Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So it begins.......

Post Thanks / Like
    I took a quick look around on the net and I do see that most are reporting around 30 PSI at idle. I can tell you that hot we do not see that on our engines, but it may be a gage issue? We run our engines long and hard and have not had any oil related failures...knock on wood. We run the specified Mobil 1 oil. We run a partial dry sump system that still uses the stock pump for block pressurization, so it should be the same as any other wet sump crate engine as far as oil pressure is concerned.

All that said, I think I would check your gage and then also check the blue o ring at the pump that is commonly pinched or cut on installation before getting too crazy with tearing your engine apart. Next thing I would check is the thrust bearing tolerances, which, IIRC, can be done with a feeler gage after removing the oil pan.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks crash! I was hoping you'd chime in. I have a hunch it's the o ring at the pump too. I know that is a common issue and thought I was cautious of it but maybe not. We'll see. Unfortunately I have to pull the motor to Check that.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I got off my "woe is me" arse and picked up a wrench! It comes apart a lot faster than it goes together lol

And it'll go back together just fine...... Eventually. I'll get a new starter now which I needed and I'll rotate the plug on the compressor

I'll let you know what was wrong with the oil pressure situation

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see you still at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks aceflo, hope your build is going smoother lol
    Last edited by tucker298; 09-17-2016 at 06:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My build is going super smooth ..... I walk out into my garage. I see the car sitting there. I say to the car .... "Wow. You are going to be awesome someday". Then I return inside the house and work on my long honey-to-do list of things not GTM related.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceflo View Post
    My build is going super smooth ..... I walk out into my garage. I see the car sitting there. I say to the car .... "Wow. You are going to be awesome someday". Then I return inside the house and work on my long honey-to-do list of things not GTM related.
    LOL! Sounds like you're on the smart path! It might take a little longer, but there's a chance that your wife will stay happier about it for a longer period of time.

And yes, it will be awesome when it's done.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok! So let my mistakes help out future builders lol so the oil pressure situation was completely my fault. When I put the pick up tube on the oil pump it was not completely seated. For the life of me I don't know why GM only uses one bolt to keep that tube on when there are two bolt holes. Luckily my friend Tyler who is a real performance mechanic helped me out and found the problem in about two seconds and then showed me this product

Post Thanks / Like
    The other thing he pointed out was my flywheel seems to be warped slightly, which may be part of my starter issue. Hopefully the pic does it justice and you're able to see the slight warp, it's warped in a couple areas, any suggestions on this? Buy a new fly wheel?

You can see how tight the fly wheel is against the metal on the top of the pic and how it has slight seperartion starting halfway down.
    Last edited by tucker298; 09-19-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be surprised if the flywheel is warped/bent. More likely the issue is with the ring gear that is mounted to the flywheel. I would put a dial indicator on the flywheel with it mounted on the engine and see if there is any runout. If not, then the ring gear not being perfectly flat really should not make for any significant problems.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Random question, I wonder if those bolts holding the ring gear are all equally torqued too, do you know the torque specs for those bolts? Couldn't find anything on the googles.
    Last edited by tucker298; 09-22-2016 at 10:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the adapters/flywheels sold with the kits come from Kennedy Engineered Products. You might want to give them a call?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE. She's back together! Starts up and idles with 50lbs of oil pressure. What a relief! Taking this step back allowed me to find out I had a loose rocker, a seized up AC compressor (bought a new one) and a bad starter (bought a new one). The new starter works great. I have a few things to button up tomorrow but I'm back on track and in a better position for taking a step back. Not that I really had a choice lol with 5 pounds of oil pressure you kinda have to but glad I did now.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/FknUv0_me6g

Quick video of the progress!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice that you have mufflers installed. Are they baffled? The exhaust note lends itself to a straight shot pipe.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done Brent.

We all go through our little trials. I know I did.

Hey since this is your first super car build a few minor mistakes are part of the process.

The pay off when you drive it for the first time even as a go kart is so much fun hard to explain.

Looking forward to seeing that video!

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Love it Brent!

Keep it up man...

-Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately I'll have to leave her like this for a little bit, I was hoping to have the body on before I deployed but pulling the motor put me behind schedule. So I'll have to wait until I get back stateside for that. I'll still have internet so I'll be lurking around the forum. This will give the Stig some time to get Pandora just right for my visit when I get back lol and for Aceflo to finish his honey-do list!

Post Thanks / Like
    so random question but who knows maybe it'll work, awhile ago Factory Five had a blow out sale on carbon fiber rockers and splitters. They sold out quick! I'm hoping some ordered some up as extra's or have changed their mind about them since then are tired of seeing them in there garage. If so, i would love to buy them from you! PM me if you want to sell them, thanks!

car update.... as i'm getting closer to coming home, I'm trying to stock the garage for my return. I'm in the middle of ordering the LCD gauges from Tino, very excited about that upgrade.

Hopefully i can find a friend to grab my wheels and power coat them black for me.

I really like those taillights from MTS customs, hopefully we'll get some updates on those before i get back

this is a LONG ways away but i have the iPad running the car via infinity box and will get a iPad dash kit from soundmanca. i wanted to run the audio from the iPad as well obviously, i was looking at the different wiring solutions to go from iPad to amp when i ran across a new amp from JBL that has bluetooth built into the amp! perfect, I'm thinking that a pretty niche market but hopefully its a good one and more options come out by the time i get to that point

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker298 View Post
    so random question but who knows maybe it'll work, awhile ago Factory Five had a blow out sale on carbon fiber rockers and splitters. They sold out quick! I'm hoping some ordered some up as extra's or have changed their mind about them since then are tired of seeing them in there garage. If so, i would love to buy them from you! PM me if you want to sell them, thanks!
    Good morning Sir. I happen to have an extra set of rocker extensions and a splitter. But the splitter is for a Gen 1 nose. If these will work, you can have them for the price of shipping. I got them pretty cheap from the Factory Five Open House clearance sale 3 or 4 years back. I have no idea what it would cost to ship since they're big and weigh nothing. (Bad combo for shipping costs).

Let me know.

Stay Safe!

Mike

Correction: I asked my wife to double check in my garage, to make sure that I have the rockers. She sent a picture, but I can't tell 100% that what I am seeing is the rocker extensions. I will be home tonight, and will check again, and let you know. But I do have the Gen 1 splitter.

I also noticed that Factory Five has a set of rockers listed in their "Attic Sale" section for $100.00. I can't remember what they charged for shipping.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-12-2017 at 09:43 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike I think I just found a reason to beeline it to charlotte when I get back! And I'll pay you whatever you paid for them. I'm saving money either way so that's a win win. You gotta love this forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok let me check their website real quick, if I remember right I ordered them awhile back and they were out of them and just didn't remove them from the website

EDIT yeah I just checked and when you try to order them it says out of stock
    Last edited by tucker298; 01-12-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike I think I just found a reason to beeline it to charlotte when I get back! And I'll pay you whatever you paid for them. I'm saving money either way so that's a win win. You gotta love this forum!
    Hi Buddy. I just got in, and double checked the storage shelf in my garage, and I do have the rockers, and they're yours. However, the splitter that I have is for a Gen-1 GTM nose. I'm not sure if that will work for your car or not. The lower lip of the Gen-2 is shaped a little differently. I'll leave it up to you though. If you want it as well, it's yours. If not, there is another forum member here that would like have it.

All this time, they've been collecting dust: and now look... LOL.

Take care!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

That's great! So the splitter won't work of course but I'm halfway there with the rockers, thanks! I'll pick them up in March!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good. Looking forward to meeting you. I should have Pandora back at home when you get here.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBO_YndW2cU

So maybe I just have too much time on my hands but I think the basis of this idea is really cool. Especially with our cars and the engine being visible. With the car sitting there, it would look like a normal intake but when you start it up the design will show through on the intake once it starts to warm up. I'm thinking a subtle black and gray American flag waving. Anyway take a look and get some creative juices flowing. He also has some really good tips about painting using spray cans of all things. Watch a couple of his related videos and you'll see how professional of a job a spray can is able to do with the right technique and knowing the right type of spray paint to get.

Post Thanks / Like
    So with a little down time I've been trying to learn as much as I can about body work via youtube. Also been buying a few parts as I said earlier. I came across these valve covers and they get rid of the coil pack bracket and really cleans up the engine bay. Was thinking about doing a hydro dipped intake and valve covers so I didn't want those coil pack covers covering them up.
    Last edited by tucker298; 01-27-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You always gotta get that approval from the little guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tino has the tablet I sent him and is working on it now! going through the process of him putting the features that i want for my particular set up. I went with this gauge setup although I really like the simplicity of the Aventador gauge layout he has although I don't think that skin is as detailed as this "Audi" skin. Feel free to chime in Tino if I'm wrong. I can only imagine all the work that goes into making the gauges look real. He might not even be done putting all the details into the Aventador skin, if not then I hope its easy to change the default skin because I'll be switching back and forth often lol. I have to say he couldn't be any easier to work with which is what I need when I'm half a world away. Can't wait for this to be in my garage waiting on me when I get home. This will be the first thing I do when I get home to my car. I already ordered a new gauge plate from Factory Five. Just need to button up a few things when I get home so I can move onto the easy part..... the body! lol

This is the start up screen
    Last edited by tucker298; 01-28-2017 at 06:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If this is the layout that he's putting together for you, it's going to look awesome.
    It fits the look that the GTM calls for.

