BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: So it begins.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm curious to find out why things work on this end and then stop working when they cross the border.

It must be that American air, or something? Maybe too far down South for electrons to move properly?

Quote Originally Posted by tucker298 View Post
    well as always its two steps forwards and one step back lol. We did finally get Tinos system working and talking with car and we both thought that we had gotten over the hump and it was downhill from here....... well the gauges aren't reading right but as always Tino has been with me all the way through this and I'll send the LCDi box back and he'll go over it with a fine tooth comb and I'm certain were close to figuring this system out. I wanted THREE things from this build, iPad controlled car(got it), LS3 power plant (got it) and modern gauges that are on par with the rest of the car (working on it). Having these gauges is costing me time and I get a little frustrated with it but I really think it'll be worth it when its all said and done. Soon give me a few weeks to send back the unit and for Tino to work his magic and get it back to me. Unfortunately, with Tino being in Canada it slows down the turn around time because of customs but as always theres plenty of other things to do while I wait.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    I can assure you things move slower here in NC than other places lol but we'll get it figured out!

Post Thanks / Like
    ok random AC duct question time, sorry if this has been addressed somewhere but I haven't seem it and I didn't see it in the manual but I only did a real quick search:

1. What do you use to secure the AC ducts to the AC unit itself? I saw wallace use some SS screws and just screwed them to the plastic sleeve coming out of the AC unit and I'd imagine he applied some type of epoxy as well?
    2. I've seen in other builds guys cut a hole in the sheet metal above the AC unit for the ducting, any words of advice for this? size, what to use to protect the cut metal from cutting the ducting?
    3. I don't know why but I'm reluctant to rivet in that large panel in case I need to get into the AC unit for any repairs but I feel that way about the tunnel too lol. Is there any reason NOT to rivet that large sheet metal piece that tops off the front of the interior?

Post Thanks / Like
    just saw the AC portion of Jamesfr58 thread and it answered a lot of my questions but if anyone has anything else to ad i'd love to hear it!

Post Thanks / Like
    1. We use cable ties.....have to make sure the hose is fully over the flange and then make sure the cable tie is below the barbs that hold the hose on and tighten the cable tie as tight as possible.
    2. You have to seal each hose up so that you have zero air that can flow from the tunnel into the cockpit or you will have massive heat flowing into the cockpit. Yes, we cut individual holes for each vent hose. I just sand the edges of the holes with sand paper to smooth them out so they don't cut the hose.
    3. I would not recommend riveting that top tunnel panel in place until right before you're ready to install the body for the final time. You lose access to pretty much everything under the dash once that panel is on......get all of your wiring, duct-work, suede and carpet installation, brake/clutch pedal adjustment, etc done before you rivet that panel on.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you have a nice build underway, like seeing what other come up with and everyone here tosses around ideas and something good usually come out of the discussion. I have to give credit to Shane (VRaptor) on the A/.C ducts, he was the one you warned me about making sure the ducts seal off so no air from the tunnel can enter the cockpit area because even I did it wrong the first time. It is educational and informative reading the others post and finding out where to get the after market parts that improve the quality and performance of our projects. Will check in from time to time to see how it goes !!

Post Thanks / Like
    as always thanks for the reply Shane! that AC ducting sheet metal with the holes...….. sounds like another part you could sell? it wouldn't have to be the whole size of the sheet metal just a section that can be cut out and overlapped onto the actual large sheet metal piece and then riveted/epoxied together!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey James! I completely agree with what you said, I couldn't have taken on this build without the members of this forum! Sorry I've been away from the forum for so long, It looks like I'll have some more time to get out there in the garage and get some much needed updates to my thread and help build this GTM library for future builders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker298 View Post
    as always thanks for the reply Shane! that AC ducting sheet metal with the holes...….. sounds like another part you could sell? it wouldn't have to be the whole size of the sheet metal just a section that can be cut out and overlapped onto the actual large sheet metal piece and then riveted/epoxied together!
    I've actually already sold quite a few of these....without being listed on my website. Just took care of that:

AC/Heat Vent Hose Patch/Seal Panel – $19

http://vraptorspeedworks.com/acheat-...tchseal-panel/
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s awesome Shane, I already ordered it! Lol
    Last edited by tucker298; 01-01-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So to be honest I was getting really frustrated with the car. Things weren't progressing the way I wanted them to. I don't have a timeline per say on the car but I need to be moving forward at least lol. Heres a list of small things that were adding up to become an issue and made me start to question the cars progress and start to ask myself if this is still the right project car for me.

1.endless belt squeal, changed a few pulleys and changed belts but it always came back
    2. The WIFI module in my car seemed to have erased its parameters
    3. alignment issue of not enough caster
    4. can't get my digital gauges to work after a lot of time and effort
    5. rim hits A-arm if turned too far
    6. Driver door not shutting just right
    7. hard time finding time/losing interest

The alignment issue that I had brought up earlier where something was off, the passenger front tire measured a half inch shorter than the driver side and putting the tire not centered in the passenger front wheel well. Also I had a strange issue where the driver side inside rim would actually hit the A-arm if you turned it all the way left. So those have been an issue for months now and I'll address these first. Well I was finally able to get a trailer and my friend with the alignment machine to be free on the same day. Towed it back to this shop an hour away in the rain and put it back on the machine we did what shane said about finding caster first and then get the camber numbers and things lined up MUCH better also allowed us to adjust the tie rod so the rim doesn't hit the A arm any more. We were able to initially get 7 degrees of caster which was way too much and pushed both tires to the front of the wheel well. So I used a life line and called Shane and we decided that 4 degrees would be enough. We pulled the caster back to 4 degrees and the tires centered up in the wheel wells for the most part. The passenger side at least measures the same as the driver now but its still not centered in the wheel well, yes I know the hood is on straight I went through a painful and long laser line process to make sure it was. So we'll have to do some body work to make the tire centered but I didn't want to do that until I knew I wasn't just covering up a mechanical problem.

On the way to get the alignment re done I didn't do a good enough job of waterproofing the car i.e. I forgot to put the cover on the power cell in the back the car to waterproof it, I started have electrical issues, fans pulsing, starting not working etc. we tool apart the power cell and blew it out with compressed air and the car at least started and got it on the lift for the alignment machine but when I came back a few days later to pick it up (the rain finally stopped) it didn't want to start again. Soooooo it was now a chore to get a car that doesn't run on and off a trailer. I can make this a lot longer but below is the list of things that almost crushed me again and what happened.

1.endless belt squeal, changed a few pulleys and changed belts but it always came back- found a small coolant leak on the coupler connecting to the water pump, found out that coolant on a belt makes a HORRIBLE squeal and nothing gets rid of it that I know of other than replacing the belt, tightened the clamp, added another clamp and new belt and no more squeaks! nothing is more embarrassing then showing off the car with loud belt squeal!
    2. The WIFI module in my car seemed to have erased its parameters- still not sure why that happened but infinity box sent my config files and reloaded it onto the box, took all of about 5 min
    3. alignment issue of not enough caster, finally got it back to the shop and aligned it in the right order and fixed it!
    4. can't get my digital gauges to work after a lot of time and effort, Tino sent me an updated just today with positive news and I think he figured it out
    5. rim hits A-arm if turned too far, fixed during alignment
    6. Driver door not shutting just right- got off my lazy but and fixed it!
    7. Starter issues, Jay at infinity box saved me from spending hundreds on a replacement cell and trouble shot it and fixed it and works fine!
    8. Might be a power drain on electrical- need to look into this!
    9. hard time finding time/losing interest.alot of the little issues got resolved with just some focus and some got fixed with enough time and patience, but after all the little things got fixed a quick go kart ride around the neighbor hood and the motivation came rushing back!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron told me that this car is lady and that she is, Miss Adventure. She enjoys the chase, she likes the attention, she knows she's worth it and won't just come together for anyone. But like any good girl that enjoys the chase she knows if she plays hard to get for too long she might lose me and seemed to have thrown me a few bones to keep me in the game lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Brent,

Good to hear that you're working through the issues. Make a list. One thing at a time. Finish it, and move on. Before you know it you'll be done! Good luck, and keep up the work!

-Michael
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOLD JUNE 2018 - GTM #327, LS3, G50/20, Kooks, AC, Ron's Tanks, Crash's 4-port HCV, Shane's Bolts & Plenum & etc., plus a lot of other stuff. Finished November 2013.

Not-up-to-date Build Site: http://rumrunnergtm.weebly.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you are feeling better about the build. I've been burned out at times, I'm sure everyone has. There are a lot of abandoned builds, half completed builds that get sold. For me, when things get tough I just try to focus on getting one thing done. The build is intimidating, but really each step is not. Your build so far is top-notch, hang in there!
    How much camber did you manage to get with 4 caster? For a street car, I would agree with maximizing caster. Might not turn quite as fast but who cares.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    bee man, I took a pic of it the setting while he was wrapping it up, l'll post it shortly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Brent,

Glad to hear you are getting back on the horse so to speak. Life had gotten in my way over the last few weeks and haven't done much on my GTM other than think about it. Not to mention some unexpected expenses popping up on my boat, its a little discouraging. I do walk by it every time I go in and out of the house so its a friendly reminder that she wants my attention . I need to make a small list and knock those things out one by one to get the progress going again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately I have not been taking this advice, but force yourself out into the garage for an hour or two every night/day. You will end up doing SOMETHING positive, even if it is only going over stuff in your head or making a list. Do it. It will prove worth it.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Unfortunately I have not been taking this advice, but force yourself out into the garage for an hour or two every night/day. You will end up doing SOMETHING positive, even if it is only going over stuff in your head or making a list. Do it. It will prove worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
    Brent,

Good to hear that you're working through the issues. Make a list. One thing at a time. Finish it, and move on. Before you know it you'll be done! Good luck, and keep up the work!

-Michael
    Brent,

Great idea, do a list and remember:

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all."—Dale Carnegie

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."—Confucius

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."—Martin Luther King, Jr.

And Most of All Remember What Journey says:

Ron
    Last edited by Presto51; 01-15-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Brent I think we all have moments like this I know I have when its the third time of taking something apart and putting it back together just a little different trying to make it all work as it should. But like crash stated as time I just make myself go to the shop and then when something goes as planned it lifts my spirits and I get recharged to continue on to the next thing. It has been and great experience and on in which I can keep my engineering skills up a little and keeps me out of the house which sometime is a good thing. Good luck and hang in there it will all come together …….

Post Thanks / Like
    was gone for work for a bit and now i'm back trying to get Tino the info he needs for my gauges. I got the resistance number for him on all the sensors except....... my fuel gauge. That wire, which I'm getting my reading from is the one that runs from the gas tank all the way through the tunnel and ends at the computer module. Sooooo to get no reading must mean it is not connected to the sensor. My buddy who works on a lot of corvettes says those sensors are fairly common to go out and that I should've put a new one in to begin with. He also said its not uncommon to install them incorrectly to give a bad reading ( float stuck up or down or something I can't remember) Soooo I'll be dropping the passenger side tank and taking a look . Good news is I haven't put the panels back up and its easy to get to. 2 steps forward..... I step back lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If it was stuck up or down, you would still get a reading.

Try removing the harness and probing the pins inside the connector.

Sometimes the prongs will be loose or broken preventing continuity.

Check both sides of the connectors, and try to measure resistance on the fuel tank side of the connector before pulling out the tank.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Good news and in a way bad news at the same time. The GTM as we all know is quite the beast of an undertaking, it probably should be taken on by retired guys or single guys haha. I've just been pulled in a lot of different directions for what I thought was going to be a short time and now it just seems like with 4 kids and moving up in my job that this is just the new normal. My goal was always to do all the work myself or as at least take it as far as I possibly could. With Ron's help I've started the body work and have definitely made progress, I'll always be appreciative of this forum and members like Ron who will drive down from Maryland to NC to show a stranger the 101 of body work. We had some long but fun weekends and he gave me the ability to do so much more on the car's body than I've had time to do. I'm not on a time line per say BUT the timeline needs to have an end in sight. So I've gotten a bid from a local body shop and will have them finish out the body. Its bitter sweet because the cars timeline will be rapidly moved up but I wanted to do most of the body work. I know, I know, be careful of who you let work on the body of the GTM. I've read the horror stories and I know theres no guarantee that with all this guy says that he will be able to deliver. He has done several factory five cars but not a GTM, even though we all know theres no comparison but knowing the fact he's down fiberglass cars before makes me feel better. He came over to my house to look at it so he knows exactly what he's getting into. Wish me luck, I'll be posting updates every time I go see her. I'll be gone for a month and won't drop her off until I get back so it'll still by a little while but as soon as I get back I'll be dropping her off and he says he'll be waiting on me and my GTM will get a whole crew working on her until she's done and she'll never be a side project. He says the right things...... we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tucker-

I completely understand the whole life getting in the way issue. While I understand how it can be frustrating, frankly with a wife and four kids, I think it is expected! I admire your ability to keep plugging away in spite of the challenges that life keeps throwing at you! You have my respect brother.

Good luck with the body shop. I hope they exceed your expectations, and it turns out beautifully! Maybe the time that gets freed up by not having the body work to worry about, will allow you to get other things taken care of.

I will look forward to your updates.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    There's no shame in letting someone else do GTM bodywork!!!
    Keep us posted!
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    so i'm still alive and so is the project, we all knew the body shop wasn't going to keep its original time lol but lucky for them I'm not in a huge rush and they've been doing good work when they get around to it. They are a newer shop in our area and what would be worse than them going slow would be them not making it and closing so I've been patient with them and they've been good at communicating with me. They have a good problem which is very busy and just not enough people to keep up with it as well as finding the right people to work there. So as they work through all that as a new business I've been patient and in return they've been very appreciative. I'm just not the person to come in and be an Ahole and try to push things along by yelling or demanding things. They actually found a fairly large putty pocket in right at the lip of the wheel well that they might have missed had we moved to fast so its even had its up side. The pocket of putty started out as a pin hole that ended up being a big pocket of putty right behind a thin hard layer. At the end of the day I've waited years for this GTM and a few more months to see it painted wasn't going to kill me...... well it finally made its way into the booth!

26. Likes LCD Gauges liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will never know why this sight decides to put some of my pics randomly sideways

well after that black sealer cures they are going to put the base on then the shiny stuff! So it should be gloss black in a few days!!! I'll keep you guys updated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see you are getting closer! Looking forward to seeing pics of the finished paint!
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    So here’s an update that is a looong time coming. The paint and body shop took about a year and 11k to “finish” the job. I was out of the town when the body shop owner called me with bad news. The cars paint job turned out bad and his shop manager has been fired for mismanaging projects and lying to him. The owner isn’t a body guy himself and owns a couple different businesses so he isn’t there day to day. He told me he knows my car has been there too long and would like me to come in and look at it. He was right the paint job was horrible, pops in the clearcoat and what looked like dust particles in the clear coat too. The part of the body that wraps underneath the car wasn’t even painted.... it broke my heart to think I’ve waited this long for this product. He told me he has a trusted guy taking over the shop to make things right, he said he’ll have it sanded down and repainted and get the car to the state that was agreed upon ie not just painted but glass in, headlight buckets in and weather stripping. Basically leaving only the interior left. Well I had no other options, I had already paid for the job. I stressed that I’ve waited so long and I can wait longer but needed an actual timeline for this. They said 90 days! Well that was a year ago, they have repainted the car and it looks great from my perspective, they said they even fixed some of the issues from the last guy ie smoothed out some spots, worked a little more on the tail lights to make them look perfect. The new shop manager is super nice and does great work when he does get around to working on it. I get it, they are not making any more money on my car by working on it, they have to work on cars that keep the doors open. I’ve never been a jerk although some days I really want to be, but they don’t work on my car much now and they like me ..... pretty sure being a jerk won’t help. I wish more than anything I would’ve sent the car to Vraptor Speedworks. The only reason I didn’t was because Shane had a waiting list and the first guy said he’d have it done in a matter of months. This has put a strain on my marriage at times, it’s added stress to an already stressful job I have. It’s been tough to say the least. I was getting ready to sell it a couple of weeks ago when they finally wet sanded and polished the paint job ...... and it looked so good I couldn’t bring myself to sell it. That being said if someone sees these pics and wants to make an offer I’d have to consider it lol. Maybe there’s light at the end of this tunnel after all, they get a few things done every week but at this rate it’ll still be months before they are done with the rest of the list ie weather stripping, inserts, tow hook, the brakes need attention and I have a bad electrical drain which my infinity box inReserve should at least keep from allowing the battery to completely drain but it doesn’t. Soooo that’s the update. I’ll keep you posted as things progress.

30. Likes DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pics

32. Likes DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks amazing, your patience will pay off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m sure someone has solved this or can give me some advice, the tubes that connect the gas tanks to the gas caps, the ends are flared on the end and I believe the manual says go cut that flare off but when I did the hose is too short?! Has anyone else had this problem or use a different hose to connect this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on what tanks you have, sometimes the flare fits and sometimes you have to trim it back to the point where you can get a clamp on the smaller part of the hose to get it clamped to the neck on the tank.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    With my tanks I had to cut the flared end but that made the tube too short. I added in a 2" coupler to make up the distance. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Inch-Hose...72.m2749.l2649

Post Thanks / Like
    Body and paint can be such a nightmare. Every time I have to have someone else do body and/or paint work it takes a long time and everything is always, ALWAYS done incorrectly. I thought maybe that's why the more expensive shops charge more, but NO. They screw things up just as bad, if not worse, than the cheap places. I guess all the chemicals get to those people or I am just "lucky". I even got to the point where I thought maybe it was "me". But no, the last job was my wife's car that was taken to a shop without me being involved and insurance paid for it. A blown tire took out a bunch of stuff. $7,000 later and the vehicle is all screwed up. I thought the paint work was at least done properly, and it was just that an idiot put the car back together, but yesterday I noticed something coming up through the paint and clearcoat! UGH! I hear that guy "Da Bat" does some good work? If true, I would track him down as finding a good paint and body guy is near impossible.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow those tail lights look killer - - Great job on those !!

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a really good guy from the forum give me that idea and even donated some time to making it a reality.... can’t remember his name though ��. I know I’m biased but I think those tail lights are as good as they get on these cars, I couldn’t be any happier with the way they turned out!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011