Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Water tank on the engine

Post Thanks / Like

Water tank on the engine

Can you not just plumb the water line from the turbo to the inlet on the water manifold and get rid of the tank if you have one off the rad?

Post Thanks / Like
    That tank is the highest point in the water cooling system. You need it in order to properly bleed the cooling system.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    So as long as we put a bleed in that hose, we are good?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRacing View Post
    So as long as we put a bleed in that hose, we are good?
    In an overheat situation the steam will accumulate at the highest point. You want your pressure release radiator cap at the highest point to release the steam into the overflow tank. The cooler water in the overflow tank will condense the steam back to liquid.
    If the radiator cap is not at the highest point, I will just puke out liquid into the overflow tank and then onto the road while your engine fills with super heated steam. I even moved my tank higher for better functionality.
    Bob

degas.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 07-30-2015 at 09:35 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    So a high temp pressure relief valve, in line to a catch tank, set at a pressure just under that of the rad cap should do it, much lighter and takes up no room. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    So a high temp pressure relief valve, in line to a catch tank, set at a pressure just under that of the rad cap should do it, much lighter and takes up no room. Thoughts?
    The reason for the DEGAS tank is so bubbles will get collected in the tank. If you just have a hose, the bubbles will get flushed back into the engine.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Odd, never had one of those before, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    high temp pressure relief valve? You mean a radiator cap? Subaru uses a higher pressure cap on the radiator so the expansion tank (Subaru calls it a water tank) will release first. About 1.3 bar or 19 PSI on the radiator and about 1.08 bar or 16 PSI on the tank. I went with both being 19. You can get 25-30 PSI caps if you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, the upper coolant tank is used during cool-down of the turbo post engine shut off. Having a reservoir of coolant above the turbo allowed gravity/"convection" flow post engine run. A lot of questions used to be asked in the WRX forums about adding an after-market turbo-timer and because of the upper cooant tank it was considered pointless.

For a track only car where you are mindful of proper cool down procedures, I think you could argue against the upper tank - with respect to the other degas and bleeding procedures.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I built a larger tank that I mounted to the frame above the engine. The higher mount point ensures proper bleeding and the tank is large enough to act as an expansion tank - so the overflow really isn't needed (though I still have it currently).

Post Thanks / Like
    We pu the tank in, not worth the weight savings to chance it.