Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The GTM-R

Post Thanks / Like

The GTM-R

As there has been questions in another thread and we didn't want to side track/derail that thread further, I would like to talk about a few things in regards to racing a GTM based car, www.myraceshop.com, and where the build is at.

First off, at the request of FFR we have dropped any referrence to the "GTMR" or "GTM-R" from our discussions of the car that Prototype Development Group is running in sanctioned racing events. FFR stated to us that they do not offer a "GTMR", only a "GTM" and preferred that we, all the people involved with the Prototype Development Group race GTM, stop using that moniker. We have done so, but since I am piloting a program that, at this point, has nothing to do with FFR, yet is based very loosely upon the body of a GTM, I have taken over using the GTM-R moniker to describe/identify my race only GTM themed project.

Secondly, www.myraceshop.com will continue to offer parts and "kits" for the GTM as well as offering custom made and production race car parts. Some of these are specific to a stock FFR GTM, and some of them are "race only" parts requiring modest amounts of modification/fabrication. I continue to develop more and more parts to offer, almost daily. Meaning I am working everyday to perfect a part or come up with a new one that will help the GTM or race car builder. To that end it can be noted that the final part required for the Header Tank Kit appears to be being shipped to me today, so look for that item available here: http://myraceshop.com/GTM-R_Pieces.html shortly.

Third is the build of the GTM-R itself. I am not all that far along on this as I have been aquiring parts and doing engine and body work for about 8 months now, but you wouldn't know it by looking in my shop. That is how these projects go. They look like a mess of parts and pieces and then, all of a sudden, they start taking shape and looking like a finished product. I have found almost all major components for the car and am shooting for a sub $100k build. Sounds expensive, but not really when considering things like the wing, for example, I am using originally cost the "new" item purchaser $18,000, yet I picked it up for $500. I'm calling in a lot of favors, spending $$ on things I feel are needed to go fast, and am being patient with internet auction sites so as to pick up good deals.

My intent is not to keep this project really a secret. To this end, the car that I am developing will be able to be seen at www.gtm-r.com once I get that site up and running. Maybe I should say "if". LOL!

The real reason many haven't heard or seen much about it yet is that I want to have things done and proven before I actually post anything up. The first "installment" will be the engine mods and resulting dyno sheets. Again, I am trying some kind of "out there" hardware on this engine and wanted to have some results before posting anything. Obviously if something doesn't work as intended, I will be modifying and testing again until I either abandon the thought or completely develop it and offer it to others.

A brief overview of the idea behind the GTM-R is this. I am trying to build a fast, reasonably priced, race car that is capable of 150-175 MPH and do it all by myself, in my own shop, as far as design and build is concerned. I don't own a lot of fancy tools and will be having a buddies machine shop do much of the cutting of parts. Other than that, I will be doing almost all the fab work. Frame, body mods, engine mods, designing and building suspension, etc. will all be my doing. I'm using a Bill Mitchell/Performance Trends program to design the suspension parameters and Autosketch to draw the parts.

I will try and post some stuff on here and the "other" forum as I go, but the first release of official info will be on either the www.myraceshop.com or www.gtm-r.com.

Hope this answers some questions, and I will certainly try and answer any further questions any of you may have.
    Last edited by David Hodgkins; 05-12-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo in link for crash...
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Plate

Here's a couple pics of the engine plate being cut. Very early stage.

Engine Plate 2.jpgEngine Plate 1.jpg
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, LS3 front engine plate is coming along well. Still needs a lot of work, but this will do to seal everything up for dyno work...

Engine Plate 3.jpg
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    The shocks, rockers, and sway bar.

Ohlins tt44 Shocks.jpg

NOTE- Hey, what a great feature, a user can't post the same picture in two different threads! That's just GREAT!!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Crash,

Looks like you've gone to the IndyCar salvage yard! You will have to clue me in on how you are locating this stuff. Looks like great stuff and knowing you....you got it for next to nothing.

Clue me in on your approach to your suspension design using these components that were for designed for inboard location, mainly to clean up the aero. Since you are running full bodywork, aren't you complicating things a bit?
    Ciao,

Joel

Working ever so slowly on GTM #269, Twin Turbo SBC, Ricardo, Kit arrived April 5, 2009

http://photobucket.com/JCHRacer_GTM_Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Joel-

Yes it is complicating things, but I got great deals on the stuff so even sending the shocks to be revalved, or even rebodied, will still save me some $$$.

As to inboard? My computer model does it, so I can easily do the calcs, I also have some pushrods already, rockers, and now the shocks. A buddy has tons of springs that are 6 inchers, so it will actually be economical for me to try a range around what the modeling recommends. All this, and the facts that I can use the cool sway bar setup and adjust the suspension with the lever action of the rockers makes the decision to go "complex" the correct one for me. Helps with unsprung weight and center of mass stuff too, but I'm not too worried about that in this project, otherwise I would be using these...

LMP CC Discs.jpg

OK, that's just showing off, but the point is that I'm not going sky's the limit crazy on this stuff and keeping it reasonable with what I have on hand.

Don't know anybody interested in some 4 disc AP Indy Car clutches, do you? I don't think I will be using these either, although I did consider it.

AP Clutch 1.jpg

I've ebayed them a couple times, but they are pretty specialized, and no bites at $1500, $2500 BIN.

These were ~$4k EACH new and basically unavailable now, so someone looking for spares...well, this is a good deal.

As to where I get this stuff...a former employer is an...acquantance...with Dan Gurney and bought a bunch of stuff from him. He went through the stuff and then offered me a bunch of the "left overs" as a package deal.

You should see the stuff he kept, including an entire car. THAT'S the really cool stuff.
    Last edited by crash; 05-31-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Sound logical Crash. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Ciao,

Joel

Working ever so slowly on GTM #269, Twin Turbo SBC, Ricardo, Kit arrived April 5, 2009

http://photobucket.com/JCHRacer_GTM_Build