Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: fuel pick up

Post Thanks / Like

fuel pick up

I have an in tank fuel pump but the fuel pick up has no holes to feed the pump wires. Is it simply a case of drilling holes? Can anyone advise? Do I need a different fuel pick up to the suppled FFR one?

Thanks
    Ian

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Ian,

I'm not sure about your description of the "fuel pickup". If you are referring to the fuel pump assembly (3 inch diameter flange with fuel delivery and return connections and electrical plug female OEM usually red along with the bracket that holds the fuel pump and pump sock on the other side of the flange) then you don't need holes. You should refer to the pump installation instructions. You will attach the pump electrodes to the red and black wire hanging inside the assembly. Sometimes you have to install new end connectors to match the pump. The electrical input for the pump is supplied by the matching harness connector that mates to the female connector on the top of the fuel pump assembly. If you don't have a fuel pump assembly like I described, you may not have the correct part for a EFI setup. You can post a pic to verify the component you described in the first post.

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Your pickup should look like this. See the red and black wires leading from the pump to the white harness connector on the top.
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...=715&cat_id=39
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Your pickup should look like this. See the red and black wires leading from the pump to the white harness connector on the top.
    Thank you guys. Yes we are talking about the correct part Skull. Mine doesn't have electrical connections on the top, so can't go with an internal pump I reckon, unless I change it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    The Breeze product says its good for 440 flywheel hp, so that's not enough. What do you guys do when you have more HP?

Post Thanks / Like
    The easiest option is an external fuel pump, like Holley or Aeromotive.

Depending on the tank you have, there might be an option for dual pumps.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    The easiest option is an external fuel pump, like Holley or Aeromotive.

Depending on the tank you have, there might be an option for dual pumps.
    I think I'd prefer an external pump. Can I use the supplied fuel pickup with that idea? Mine has 3/8 and 1/4 external diameter connections.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like you are talking about the fuel pickup for a carb (or EFI with an external pump) so to use it you will need a fuel pump. If you go with an internal pump (like the Breeze photo) all you will need to do is hook up the wires, pressure and return lines. You can buy higher capacity in-tank fuel pump assemblies from many suppliers.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark sells a 190 LPH and 255 LPH in-tank pump as well. Not just the one referenced. Internal vs. external pump has pro's and con's both ways. But internal pumps are typically quieter and are cooled so may last longer. External pumps are certainly easier to service. I will be installing an internal pump on my new upcoming Mk4 build.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ed. So I just need confirmation that if I go for an external pump, can I use the standard fuel pickup that FFR supply? I like the sound of the 255 LPH product that Mark sells, so if it gets too complicated maybe that is the route I should go!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I have a spare fuel pick up with the wires if you want it.

Good Luck
    Norm
    Last edited by Norm B; 07-30-2015 at 10:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm B View Post
    I think I have a spare fuel pick up with the wires if you want it.

Good Luck
    Norm
    Thanks Norm!!. Would this be like the Breeze one including the pump? Or would I need to add pump?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is the stock one out of a 95 Mustang V6, I think, and might be too small for your application. Sounds like you are going to be making lots of power and the lines out of the pickup don't look big enough for that. Your best bet might be to use your current one and a good external pump. Easier to repair and much more powerful than anything that can be fitted to the pick up I have. Let me know if you still want it and I'll try and find it. Garage is a mess as I've started a new project with my son. Putting a 4.5 litre Q45 engine in a 1990 300zx. Wife is going to kill me soon!

Good Luck
    Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Norm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ian,

I was checking my Ford Racing Parts Catalog about the fuel pump delivery. It says that a 255 l/hr in tank pump will support up to 700 hp (I'm assuming they are talking about Ford Racing pumps). So it would make sense to go with that setup. If you need more you could piggy back an inline pump for more delivery. There are some great facts about the fuel delivery systems for Ford engines in these catalogs. Remember the system needs to be balanced so you get good pressure and large enough lines and fuel rails to insure the volume is there all the way through the power curve.

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wek. I have upsized my fuel lines to 1/2 inch and 3/8 return. I managed to find a complete fuel pick up, including 340 l/hr pump and AN fittings welded to pipes. I think the issue is solved now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of curiosity pls tell us about this engine you are planning on. Also can you put some car details in your signature line. That helps us answer questions w/ more precision. IE; I just picked the first pickup I came across in the Breeze listings. If I had known you are planning a huge motor I would have looked at gph numbers.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig, you are right - I ought to put down my planned specs. No its not a huge motor, just I read in another build guide (David Smith?) that the supplied fuel lines are only good for 300hp, so once upgrading those, I had to upgrade pump too. One thing led to another!

The engine is a 351W stroked to 427, EFi, and the estimated horsepower is 580 (fly/w)

Post Thanks / Like
    Your 1/2" fuel and 3/8" return lines are way over kill for the fuel your engine will need. There are a lot of online fuel line sizing programs that can give you the answer on what is required for your engine. I'm running a 400 HP Coyote and the 5/16" fuel and 1/4" return are very adequate. The smaller lines are easier to manage and the bends can be smaller. Google "fuel line sizing calculator" for a bunch. Here is one
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    Your 1/2" fuel and 3/8" return lines are way over kill for the fuel your engine will need. There are a lot of online fuel line sizing programs that can give you the answer on what is required for your engine. I'm running a 400 HP Coyote and the 5/16" fuel and 1/4" return are very adequate. The smaller lines are easier to manage and the bends can be smaller. Google "fuel line sizing calculator" for a bunch. Here is one
    I have been guided by my engine builder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Ian,

BTW: what monster are you building to need all that gas?

WEK

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Hi Ian,

BTW: what monster are you building to need all that gas?

WEK
    I have read elsewhere that 1/2" is good for up to approx 800 hp.
    The engine is a 351W stroked to 427, EFi, and the estimated horsepower is 580 (fly/w)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chopthebass View Post
    ...I read in another build guide that the supplied fuel lines are only good for 300hp...
    Be careful about believing everything you read on the internet (of course you just read my comment on the internet so take that for what it's worth )

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    220 liter/hr is 50 gallons/hr... draining a 16 gal tank in ~20 minutes. that's a lot of fuel!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Be careful about believing everything you read on the internet (of course you just read my comment on the internet so take that for what it's worth )

Jeff
    ha ha! I read that in D. Brain Smith's build book. He was given that info by Jesse Powell at Aeromotive. He advised him that for a 500hp engine 3/8 lines are ok, but he recommends 1/2 inch. My engine builder agreed with this, so good enough for me!