Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Possibly the worst Idea I have had yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly the worst Idea I have had yet.

Hello,

I own a 2006 Impreza WRX,
    A year ago it was almost totaled at the shop with hail damage ( had the insurance company know that the sun roof was aftermarket, it would have been totaled. )
    At the time I wasn't sure if I wanted it to be totaled or not; yes, for the cheap buy back because I just bought the car, no, because that meant I was driving around a beat up Rubasu.
    sadly the body shop i took it to sucked. so i got the worst of both cases, expensive and poor quality.

It got me thinking though, and especially with the new 818C, this might be a great Idea if something were to happen to it again. Since the donor parts are all Subaru including the transmission I was curious If anyone has tried or thought of an AWD 818? ( read title... I know )

If the engine and transmission were placed backwards would this fit? Aside from all the frame work that would need to be done, this would involve reversing the direction of the engine, cam, firing order, transmission, differentials.... OR!!!! ( and more feasibly I think ) Would it be possible to reverse just differentials, IE: the final gear rotated to the opposite side of the drive shaft? ( aside from any subsequent case modifications )

Again, Just an Idea... and a difficult one at that.
    Thoughts? Opinions?
    Last edited by METAL C6R; 08-25-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would cost less to buy a Ferrari.

There's one guy on here building an electric with motors at each corner. Again, I think this would also cost less.

Palatov makes a lightweight racer that puts a Suzuki Huyabusa engine in the passenger seat and runs 4WD using chains front to back.

Saw one last week autocrossing. 950#, Turbo engine, switchable up to 500 HP. About 4' shorter than an 818 and about 1' narrower. It was brand new. Broke on the 2nd run so I didn't get to see what it was capable of.
    818S - #200

"To finish first, you must first finish"
    "If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley
    "Never run out of real estate, ideas and traction at the same time."

Post Thanks / Like
    You can flip the differential around. The Vanagon guys do that and the sandrail guys might as well. As far as getting it all to fit and working out steering? That's a different matter.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Comparatively speaking your Viper powered Coupe idea would be a walk in the park.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, I figured this would be far-fetched lol... that's just what I do. stupid ridiculous ideas that would be cool and unique. but are always the hardest way about doing things.

I think the rotated diff would work but it is so involved that I'm not even sure that it would even get finished if started.
    plain and simple it would be a nightmare. and that's best case!

Plus side though! With the "typical" stock (non-STI) power distribution settings of ~60f/~40r that would change to a more suitable 60r/ 40f ( Yay less throttle understeer )

Post Thanks / Like
    AWD is overrated anyways

Post Thanks / Like
    meh,

Rally vs Track
    Weight vs Mobility

All it really comes down to

Post Thanks / Like
    You had the title of this thread correct anyway.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO the way to go if one was determined to have an awd 818 would be to run electric power up front, on demand power like a Porsche 918. For the added weight, you could even call it a 918, ha.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by METAL C6R View Post
    Plus side though! With the "typical" stock (non-STI) power distribution settings of ~60f/~40r that would change to a more suitable 60r/ 40f ( Yay less throttle understeer )
    0f/100r also has very little throttle understeer