FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So it begins.......

Post Thanks / Like
    HAHA, little man says let me try Pop! Love that picture.

I've enjoyed following your work so far, and I have serious garage envy!

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a heads up... I don't seem to be able to see the MAF sensor in the finished pictures? Is that because it is on the bottom side of the intake tube?

If I am not mistaken, the instructions say to put the sensor in the upper half of the tube diameter. Probably just a technical detail for moisture or something, but I do believe it is the called for installation position. You might want to double check the instructions.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    So I went into the garage all fired up to make some progress on the car annnnd I left the garage about four hours later with more problems then I came in with! No progress was made and I wasn't really happy about my decision to build my own super car lol why didn't I just hit the easy button and buy a C7!? I'd be driving it right now with the top off and the radio blaring......but I apparently enjoy the pain. So here's what happened

1. I tried to find a good place to mount the header tank, but couldn't find a place that I wanted..... I think the brass connectors are too bulky I'll see what's out there to fix that but I would say that one of my many weaknesses is my knowledge of various automotive connectors.

*update* so when I went out to take a picture today of the connectors a new configuration hit me, if I can get them to both come into the same side on not from the bottom it will help.... We'll see

2. So i put that to the side and figured I'd get around to routing the rest of my engine harness wiring up the tunnel and connect the sensor on the gas pedal and get the ODB sensor routed up front as well, only to find out that speartech wasn't even close with the length they gave me! Short about two feet! And I already had to extend the alternator sensor, so I called them and they are sending me extenders for those two connectors, not ideal because I'd feel like when you spend that much money on a custom harness that you shouldn't need to piece together extenders to make it work, I know people can move around things on the GTM so it can be hard to know how long to make every single wire BUT the computer has a designated place and the throttle pedal sensor and ODB connector will always be in the driver foot well. Well they are fixing it so I will say I'm satisfied and will move onto all the other issues with my build

3. Then I decided "well I'm going to get something done! What does the manuel say I need to do next?" And that would be the battery tray. Great! That's easy enough! After an hour of sifting through all the sheet metal pieces and all the boxes to ensure its not somewhere it shouldn't be, I had to accept that I don't have it. Called factory five and just told them I couldn't find it and it was probably my fault. I offered to buy the piece, they are sending it to me free of charge! Now I know it's a cheap piece but the kind gesture was what I needed after a frustrating morning with the car

4. Sooo I decided to at least look at relocating my AC accumulator, where I want to put it will require some fabbed up connectors...... Ofcourse. This is where it wants to be but I'd like it over to one side. Where have other people put this?

5. Finally, I started to look at the fuel tanks, I set them in place and mocked up the fire wall and the top pice that holds the rear window has notches for the top tubes of the body frame ....well my notches aren't spaced right so I'll have to carve that out so it will sit flush against the frame sigh as that point I closed the garage door and walked away

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there Brent! Remember, issues like these are the reason people appreciate seeing custom cars.
    If building GTMs was easy, then there would be a lot of them out there. Our cars are pretty damn unique with every build, because the owners are engineering the solutions to each little problem.

Now back to work!!!

I expect to see that firewall fixed by Monday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tucker.

Your build is looking great.

Regarding your question on the AC accumulator.

That's the spot you should mount it. I went a little overboard with my mounting solution but I think that's what makes these builds fun.

I used the corvette accumulator bracket. Next I made a bracket to weld to the frame.

Here is the bracket welded to the frame.

And here it is installed.

Hopefully that's helpful. Oh and PS all the work to build your own car is well worth it.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    The last picture is what it is all about! What until he is 6 or 7 and see the look on his face. Having the dad with the coolest car is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    5. Finally, I started to look at the fuel tanks, I set them in place and mocked up the fire wall and the top pice that holds the rear window has notches for the top tubes of the body frame ....well my notches aren't spaced right so I'll have to carve that out so it will sit flush against the frame sigh as that point I closed the garage door and walked away

You probably need to sit your body onto the chassis to see where the cage bars run in relation to the roof line.
    A few builders, (myself included) had to move one or both bars to get the correct clearance between the bars and the body.
    The installation and welding of those two bars is a manual one without the use of a set welding jig at the factory.
    The reason why I am raising this as a possibility is that the window bulkhead is CNC laser cut so there will not be any variation from piece to piece and that item, from the ones that I have seen fits better then in your photo.
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    Fraser D,

Thanks for the insight on that! From what you said that makes sense as to how it could happen....... It just shouldn't lol

And update with the speartech harness, they fabbed up the 2 extensions that I needed and shipped it to me FAST, so thank you to speartech

Getting to work on the fuel system now, cutting the tanks for the crossover tube and waiting on my lingenfelter internal pump to arrive, I really wish I had a part store with a full line of AN fittings that I can just grab off the shelf and see if it works BUT I don't see I'll be ordering some parts and hoping they work, for instance I need to connect the fuel filter to the rail, but the angle is too steep for just a fuel line to connect it because the line kinks so I'll try some angled AN fittings

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I did. They are both 3/8". The parts are a Russell 3/8" EFI 6AN Hose End, 6AN stainless braided hose, normal 6AN Hose End, and a Male EFI to Male 6AN adapter. You can also run the same Russell EFI fitting on the other side of the filter and into and out of the sending unit. The return is the outer one on the other side, and is 3/8" as well, but the inlet to the filter is 5/16". Both the output and the return are 3/8" on the sending unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    MTS customs thanks a lot for the photos! Your filter is set back just a little more than mine is and I think that's keeping yours from kinking but I did finally find the AN fitting I needed to make it work.....I think lol hopefully all those parts and my fuel pump will come in this week so I can wrap up the fuel system next weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like you may have the "new and improved" fuel adapter fittings, but I can't really tell from the pictures. If the fuel rail fitting does not have a screw in part that makes it impossible for the fitting to pop off the rail...THROW THAT AWAY AND GET THE NEW DESIGN ONE. Trust me, tens of thousands of dollars of potential damages is just not worth it.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll check that out for sure! Thanks for the heads up and PLEASE keep checking on my updates to be a more experienced set of eyes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    x2 on checking the rollcage making contact with the body. Many people have had to cut the rollcage halo off and redo because of the contact with the body. On my kit the firewall didn't fit the tubing just like yours. My body, when sitting on the frame in the door jamb made contact with halo on top. Any stress on the body after paint can cause spider cracks in the gelcoat over time. (And NO, it shouldn't come like this for 25k)
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 01-28-2016 at 09:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got the lingenfelter in tank fuel pump done and got the crossover fitting drilled in, I have 01 fuel tanks, glad I didn't have 03-04 they seemed like a lot more work according to the manual. I get that with the driver side (GTM driver side) tank it only has two lines coming out of the bottom and they just get looped to each other, essentially cancelling them out, but the manual doesn't address what to do with all of the lines on top of the fuel tank.

Also, the fuel filter has two outlets, an 8mm and a 10 mm. The 8mm connects to the only 8mm on the passenger tank, that's easy enough, but there are two open 10mm lines left at the bottom of the tank, which 10mm line does the fuel filter line connect to AND what do I do with the other 10mm line that's left?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you have already drilled the drivers tank, but do yourself a favor and call Shane and get a kit to block off where the sending unit goes, and he will also set you up with the proper gaskets to seal the bulkhead.

Cap off every single port on the tops of the tanks except for the one exiting directly above where you will be attaching the filler necks. Use that on with a short piece of rubber hose as a vent, 1 on each side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I'm so jealous of how awesome your garage came out! Congrats your build looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks alaaelsheikh!

and mtscustoms, I did order the crossover kit from Shane but I'm not a smart man and I drilled the wrong side gas tank so I couldn't use the block off plate he sent me, but I did use all the washers that came with the kit. Did I put them on in the wrong order? From the inside of the tank out I have the threaded black nut pushing on the all metal washer which is pushing on the rubber washer that is against the fuel tank and then on the outside of the tank I have that hybrid washer that is metal on the outside and rubber on the inside circle that is against the outside of the fuel tank being secured by the threaded black nut.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally had a great day in the garage! Got a lot of stuff done, the fuel system is buttoned up with all the unused ports blocked off, got the fuel tanks installed and the shifter installed.

Had a hard time finding any good pics of this bracket installed for the cable shifter and the instructions are the worst!!!

I had no idea what I was doing lol but luckily it really wasn't that complicated, so for everyone coming behind me here are some pics, it really only goes together one way so if you see a good pic that's all you really need and hopefully this saves you some frustration.

The instructions don't even mention this piece so a call to rum runner was needed to clear it up, the pic isn't the best but you can see that it's a stabilizer and you just drill two holes into the transaxle fin where it wants to rest and it really shores it up on the left and right movements

I used the back bracket of Shane's kit to hold the shifter and instead of welding up the front bracket I saw someone else post a pic of using a one inch bar and just riveting it on and that seemed too easy to pass

Post Thanks / Like
    Also got the plates that hold the fuel tanks riv nut in. I wasnt sure of the tanks just resting in there without a bracket but they are surprisingly firm. Still might make a bracket though.

Also finally got around to installing the battery tray and battery and wow is that a tight fit......like everything else.

Need to rethink how I have the heater core lines coming through the tunnel, they are really close to the battery, the metal tubes connecting the rubber lines to the vintage air could be shorter to give some relief in that area, I'll put that on the long list of small things to figure out

BUT I'm getting very close to needing my infinity box system to come in! I don't want to be waiting on it to come in and have it hold up progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sooooo I finally turned my attention to the exhaust and I found out I have one last LS3 issue....the ls3 exhaust manifold is different in several ways and doesn't mate up to the factory five cat pipe, the factory five cat pipe has a three bolt flange and the ls3 manifold is a two bolt flange.

Easy enough fix right? Just order up an ls3 2 bolt collar and weld it up ..... Well not so fast, the ls3 exhaust manifolds "collector " is much farther back than the ls1 manifold, and it empties al it's straight down and the ls1 empties more at a 45 degree angle

Here's the ls3 exhaust manifold

I don't really want to drop 2k on the kooks exhaust, I really thought I could just fab a 180 degree 2.5 pipe to come back up from that ls3 manifold and come back over the axle to mate up with cats..... But ofcourse everything is so tight, the suspension bolt holding the lower a arm is only 4 inches away from the manifold and it's not enough space to fit a U pipe, sooo I did find these ctsv manifold which have a much shorter neck and a 45 degree exit so I think I can work with them, and only 60$ on ls1 tech classifieds.

Hopefully this works with a minimal amount of fabricating

Post Thanks / Like
    Also the H pipe mounting hardware uses the same bolt off the transmission that the cable shifter bracket uses, and there's not enough room on that bolt for both the bracket and the exhaust mount, any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker298 View Post
    Also the H pipe mounting hardware uses the same bolt off the transmission that the cable shifter bracket uses, and there's not enough room on that bolt for both the bracket and the exhaust mount, any ideas?
    Longer bolt

Post Thanks / Like
    You should look around some more. Those "LS3" manifolds that you show are much different from the LS3 crate engine manifolds that we have been using. The difference is that the ones we have are center dump, which means it gives you a lot more room to work with because the manifold exit is much further forward. I would check ebay for LS3 manifolds. The last time I got a pair for $50 shipped.

EDIT: It looks like you have the Camaro style, and these are the Corvette and crate engine style...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2013-Ch...9Ww5EB&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by crash; 02-18-2016 at 11:00 AM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash, thanks ALOT!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkwd1 View Post
    The last picture is what it is all about! What until he is 6 or 7 and see the look on his face. Having the dad with the coolest car is awesome.
    LOL.

My Grandson was over a while back, when I had Pandora in MY garage. We started her up so he could hear her run. His eyes opened up a little. Then I blipped the throttle a couple of times and got the RPMs up, and got the Kooks exhaust singing. That seemed to light him the rest of the way up, and out came that car-guy smile.

When I shut her down, he said to me, "If you would pick me up from school in this car, I'd be the most popular guy there!"

So, if she's ever finished, I plan to pick him up and take him for a ride around Charlotte before he has to go to Baseball practice.

It should be fun.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember back in the 80's my dad picked me up from school in his convertible Porsche, I was the coolest kid in school for days! If you drop him off at school or practice it will be something he'll never forget. Memories like those that have muscle car ties might even be the reason he wants to wrench n his own car one day!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm trying to wrap my head around the wiring in preparation for the infinity box getting here. I pulled out the fuel tank harness and couldn't figure out what exactly I needed from it, I'm not using the evap part and I believe the drivers side fuel level sender is not needed, so that only leaves one plug from the harness to be used, the plug for the passenger side which powers the fuel pump and gives the input for the fuel level.

The harness I got from speartech has a relay and a grey wire labeled "fuel pump" to power it so I'll splice that right into that plug

but what does fuel level (blue wire) get spliced into? Directly to the fuel gauge? If I'm way off on this someone please chime in.

And as far as the speed sensor goes, since I'm not using ABS can I just plug that sensor right into the ABS sensor on the rear break?
    Last edited by tucker298; 02-22-2016 at 09:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know theres been a lack of updates from me but there's been a lack in progress! I did swap out the "Camaro" exhaust manifolds that came with the crate motor and put on the corvette ls3 manifolds, the Camaro ones were NOT going to work

Looking at the exhaust, will still need to fab up the section between the manifolds and the H pipe but it won't take too much, will swap out the cats for mini bullet race mufflers to cut down on the heat a little, cats do get ridiculously hot, this will just get me through the first couple of starts with the engine, I'll then put a second but longer borla bullet muffler at the end of the h pipe, that will hopefully quiet the exhaust down a little without too much restriction, we'll see how that experiment goes.

I did figure out where to mount the H pipe exhaust bracket, most people seem to have the kooks with the cable shifter BUT if you don't want to drop another couple of grand on the exhaust like me then you'll find out that the same bolt that the exhaust bracket uses is being used by the shifter cable bracket on that side, so I drilled a hole in the cable bracket, easy fix!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been waiting two months on my infinity box smart wiring system. They told me it would take two weeks when I ordered it. So I finally emailed them since I hadn't heard anything from them. I'm not a rude person but my email was up front, Jay from infinity box promptly replied and gave me a very detailed reason for the delay and an over all sense of how their business is going. It was a long email and the time he took to explain was appreciated. My kit was going to be shipped this week so I told him to add to the order the environment control and the alarm key fob, he gave me a great discount on those two items to further apologize for the delay. I must say they made up for it and I'm a happy customer. Even got the tracking number today so I know he was correct about it shipping this week. Thanks infinity box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still waiting on some exhaust parts and a few pieces from infinity box so I took some time this weekend to bed liner up my front fender wells, the previous owner installed them bare unfortunately, thought I would have to take the front suspension off but was able to tape around it.

Also sprayed the coolant over flow delete panel that I got from Shane, was easy to bend correctly, I would put this as a must have if you do away with the turtle

Next weekend I should be wiring up the car!

Post Thanks / Like
    So I'm getting ready for the wiring still, waiting on the rest of my electrical components from infinity box, should be here any day now, so I ripped out the the painless wiring that was about 80% wired up from the original owner, you might ask yourself why I didn't just finish the painless wiring and save all that time and money? Well I really had two things on my "have to have super car list" which was an LS3 powered car controlled wirelessly by an iPad, or smart phone. So out with the old

It's just as well really, the wiring wasn't really done to my standards and I probably would've redone it anyway

Im excited about getting started with the infinity box system as opposed to feeling less than motivated to tackle the traditional wiring setup
    Last edited by tucker298; 03-08-2016 at 06:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So i finally figured out a way to and where to mount my coolant can from crash, until now I just had it zip tied to my frame. Heres a few pics to show the process just using an angled aluminum piece and a flat sheet of aluminum

Trace the can and cut that piece

Find out the angle the angled pieces need to be riveted on the keep the can level

Cut and attach angled pieces

Coat with bed liner to match rest of engine bay just in case

And done

Post Thanks / Like
    Just tried calling ....

I think you'll find with the tank mounted in that location that once the body is on it will not be possible to see into the tank to check coolant level, and nearly impossible to fill. I could be wrong, but worth checking. I know in my car I wouldn't be able to access that area easily, and I check my coolant level all the time.

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going over your pictures of the MAF sensor, Question: why did you have to cut it in when one is made for your set up?
    IMG_2707.JPG
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
    Just tried calling ....

I think you'll find with the tank mounted in that location that once the body is on it will not be possible to see into the tank to check coolant level, and nearly impossible to fill. I could be wrong, but worth checking. I know in my car I wouldn't be able to access that area easily, and I check my coolant level all the time.

-Michael
    So I took another look and maybe you'll be ok. When you open the hatch wide the leading edge of the hatch moves toward the rear of the car, leaving a gap between the body and the hatch. You might get lucky and be able to see the fluid level and fill the tank through there.

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Edgeman! I go to your build sight often for ideas so thanks for that gift to the community.

I cut out the MAF sensor connector from the tube that speartech sent me with the harness, it was an unpolished tube, and I ordered those exact part numbers that I got from another thread, I didn't even look to see if they made a tube like that. That's news to me lol. So I just made due with the parts I had copied from that thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.spectreperformance.com/se...aspx?prod=9705
    4" MAF sensor adapter kit from spectre.
    For anyone that maybe doing the same set up. No cutting.
    GTM #370
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    JEGS has all the Spectre parts. MAF is $ 31.99
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/97...ductId=2380512

They have a kit if you want to tie the valve covers and other vents in to the intake tubes.
    Remember that the MAF is calibrated to have these routed in to the intake. All for the emission's and if your state requires this.
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/87...ductId=3596320

I did not do this but when I talked to Shaun with SMC he did recommend having these tied in to the intake. Run through a catch can first then up to the intake.
    Last edited by Edgeman; 03-14-2016 at 02:09 PM.
    GTM #370
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    So I've been super busy lately and the car has been on the back burner

As far as the car goes infinity box finally sent me all the parts to my system, took almost 3 months! And just in time for me to get the yard ready for spring and have surgery on my arm Friday, finally getting a plate removed that's bothered me since they put it in! So I'm excited about that. I still really want to hit my goal of firing up the beast next month! One of my mechanic friends is coming up to help me with the car post surgery, thankfully the heavy lifting is done for now so I should be able to make some progress during my two weeks of leave post surgery.

This update was mostly for rum runner, he probably thinks something is wrong if I'm not calling him every weekend with my latest road block on the build lol
    Last edited by tucker298; 07-13-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker298 View Post

This update was mostly for rum runner, he probably thinks something is wrong if I'm not calling him every weekend with my latest road block on the build lol
    Haha! I was indeed wondering what's been happening. Good luck with the surgery!

-Michael

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast