.
    That is correct. So my recommendation, unless it is completely counter to your plans, is to build it emissions compliant, i.e. retain the cats and OBD stuff.

If this is totally different from your plans, then you'll have to get creative, like thinking about what 25 year old (or older) car this replicates.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that was the way we were planning to go. With this first build we weren't as concerned about top speed, maxing acceleration, etc. Yeah, we would like it to be quick and fun to drive but we want it to be safe and easy for my wife and son to handle. Most of the upgrades we have planned are to improve the safety and drive/handling (Aluminum shift assembly, better brakes/rotors/calipers, etc.). Any advice along those lines would be greatly appreciated.