Nice choice!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that is amazing. Looks OEM if not better.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Brent, thank you for the kind comments. I'm looking forward to packaging this kit for you and working together to merge it work with your
    existing setup.

To address your questions:

I really like the simplicity of the Aventador gauge layout he has although I don't think that skin is as detailed as this "Audi" skin. Feel free to chime in Tino if I'm wrong.
    It's difficult to explain the differences between these skins and how it all comes together. The Audi skin is a high resolution image set as a "background" (like a desktop photo on your computer screen). The gauge needles are floating on top of the image and that's why it appears more detailed.

The Aventador gauge was literally programmed step by step, so it's basically lines of code as opposed to a photo. Coincidentally, I'll be updating that layout as it's a very
    popular choice.

Both of the skins do the same thing; they display all the same data so you can flip between either setup and receive similar information.

I tried to use a high-resolution photo of an Aventador gauge, but the editing that was required make it look "Jagged" around the edges.
    There is still a bit of work to be done with the Aventador setup, but it takes days of steady editing to get a finished product. The trouble
    is, I'm getting about 2 hours a day (if I'm lucky) toward evolving this monster project.

I'm always looking for more images to replicate like the La Ferrari, Ford GT, and other high end super cars. There will be more skins
    coming that's for sure!

It's very easy to change screens - just as easy as closing one program and opening another.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Out of interest, your gauge skin started out as a photo like this:
    audi_s8_gauge-cluster_12.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    its so crazy to me how all of this gets done, we are lucky to have you on our side! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Brent,

I know you wanted the Aventador gauge, so here's a little surprise. There is still a bit of work to be done, but I wanted to get this out there
    for you! This knocks the competitor's version out of the park!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!!! That looks amazing!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Tino, I now must retract my prior statement about that gauge, now I'm torn! Lol I like them both! I love he idea of switching gauges to change things up inside. How difficult is it to switch skins? As in the process once the tablet is installed? And I'm assuming the yellow car in the corner can be omitted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, it would be cool to have a "Street Mode" and "Track Mode". For me, "Track Mode" would have a huge central rev counter, plus a big number in the middle of the tach that is the highest gear you can downshift to at your current speed to help with downshifts. Say you're coming into a turn and braking hard from 4th gear, but are unsure if you can only go down to 3rd, or can safely drop to 2nd. I'd make it a little conservative, ie if your redline is 6500, make the algorithm for 5800 or so.

Of course he can change or delete the car icon! Probably has it set up to show which doors are ajar.

This product is really getting good, if I don't blow my budget I will certainly be looking to purchase!
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great job Tino, I now must retract my prior statement about that gauge, now I'm torn! Lol I like them both! I love he idea of switching gauges to change things up inside.
    How difficult is it to switch skins? As in the process once the tablet is installed?
    With your setup, you will need to use the touch screen to move the Aventador.exe into the "STARTUP" folder, and move the AUDI-H.exe file to the DESKTOP (or other folder).

With the Advanced version, you get a wireless keyboard which makes navigation a bit easier. Both are relatively the same process however.

And I'm assuming the yellow car in the corner can be omitted?
    Yes, that is a placeholder for the DOOR/HOOD/HATCH Open indicator. Since you don't have the door sensors, that image will not show up.

If there's something from the AUDI gauge that you like, I can try to integrate it with another skin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Yeah, it would be cool to have a "Street Mode" and "Track Mode". For me, "Track Mode" would have a huge central rev counter, plus a big number in the middle of the tach that is the highest gear you can downshift to at your current speed to help with downshifts. Say you're coming into a turn and braking hard from 4th gear, but are unsure if you can only go down to 3rd, or can safely drop to 2nd. I'd make it a little conservative, ie if your redline is 6500, make the algorithm for 5800 or so.
    I'll have to do a better job with my documentation and video. There is a track mode which can be selected via a sub menu. It brings up the Accelerometer and Numeric representations of the Speedometer. The internal SHIFT indicator can also be turned on/off.

Your idea about the gear range indicators is also something I'm working on. I was toying with the idea of having limit switches on the shift actuators to indicate the selected gear, but that eats up more inputs and processing power.
    The gear can be mathematically figure based on speed and RPM (as long as I know the gear ratios). It would simply display the calculated gear on the screen.

As for the downshift "limiter", that's a cool feature. It would have to be tailored to each setup and reaction time. It would be fairly easy to add a field in the configuration file to adjust the shift points and reaction time (or pad RPM) for each vehicle and driver.
    If you don't blow your budget, I'll write that in for you!

Of course he can change or delete the car icon! Probably has it set up to show which doors are ajar.
    That's correct. Anything on the screen can be turned on/off if you need a custom setup for your vehicle.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast