Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Be careful of windows 10

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Be careful of windows 10

I recently upgraded my home pc to windows 10 from 8.1. Every thing worked great for 3 days. Then my hard drive and screen locked up and went blank. I took it to a Microsoft repair facility I have used for the last 15 years in my little town. The end result was I lost everything. Please get a back up hard drive and save your data and back it up regularly so this does not happen to you. I lost thousands of pictures, documents , email addresses, etc. I am not the only person that 10 has done this to. Best of luck. I am going back to having a large drink to wet my sorrows. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I recently upgraded my home pc to windows 10 from 8.1. Every thing worked great for 3 days. Then my hard drive and screen locked up and went blank. I took it to a Microsoft repair facility I have used for the last 15 years in my little town. The end result was I lost everything. Please get a back up hard drive and save your data and back it up regularly so this does not happen to you. I lost thousands of pictures, documents , email addresses, etc. I am not the only person that 10 has done this to. Best of luck. I am going back to having a large drink to wet my sorrows. LOL.
    Sorry to hear that. Doesn't make you feel any better, but any hardware and any software version can fail causing data loss. Everyone should have some kind of backup strategy regardless of what OS they're running and how reliable they think their system is. There are a number of options.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine's been working fine except I'm a bit of an impatient fellow and I have to wait for 3-5 minutes after logging in to boot Google Chrome or it will not boot until the whole computer is rebooted and the 3-5 minutes is waited again... But, we get free $200 software in return for our issues, that will (hopefully) eventually get patched.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is odd, as we have not received many total catastrophic reports on Window 10. There could have been many reason this happened, was this on boot ? Hibernation ?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had several issues also, but I don't know what is to blame. But it seems like every time I'm really close to bearing my head on a wall, out of nowhere comes a random update that seems to fix it for a while. Maybe some of us got really buggy initial releases?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had full GWX countermeasures in place since November.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this thread is a bit dated but the issue outlined above does not sound like an Operating System (OS) failure. It sounds like a hard-drive failure. Good advise for anyone, as stated in that post, is to back up all of your pictures and documents on a secondary drive or computer. That way they are easily recoverable on another device. I do have a hard time believing that "all" was lost as this is rarely the case when a hard drive fails. Most times a secondary means of recovery will allow some, if not all, of the material to be recovered using another device. We have Win10 running on 5 PC's right now and the only issue we've had is with our Media Server. Each time windows updates it changes the sharing credential of our video library. I have to go in and re-share each file, which can take some time since they are stored on separate hard-drives. Other than that Win10 has performed flawlessly since download.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Frank, it sounds like the hard drive, not the OS?

I have had issues with Windows 10 opening Chrome browser, sometimes requiring a re-boot. Any idea of how to correct that?

My biggest fear with all these pre-loaded apps, is the amount of bandwidth, (or whatever the proper term is,) that is being used for constant updates and whatever else they are doing, that's using up my 50GB p/month service plan..Several apps I've never even opened, are using it up..

Post Thanks / Like
    Give this a shot(https://www.piriform.com/recuva) you may be ale to get some stuff back if you haven't written over the data yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I have had issues with Windows 10 opening Chrome browser, sometimes requiring a re-boot. Any idea of how to correct that?
    I too had that problem on all three computers we upgraded. I wondered if Microsoft was maybe working a little too hard (!!) to promote their new Edge browser. What I found though is that when Chrome wouldn't start, other things in the Control Panel, etc. also wouldn't start. So it was deeper than only Chrome. Only a reboot fixed it, and I never spent the time to try to figure it out. I haven't seen the problem for some months now. I suspect the Windows 10 updates that have been coming down the line have fixed it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I had seen this earlier. In December I upgraded to Win 10 on my laptop and had nothing but problems so I took it to the Microsoft store. They kept it for 2 weeks and gave me a Surface 4 loaner. The Surface Pro 2 I already had was better (speed & storage) than the loaner. Microsoft got my laptop working with Win 10 but lost all files! Fortunately, I had a backup on a remote hard drive, but the upgrade debacle cost me many hours!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    For those who want to keep 7 it may not be too late. I'm using GWX Control Panel and so far have been having very good success. The longer you wait to install countermeasures the more difficult it will be to keep 7.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is an old thread, but many people are still having huge issues converting their computers to Win 10. Microsoft has been promoting Windows 10 as a free upgrade if you have Vista, 7, or 8. I wondered why, so I looked deeper. Found out that once you update to 10, most of the your old software will not be compatible with your older computer running Win 10. The newer versions of said software (MS Office, for example), are not a one-time purchase any longer; you pay an annual fee to use them. This is how they get your money, and the reason they offer 10 for free as an upgrade.

When I did a test on my 7 year-old laptop (which runs on Win 7 Ultimate 64-Bit) to see if it would be compatible with Win 10, the prognosis was that some of my software "may not be compatible"; plus some installed (DVD burner), remote (Wi-Fi connected), and external (printer, scanner, etc.) hardware also "may not work properly or at all after OS installation". It also stated that although my computer had the required hardware to handle Win 10, that there was no guarantee it would work on my specific computer.

This arose a huge red flag for me. As a rule of thumb, I never "upgrade" a computer to a newer operating system it was not built for, especially an older one. Remember the Vista patch fiasco? All my programs, anti-virus, and other software still run great. My laptop has run fine with the OS it came with, and it will die with the same OS. Just my two cents.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    About a month ago,They tried to 'force feed' my computer with windows 10 (With Out My Approval)... Took it to a local computer store .Sixty bucks, and two days later,I'm back on Win 7. And (for now) all is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    An easy and cheep way to back up your documents and photos is to install the Microsoft cloud storage now called One Drive. It is free and keeps all media synced between all of your windows devices. If your computer dies or disappears, your documents, photos and movies are gust a click away from being restored.