Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naturally aspirated engine in 818 experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Naturally aspirated engine in 818 experience?

Good morning everyone,
    Has anyone used a naturally aspirated Subaru engine in their 818?
    If so, are you happy with the performance? Why did you chose it over the WRX engine?
    I know the NA engines are less complicated, but make less power.
    I completed rebuilding a NA engine a few months ago and came across a 818 with lots of work done on it to include the donor car parts. Was considering putting my NA engine in the 818 and selling the WRX stuff.
    I'm sure I'd be happier with the WRX engine, but my wallet would be WAY happier with the NA!
    Thanks,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I should give more details... I built an EJ222, the phase 2 EJ22, 2.2L, 142HP, 149 torque. I was planning to put a Mercedes Kompressor Eaton M62 on it and running 5 or 6 PSI. So I have the supercharger, rising rate fuel pressure regulator, wideband Air/Fuel gauge, top mount intercooler and piping, etc. I ported (gasket matched) the intake manifold and exhaust manifold, put in WRX/STI springs, new valves, delta Cams 1500 grind camshafts. New clutch, flywheel, gaskets, etc.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    The green 818 in Factory Five's gallery has a NA engine in it. The guy who bought it is in New Zealand (I think) and he is a fairly active member of the forum but his name escapes me right now.

Both the NA and the Turbo engine work great. To do a turbo right, you have to add a lot of time and parts($) on things that aren't part of the standard kit build from FFR. Examples include an air to water intercooler (or a more elaborate air to air setup which has yet to be successfully done), an oil catch can or air oil separator, oil cooler, and some other things depending on how much power you are targeting.

So knowing the above, it comes down to a personal decision about how much power you want and how much additional money and time you are willing to spend to get the added power of the turbo. Divide the 818 curb weight by the horsepower of a NA Subaru engine and compare that power to weight ratio of some other modern cars to get a feeling for how fast it is and if it would be enough for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Hindsight! Your posts are very informative and I've already learned a lot! The instruction manual shows installing the air to air intercooler. I've read people have cooling issues, but is that only on cars at the track?

Post Thanks / Like
    Echo what Hindsight said. I am trying my first track day with my turbo/AAIC setup. There are times I wish I just went NA. No lag, much cheaper and simpler. It really depends on your goals, though. Can't go wrong either way!

Post Thanks / Like
    If I knew what I knew now- I would of had a hot NA 2.5L built if I stuck with an EJ motor at all.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm building an N/A one. I've only driven it up and down my street 2 or 3 times and every time its left rubber on the ground and I was even trying not to...I don't have an excessive appetite for speed so I believe it will be enough power for me

Post Thanks / Like
    The complexity of the turbo setup (to do it right) is why I'm considering the ez30. The 230 to 250hp is plenty for me on this platform.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might be able to get away without an air to water intercooler in a turbo car, if you stay on the street. But I wouldn't do it. There is no airflow back there, and the air to air intercooler gets hot even if you avoid getting on boost. Seems like a recipe for disaster if you ever drive enthusiastically at all. I would probably go with a NA if I had it to do over again.
    Last edited by Buzz Skyline; 08-17-2015 at 10:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    If I knew what I knew now- I would of had a hot NA 2.5L built if I stuck with an EJ motor at all.
    Chad,
    I'd like to know more of your thoughts on this. I have 2 more 818S chassis siting in my barn.
    I had 2 donors, 2004 forester XT 2.5L turbo and 2006 NA impreza wagon with a rod knock.
    Michael's blue chassis got the turbo. Maybe $400 to $600 in AWIC parts. Not very complex.
    One of the remaining chassis will be electric.
    The other remaining chassis I was looking for another turbo motor or rebuilding the NA motor.
    Convince me to go NA. I have high respect for your opinions
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Chad,
    I'd like to know more of your thoughts on this. I have 2 more 818S chassis siting in my barn.
    I had 2 donors, 2004 forester XT 2.5L turbo and 2006 NA impreza wagon with a rod knock.
    Michael's blue chassis got the turbo. Maybe $400 to $600 in AWIC parts. Not very complex.
    The other remaining chassis I was looking for another turbo motor or rebuilding the NA motor.
    Bob
    I am not chad, but I would go NA 3.0 6 in a heart beat. better response, better traction control, better SOUND! a little heavier but easy reliable horsepower. hard to beat.

I am going to build my coupe with the 6.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    Chad,
    Bob
    Just the simplicity. We add a whole lot of weight just to get the turbo working OK. A 3.0L would be great for racing for me if they made a Dry Sump pan for it. If you are not worried about that, then I would go NA 3.0L like the others have stated.

"Simplify and add lightness"
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the great info. I won't avoid getting into the boost! Nothing wrong with getting to the speed limit the quickest and safest way I can, is there?
    I'm in NH, so need to have ODBII, so not sure the 3.0 would work and allow me to pass inspection.
    I have the rebuilt 2.2L phase II with Delta Cam 1500s, ported heads/intake/exhaust and have another 2.2 for parts/spare.
    And I'll have the 2004 WRX 2.0L turbo engine that I'm getting with the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    So on this topic, I went with the 2002 2.0 turbo. (My son insisted on the turbo.) This is for an 818s, but I plan to drive it pretty hard. What should I be doing to make sure this thing stays cool enough and can someone point me to the thread.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like most recommend the air to water inter cooler. I've found several vendors on this site who sell a kit with all the parts.
    I have not found a thread discussing the heat issues and if anyone runs with the TMIC from the WRX motor, but I just started reading thru all of this info!

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while since anyone posted intake temps with a stock TMIC. 9+ months ago I was seeing reports of 140+ degree intake temps from someone but I can't remember exactly.

My advice would be to go to the build threads sub-forum and start reading. It will take weeks or months but the information you'll find is invaluable. C.Plavan's thread is a great one... pretty sure he went AWIC from the start but he did have overheating issues initially. Andrew and Tamra's thread is another good one, but there are plenty of others as well. Focus on the threads from people who have their car on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chad,
    Bob
    I'm not Chad, but I'll take a small shot at it!

How much HP does a Spec Miata have? Do Spec Miata drivers have a blast of a good time?

A new Mazda crate motor has 109 HP in the 1.6L and weighs 2300 lbs. A perfectly built professional Spec Miata motor might make 120 Hp.

Now imagine how much would a Spec Miata driver like one that corners at 1.6 Gs and weighs 2000 Lbs? Or maybe less than 2000?

Yes, you could have a ton of fun. And save bucks on brake pads and everything else!

I race a 1990 Acura Integra, 145 Hp, 2500 lbs, in our conference version of Honda Challenge 4. I used to own the car, I sold it to a friend who let's me co-drive Enduros with him. It's a blast to drive too. And believe me, there have been multiple times lately when I look at the simplicity of that NA Honda B18 motor and wonder what have I done! I melted the motor once when I took a rock thru the radiator. $1100 later I had a great JDM B18 in it and running stronger than before.

Oh yeah, I can see a NA motor in a 818. You just have to concentrate on the thrill of cornering at outrageous speeds and not so much on the top speed.

However you'd still have to dry sump it at those cornering forces if you are going to road race it. But seeing that it's an S you won't need a DS in autox event.
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 08-18-2015 at 06:28 PM.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    You're not the only one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, what are you going to do for engine management/wire harness? I'd have to piggy back a regular ECU so I could have an ODBII port to pass inspections here in NH I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    It's been a while since anyone posted intake temps with a stock TMIC. 9+ months ago I was seeing reports of 140+ degree intake temps from someone but I can't remember exactly..
    Im going to install an intake temp sensor soon and get some accurate readings. i am still running a TMIC (05 sti tmic) on a 2.5 out of a 06 wrx, short ram intake stock td04. I wish i would have had something while road tuning and the first autocross i did. both days it was 90+ with almost 100% humidity. car still ran very well considering.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've had a H6 EZ30 in my 818 (chassis #006) since Oct 2013
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    I've had a H6 EZ30 in my 818 (chassis #006) since Oct 2013
    Thank god you did, because I followed your lead, but you turboed yours for big power.

I went ez30r, which actually required to offset the engine back 3/4 of an inch due to the extra length of the cam phasor. I'll likely be using a haltech ecu, a co-worker deals them and says it's not an issue to get the avcs and avls working.

Sadly, it's going to be awhile until I get it running, spending more time and money working on the house than the car lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Craigfree, do you have a build thread?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I guess you can officially add the NA BRZ engine to the 818!
    I like the NA BRZ as an option. Cobb Accessport supported. 200HP.
    Plenty of Turbo and Supercharger options if you later want to go big.
    We'll just have to develop a dry sump pan for it.

"In addition to providing design options for the 818, we've been looking at continuing to offer powertrain options. A lot of people have been asking for American engines to be used in the 818. We've worked with the guys from Ford, and will be filming a show with PowerNation's "Engine Power" in October to install the new 2.3L EcoBoost 4 from the 2015 Mustang. We are also adding the Subaru BRZ engine which is a 200 hp normally aspirated boxer engine. Both of these new powerplants promise big fun and will debut at SEMA 2015."
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    They can't keep the oil pressure up on the race track with the BRZ motor. Element has gone through a few.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    They can't keep the oil pressure up on the race track with the BRZ motor. Element has gone through a few.
    With an Element Dry Sump?
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    With an Element Dry Sump?
    He was complaining about the oil pump in the brz they race.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    You can already get a JDM turbo FA engine also. If the NA will fit, I'm sure the other will too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a NA FA BRZ engine would be perfect to use for a Spec 818 race class. It's too difficult to enforce HP dyno rules with turbo cars. And an NA Spec 818 would be much more reliable and simple to operate, the draw of most Spec classes.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent an email to someone with a 2001 Outback with H6 motor, so hope to hear back from them. I'd have to pull the harness too I guess?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bumping this thread to see if anybody has completed a NA 2.5 build yet? I blew the turbo engine in my LGT this weekend at Pacific Raceways (two years in a row!!). While contemplating the problem in the paddock a guy who has lusted after my LGT wagon for years came by to see what happened and made me an offer to buy it as is. I accepted. So now i'm looking to buy an 818R soon. I'm pretty fed up with high powered 4 cyl turbo engines and am looking very strongly at using a dry sumped NA 2.5. I'd love to hear from anyone who has already built an NA!
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear agout your engine problem, good news that you are looking at a 818R for track use.
    Offering my opinion on this subject, I have a quite a bit of road racing turbo experience (Not Boxer engines) and found them to be very reliable. Granted we were not sizing turbos for maximum power but for a broad power band and at lower boost levels.
    Got a chance today to do a few laps in Bob and Micheals 818, the car is pretty quick (200 whp) at 10psi boost. My point is in a 818 at modest power levels it will be hard to match the power out put of a NA engine at a fraction of the cost.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the green wilwood car on factory five's 818 gallery. It's NA. It is owned by a forum member named Hendow: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/searc...archid=1950193

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    Sorry to hear agout your engine problem, good news that you are looking at a 818R for track use.
    Offering my opinion on this subject, I have a quite a bit of road racing turbo experience (Not Boxer engines) and found them to be very reliable. Granted we were not sizing turbos for maximum power but for a broad power band and at lower boost levels.
    Got a chance today to do a few laps in Bob and Micheals 818, the car is pretty quick (200 whp) at 10psi boost. My point is in a 818 at modest power levels it will be hard to match the power out put of a NA engine at a fraction of the cost.
    I wish I could say the same, I've blown three Subaru engines in one year, two in the race car and one in a Spec B daily driver.

You are probably right on the reliability if I turn the boos down. My goal is to run NASA ST3 at the Thunderhill 25 Hour in 2017; I only need around 200HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Look at the green wilwood car on factory five's 818 gallery. It's NA. It is owned by a forum member named Hendow: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/searc...archid=1950193
    Good looking car. His YouTube videos re interetsing in the rain.

Thanks to both of you!
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 05-16-2016 at 01:17 AM.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    The Wilwood was NA at SEMA but became a late model (2012 WRX??) when it was imported to Australia. Hendow lives in Perth, Australia

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgyTim View Post
    The Wilwood was NA at SEMA but became a late model (2012 WRX??) when it was imported to Australia. Hendow lives in Perth, Australia
    I thought I heard the sound of a turbo spooling in the intake in his video!
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    I love to know if we could fit a transverse mounted LS V8 in the back, somehow. Mated to a transverse manual transmission. Destroke it with an OEM 3.267" crankshaft dropped into a block with 4.065" bores. Displacing 339 cubic inches (5.56L). You've have a rev-tastaic (8,000 RPM) NA monster that'd produce about 605 hp. And that's with carburetors. See HRM's build.
    Fast Cars, Fast Women, Fast Haircuts!

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There's also some development work going on for itbs on the FA20. I think 250 hp is the goal with standalone. that would be a nice light package.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    There's also some development work going on for itbs on the FA20. I think 250 hp is the goal with standalone. that would be a nice light package.
    Should be OK for a street car, but there are issues with oil pressure for a track car. I looked at that route.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Along with the lack of oil issues> as explained in another thread none of BRZ/FRS engines will bolt up to the trannys we use. Only the FA in the 2015 WRX will, and it has a low mount turbo. And none of them have a dry sump solution yet.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast