BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How much is too much? & T-56 install

Post Thanks / Like

How much is too much? & T-56 install

Okay, here's the deal. I think i'm decided on doing a T-56 instead of a TKO. What install issues might I expect to face with this change aside from the drivesaft length? Also, in your experience, how much power is just too much for the street, and what's just right for street and track use in your opinion? (I'll be running 12" wide simi-slicks through the new IRS if that matters) Thanks for reading and contributing!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 400 and would like another 75-100. I hope to get that from my 408 this winter.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just bumping to see if anyone else wants to put in their 2 cents.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, I have the older IRS, and I'd still go with the TKO because of the drive shaft length,
    it can be a bit too short with the T-56. One of the Coupe owners just posted that with a
    T-5, .63 final with 3.27 Rear gears, He's turning 1750 RPM at 70 MPH. That would translate
    to a Bus Load of shifting a close ratio six speed just to reach highway speeds.

As to HP, 400-450 is more than enough in one of these Coupes to impress anyone.

Hank
    Last edited by Hankl; 09-03-2015 at 10:41 PM.
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Hank a 6speed is over kill heck the original cars had top loader 4 speeds and 385hp and could nearly get to 200mph at Leman's. 400-450 at the wheels will be well into super car territory with 3-4-5 or 6 speeds I think most chose a 5 speed because its an easy install parts are available and it has a street oriented over drive. The T56 has a double over drive that IMO is a complete waste in a light weight car. If I had it to do over again I might consider a close ratio custom 4 speed with a .8 or so over drive and a very tall 1st gear.
    Last edited by HCP 65 COUPE; 09-04-2015 at 02:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use C.S advice: Enough is enough, too much , is just right !

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been pondering the same problem as David. I've decided to put in a Coyote motor(400+ HP) with (3.55 Torson) final. I would like the T-56 double overdrive for highway use (.50 final). Good MPG on the highway. I've used the Tremec AP to look at the difference between the TKO and the T-56. I know I would never see 6th gear unless on the highway tough.
    Build 1: MkIV Roadster #8675. Deliv: 8/15/2015.
    FFR MkIV complete kit. / 5.0 Coyote Motor / T56 Magnum Trans / 2015 IRS / 18' Halibrand w/Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Tires
    FFMetal: Firewall Forward, Trans Tunnel top, Battery Box, Fan Shroud
    Russ Thompson: Turn signal Assembly, Trunk Box Mod.
    Breeze: SS Roll Bars(2), Power Steering rack, and much more.
    Mike Forte: supplied 5.0 Coyote & T56 Magnum Trans

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on installing the T-56 magnum 6-speed. I chose that for two reasons. First, I wanted the 2.66 first gear instead of the 3.27, which is the most common in the 5 speeds. Second, with the 2.66 first gear trans, it's a close ratio gearbox similar to the original top loader. I wasn't really concerned about the overdrive gears. With such a light weight car, I felt that the steeper first gear would be more usable without having to quick shift out of first gear. I'm also running a 3.55 rear gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    With this amount invested in motoring what do you care about mileage? You'll be doing a lot of lower gear driving anyways just to hear the sound. I bet I don't get 10 MPG rumbling through towns in lower gears. I figure the lost savings in gas mileage is worth the extra smiles in lower gears.
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Post Thanks / Like
    Gearing is always a quandary. There's no such thing as the perfect gear. It's always a compromise in one way or another. You have to look at what kind of driving you'll be doing the most of, and then gear it appropriately.

As for power, there's no such thing as too much power, only not enough control. My engine makes around 600hp, and I'd like a bit more.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, it sounds like you built what I am planning to build. Any chance you can direct me to your build pics?

Sorry to bogart the thread.... So, exactly what ppl are saying about gearing and trans. There are a few basic factors going into trans design (for race, street, show, whatever): Ergonomics (where you and your shifter end up), Speed in corners vs when to shift, and speeds in straights vs rpm. So to me a 6 sp is perfectly acceptable in most cases, if you gear for what you are wanting. And some people like a few extra shifts going thru town, bc that gives a little more driving enjoyment and thrill. ;0)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The gearing in my 03 Cobra Terminator T56:

Gear Ratio
    1st - 2.66
    2nd - 1.78
    3rd - 1.30
    4th - 1.00
    5th - 0.80
    6th - 0.63
    Reverse - 2.90
    Final Drive - 3.55
    Picked up Kit 7/20/09, Tear down stage complete, Donor 2003 Cobra 4.6L supercharged, 25k miles on engine, IRS, 6-speed. Attended Build School October 08. Mods done, frame powder coated 12/2012, First Start 7/31/13, gocart 8/2/13, Check out my blog
    http://venomxs.com/index.php?view=ca...tent&Itemid=57

Post Thanks / Like
    My LS2 roadster runs a T56 (2.66, 1.78, 1.3, 1.0, 0.80, 0.62) and a 3.9 final drive.

If and when I build a coupe I think I'll use a TKO instead. I find I start off in 2nd gear quite often unless parked facing uphill and even then it is a real short shift. We don't have the nice highways in Australia that the US has.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by afaa View Post
    We don't have the nice highways in Australia that the US has.
    Trust me, you have nicer highways than Michigan does... Pretty sure most third world countries do too.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the track you can use pretty much all the hp you can throw at it. On the street it depends on how well your car is set up and if there are any driveability concerns such as a wild cam, etc.. Most of the time I dial my boost to make 550-600 rwhp on the street and have found that to be the sweet spot for traction depending upon road conditions, air temps, and the age of my drag radials. If your running BFG TA radials 300 rwhp can be a handful. Cheers.