FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Checkout this 818 for sale on CL

Post Thanks / Like

Checkout this 818 for sale on CL

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5164575418.html

Looks like stock photos. But the price can't be beat. It does make me slightly depressed that price is so low.

Thoughts? Anyone interested?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's the white 818 photos they debuted the car in from the open house. He says that it's not complete. I wouldn't worry to much about the price. Wished it was a bit higher like 15 but it's not complete and for a bit more you could get chads at 25-30 for a complete rocket. I'm not selling mine so these things don't effect me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That should cost at least $15 min. I am pretty lost why the car is not catching on past the initial purchasers. This kit should be widely desired and bring way more coin.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm @ $13,500 for cost currently and 90% to 95% completed. I still need exhaust, seats, wipers, seatbelts, and a recent wiring gremlin (blinkers completely stopped working). I will most likely be the first sub $15k completed car. My donor vehicle only cost me $500 LoL._20150810_133307.JPG
    Last edited by TrickyPete; 08-10-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the mid 30k for my build but I keep upgrading. My donor ended up being a bust and need rebuilding. Very little was sold off and I keep upgrading and changing directions. Still need to finish interior and do body work for paint once the hardtop gets released.

Maybe the way he posted it isn't grabbing much attention. It was a very vague post. I Would of done a post like chads if I was to try and sell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Metal - I would say because they're not seen on the streets really yet. There are only a handful that we know are done. Many builders take awhile to finish the job instead of the pace of Wayne or Erik.

I think values will go up once they're seen commonly on track and advertised by driving on the street.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I've noticed that there was this sort of rush of early builders and now I'm not seeing many completed 818s. It makes me wonder of the true ease of the build since it seems that buyers are getting overwhelmed. Then again, it is hard to judge what is really going on based on these forums alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Values are driven down by a few things, mainly FFR's advertised finished price of $15k. Every time on facebook I see someone ask about it the convo goes like this:

person A "OMG, cool, what is this?!"
    Person with 818 "FFR 818, etc etc"
    Person B "yeah, you can build it for $15k!!"
    Person A "awesome!"
    person with 818 "I have $25k into mine"
    person A/B "what!??! no way?!?!"

lol

The kit was marketed to be much more bolt together than it truly ended up being. I'm ok with that but, as my friend who wanted to build one said "I would be pissed if I bought one because I have no fab skills at all, but I can bolt things together".
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know why some think that this should sell for more. Its a 10K kit with some? maybe all the parts needed from the donor, with a little bit put together. I could almost get the same thing from factory five new with a donor pallet. As far as future values go I would have a hard time putting my life on the line in a car someone I didn't know put together. Who knows how diligent they were or even if they had a clue what they were doing.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Values are driven down by a few things, mainly FFR's advertised finished price of $15k. Every time on facebook I see someone ask about it the convo goes like this:

person A "OMG, cool, what is this?!"
    Person with 818 "FFR 818, etc etc"
    Person B "yeah, you can build it for $15k!!"
    Person A "awesome!"
    person with 818 "I have $25k into mine"
    person A/B "what!??! no way?!?!"

lol

The kit was marketed to be much more bolt together than it truly ended up being. I'm ok with that but, as my friend who wanted to build one said "I would be pissed if I bought one because I have no fab skills at all, but I can bolt things together".
    That is exactly the conversation when people come look at the car at the track.... With a a couple more statements:

Fanboy- "That thing is fast! It shoots flames out the back"

Me- "Thanks"

Fanboy- "I saw the build in Grassroots and other internet sites.... That is a cool car for $15k"

Me- "That is the street version, this is the race version"

Fanboy- "Ohhhh cool, so is it cheaper since you do not need the interior?"

Me- "No, it costs a bit more than a street car in most respects"

Fanboy- "Hmmmm really? Why?

Me- "Dry Sump, Fire System, Fuel Cell, Aero, wing mounts, real bumpers, custom parts for safety, and other upgrades"

Fanboy-"So $20k?"

Me- "Nope, not even close"

Fanboy- "REALLY! They really need to tell you the real cost of building one before you start"

I think some people just get in over their head with the costs, I don't blame them.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    The craiglist ad says that the pics are of a finished car so not his. He just has the kit and donor and some misc parts. Still got to put it all together, but assuming he does have all the parts needed your into for his asking price which could probably be talked down a grand or so which would then leave you room to spend alittle and still be done for $15,000.. I was quoted from a reputable builder on here for a complete car at $25,000 turn key. That is with donor engine not a rebuilt one, and no paint work. So if I paid extra to get the engine rebuilt and have the body work/paint done I'd be well over $30,000 and I just can't see it when I could get a good used Roadster for that. Whitby quoted me a couple years ago at $40,000 for a turn key Roadster, with paint, and new base engine from Ford..
    A few months ago there is what looked like a nice 818 for sell in Grassroots Motorsports that won the NOPI Nationals for $25,000

My concern with attempting to build one of the 818's is seeing a lot of people having trouble getting the body panels to line up good. Heck GRM even mentioned it on their car... That is the one thing I'd thought that FF would have gotten nailed down by now...
    Last edited by N2MINI; 08-11-2015 at 09:07 AM. Reason: more info

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to advertise mine on Ebay soon. Will see how far it goes. I suspect it will come no where near what I have into it. If not I will keep it. My car is a very well built car with some nice options and a complete interior.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a good price....

Here is a basic breakdown of my white car.

Kit with tax.$11,200
    Donor car.....$3,700
    Delivery.........$800
    Seats/Interior..$800
    Radio/speaker.$318
    Backup camera $90
    Carbon fiber.. $795
    Wheels..........$530
    Tires.............$412
    New brakes....$297
    New clutch.....$254
    new timing belt $400 (installed by pro shop)
    New fluids......$103
    New Radiator..$100
    New master....$180
    Tune..............$500
    Down pipe......$225
    Replacement of rusted parts $233
    Trunk.............$200
    Wipers...........$200
    Spray paint & cleaners... $114

Gross total....$21,451

Add to that the professional body prep (Paul) and labor (Tom) and I am at....$25,201 and I still have no paint or wrap on it. So yes I think they should be selling for more. I am offering my completed car for $18,500 so a $6700 loss.

I too don't get it. These cars are extremely rare and will outperform cars 10X the price. I go on a car rally every week. We had 19 cars last week worth a combined millions. What did people gawk at? The one that was not the Lambo or Ferrari. These cars fit in with the best of them and excel at the looks and performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    You tell me if it is out of its element?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I recognize a few of those cars.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want the prices to go up people have to ask for more. Think when people are trying to get out they just want out so selling for low has a good shot, but when everyone does that prices will never move up. Its like any rare car that's not "mainstream" they never go for much because no one knows what to look for....

I own a 1985 MR2 that I restored to show quality. Its rare car today especially for being so clean, but in the end of the day no one knows what it is or would ever want it because it was never in a movie, book, magazine, or TV show. Kit markets are like that it seems I'm okay with that though .
    Last edited by redfogo; 08-11-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    At the end of the day it's still a Kit Car unfortunately.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep not something worth buying if you think you will get anything close to what you put in it. Plus when people hear kit car they think ohh one of those old fiero testarossa things... or Factory five whats that? Is it even legal to build a car? Even if i was in the market to buy an already built car, you are trusting your safety and quality to some guy in his garage. I trust myself I don't know if I trust every builder who buys an 818 kit. That's my thought on kits though. At least this all went through my head before I bought my kit. Assume its a fun pit to burn money into never to get it back out. I assume for the worst though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell that to the Noble, SLC or Ultima buyer/sellers. All of which sell very well and are not stymied by the kit car mantra.

Post Thanks / Like
    In all fairness, those cars are on a much higher level than FFR.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, I wanted to do some track time. Not enough for an R, but at least get out and have some fun. I'm going to finish out higher than originally planned (north of $25).

Now, that would buy a really nice 911 that would be a blast on the track, and the street, plus, it would have all the creature comforts. What led me to the 818S was styling, building my own car, and most importantly, repairing my own car.

$25K might buy a 911, but fixing it is another issue. With an 818, I get supercar performance on a shoestring budget (in comparison). If I break a transmission, I can find one on craigslist fairly cheap and be back out in week. Not so with a 911.

Do I wish values were higher, yes, of course. Does that make me want to do a Cobra kit, no it does not.
    818S - #200

"To finish first, you must first finish"
    "If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley
    "Never run out of real estate, ideas and traction at the same time."

Post Thanks / Like
    The car for sale on C/L is mine and yes I'm willing to go down in price, if necessary. I need the space in my garage to build an RCR GT40 kit that was an unplanned purchase and I couldn't pass it up after letting one slip by six years ago. I didn't think I had enough posts to advertise here and besides that, would have missed out on the potential C/L "entertainment factor".

You can message me if you want.....

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all you have to remember it's a car, ( a depreciating asset) and a kit car at that. The market for these cars is small to say the least. Sure they perform on par with a Ferrari, but, it's not a "Ferrari". Even fully restored '57 Chevys can't sell for what the cost to restore them is .
    This is a hobby not a profit making venture for most of us. It's almost like owning a boat, but instead of a hole in the water to throw money into, it's a hole in the asphalt. Lol. The difference being with a boat and these cars is, with a boat the two happiest days are when you buy it and when you sell it, with these cars the happiest is when you buy it and the saddest day is when you sell it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post

yes- I agree........the no paint sold me on the kit. it has been more challanging than i anticipated but that means more reward in the end. I didnt buy this car to make money, its a hobby and i dont know any hobbies that are free. as for the no paint.....ya it will have to do for a while but to look really good it will need painted eventually. right now i cant imagine getting rid of it ever...........unless of course i decided to do another kit of some sort. How do the other FFR kits compare to this one in the abilities needed to build them?

when i was first looking at building a kit car I wanted to build the shelby aka mk4, i saw one on ebay for 25K, it turned me off.......what a bargain that was,stupid me. you know there is just some guys and gals that like to build things and get satisfaction out of the time spent doing so, its my therapy!

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    In all fairness, those cars are on a much higher level than FFR.
    I would put my GTM up against any of them. I have taken home best of show in the GTM against million dollar cars parked and judged right next to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    I would put my GTM up against any of them. I have taken home best of show in the GTM against million dollar cars parked and judged right next to me.
    That is great to hear. It is too bad some on here have had such bad luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    I think the point they were trying to make is now lets put those same cars up for sell and see what they sell for against each other... I'm not knocking your car at all. I'm have no doubt it's a great looking, running, driving car, but at the end up the day it's a FF Kit Car.. and that's not a knock against FF either, it's just that everyone knows of them and what they produce. If you wanted to build something they MIGHT be worth a lot in return it would need to be a 1 off custom so there is nothing to compare it to really...