BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trying to nail down options on a complete kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to nail down options on a complete kit.

Hey All, I've got a few questions. So, Ive been saving my beer money for about 8-9 years now and am finally close to pulling the trigger on a complete kit! WooHoo! You'd think in all those years of dreaming about this I'd have it all worked out to the last detail, but I guess waiting until the last minute is my style. Here's my list so far, but seriously it's really all open for discussion at this point.

How I'm going to use the car seems to influence a lot of the decisions I guess, aside from budget that is. Ok, so I think that I want to track day the car occasionally and maybe auto cross it also. I've never done those things...because Ive never had a car that I could do them in. I also want to cruise the car around town, I actually want to drive it as much as possible, I might even drive it in the rain someday when I can save up enough $$ for the soft top. I'll cross that bridge when I get there though. Basically I want an all around car, I'm not looking for a purpose built track car but performance is an aspect of the build. Spending good money on good parts up front isn't out of the question, it just can't get out of hand either. I think that my motor and trans will be rebuilt ones so I will get a little savings there.

Complete Kit
    351w (mild build/hp about 300hp to the wheels)
    T-5
    Clutch: looking for input? I don't know the difference of Hydraulic vs. other?
    IRS
    Power steering
    Power brakes
    Big Brakes? looking for input?
    heated seats. Has anybody done cooled seats yet?
    window wipers ( I live in the PacNW)
    18'' wheels
    Glove box
    Wing windows? Do they help?
    Paint of some sort

What else am I forgetting? tons of stuff I'm sure, but I thought I'd throw that out there for starters.
    Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the other options you may consider:

Powder coated frame?
    PS roll bar?
    DS roll bar chrome?
    Wilwood brakes?
    Upgraded seats?
    Body cut outs?

I believe there is thread on most common options purchased.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on the type of track days you run, if they require an instructor to ride w/ you, you will need a passenger roll bar.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    With a complete kit, engine, trans and rear suspension decided, most of what's left is personal choice and if you want most can be added after you get the kit and start the build. Sometimes ideas change a bit after you get started. Specific comments: You don't mention headers/exhaust. This is part of the order. J-pipes or 4-into-4 headers? Cats required? Seats are a personal choice. Some find the standard seats comfortable (we do) but some don't. Some want the additional safety of higher backs. There are several choices and some are easier to fit than others. Also depends on your size and body type. Heated seats with the standard seats is easy. I've done it a couple times. Cooled seats? Haven't heard of anyone doing that. Our DD has cooled seats. Nice, but not sure how effective they would really be in a Roadster. Ideally would require AC plus perforated seat covers. Not sure it's worth the bother. I'm personally a fan of a hydraulic clutch. But the most recent revision of the cable driven clutch with the Wilwood pedal box works very well if you can get a decent straight path away from heat for the cable. Pretty doable with a 351 SBF. Strongly recommend you consider a mechanical throttle linkage if you're going carb. Good luck!
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nate,

I recently started my build with a 351W. I did consider a hydraulic clutch over a cable, and there are pros and cons with each. You can get a really nice route for the cable and it works fine, so that swung it for me.

You didn't mention a heater/defroster. If this is something you are considering, and you use the FFR kit, you won't have room for a regular glovebox.

Fan shroud kit and battery relocation kit (to engine bay) are good additions from Breeze.

If you are tall you might want to consider a quick release steering boss (Breeze I think). Makes it easier getting in and out, and an added anti-theft deterrent!

I am going for a push button start with proximity key, like a lot of modern cars. Oh and a hard wired garage door opener.

Good luck
    Ian
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I wish I had utilized the advice of folks on here when I first started but didn't in the order phase. I have a suggestion that will keep it simple and organized (also from FFRs perspective). It's also something you will have to complete when you do your order. Go to the FFR website and look over the MKIV order form just like you were doing the check off list for your real order. You may be able to print it. I haven't tried that. The point is, it will really get down to specifics and show you part numbers that you can check in the parts catalog and then later compare to other vendors for comparison in case you don't want to use that item in the kit. By far, most of your questions will be answered when you do this little exercise or it will allow you to begin to ask the right questions if there is doubt about a certain portion of it. You can then build on the fundamental plan as you begin to flesh out the details.

Wind wings: definitely!

Also, the disclaimer: avoid pressing the submit button while in the on line order form or you will start your project sooner than planned.

Good luck and have fun,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely get the 13" brakes. I am happy with my cable clutch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely do a heater based on your location. You will be surprised how it can extend your driving season. And later, if you add a top, you can drive all year around as long as the road is dry.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heater and a glove box is a challenge though. unless you move firewall forward I believe.
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    As WEK suggested, fill out the order form on line and print it. I did that, and it helped. Also, as mentioned by just about everybody, it's all personal preference. I asked the same question about the clutch - cable or hydraulic. We installed a cable clutch in build school and it was pretty easy. I'm going that route. I decided early on that I wanted power steering, but am now rethinking that decision. You can defer that one for a while. You get a manual rack in the kit, but would need to buy an after market steering rack if you choose that route. I'm sure there are others who have way more experience than I on this topic, but my input is to ensure that whatever transmission you choose will handle the power you anticipate. Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chopthebass View Post
    Heater and a glove box is a challenge though. unless you move firewall forward I believe.
    If that is the case scrap the glovebox. There are plenty of small spots on the outer sides and behind the seat to put small stuff. You can also open up the rear cockpit wall to the trunk and have a nice big storage area. Put a new wall about 6-8 inches back.

Post Thanks / Like
    You mentioned that you would like to do some track days. Be sure to check with your local club to determine required equipment (a tech inspector is usually the most helpful).

Most clubs will not let you on track with the low back buckets that come with the kit (the harness preloads your spine too much and sets the stage for serious injury). High back buckets with a submarine slot in the seat is usually required equipment. So, now you will have to make the decision on whether or not to purchase the low backs, with the kit, or put that money toward the high backs. If you want it both ways, a simple mount attached to the low backs and high backs can make the swap a twenty minute job.

Most of your other questions have been asked by others here on forum, so a little search will provide you with some good information.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.