Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Naturally aspirated engine in 818 experience?

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Who makes that dry sump pan?

And I've been reading more on the FA20DIT. I see no reason (so far) we couldn't use the WRX shortblock (FA20DIT) but swap in FA20 internals, heads, and the rest for essentially a FA20 complete engine using the FA20DIT block that bolts up to the trannys we use. in fact most performance builders now C0-list their stage 1-2-3 builds as FA20/FA20DIT. Then we could use the oem ecu and all the other aftermarket parts.

You can buy just the FA20DIT case halves , Part Number: 11010AB380, for MSRP $1103. Then take everything else from a FA20 and swap them over. At least that's my theory.

And now that you've found a dry sump.......

Found another one. Ken Stout racing:

IMG_1874.jpeg

According to their website and blog it's a Dailey Dry Sump System.
    "We had serpentine failures twice last year that took the oil pump belt with it resulting in engine failure and that has been addressed. "
    A writer on FT86 says "an external oil pump setup run off a custom water pump pulley"

Phil at Element Tuning is also working on a dry sump solution but his most recent posts on IWISTI indicate he's not happy with it yet.
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 05-30-2016 at 01:50 AM.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    If I knew what I knew now- I would of had a hot NA 2.5L built if I stuck with an EJ motor at all.
    How hot can a NA 2.5 be built?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    How hot can a NA 2.5 be built?
    I've had several discussions with builders on that topic. Using the 2.5i SOHC NA engine a couple *think* it *might* be possible to hit 215 RWHP. Mostly they stick to around 185 RWHP as the max. To get to 215 they were talking all the usual NA stuff like High Compression, Stroker, Cams, Balanced.

I've yet to find anyone who's tried using a 2.5 DOHC AVCS or DAVCS as a base for an NA engine. No one I've spoken with knows what kind of NA power is possible if you take full advantage of the DOHC AVCS or DAVCS. That would require a custom tune using an aftermarket ECU.

All of the above blows the $$$$ sky high compared to a small turbo, which is why no one does it.

Two of the best communities I've found for the 2.5 NA are the 25RS forum: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f5-n-tuning/ ( Note the Sticky thread "200 HP from a 2.5 n/a with just bolt ons??" and the Legacy NA forum: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...5i-115322.html
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds about like the same stuff I've been reading. 200 simply won't be enough, especially when all that extra cash could be stuffed into a proper turbo engine. Looks like there just isn't any way around it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a few years, but a buddy of mine was getting into rally racing back in 2009ish and was gonna use his WRX. Problem is you have to start in open-light if you wanna be awd. Open-light is NA only... we dreamed up and built the EJ257 from an STi into a 2.3l destroked rev monster. 2.0 crank, 100mm bore (.5mm over stock), balanced the assembly for 9500 rpm. 13:1 compression and some custom spec'd cams that a local builder came up with put us at 260 wheel hp. Once he learned how to drive a rally car he was about untouchable if he didn't crash. lol. That's about the highest hp I've heard of in NA Scooby 4s...

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    Who makes that dry sump pan?

sorry I missed this reply

Hypertune Australia makes a kit. you can contact them on facebook. I think its about $3800

http://www.hypertune.net/
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, that sounds like a lot of work for 260...and a lot of $$.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12