Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How do I know what chassis number I have?

Post Thanks / Like

How do I know what chassis number I have?

Picked up my partially completed 818 over the weekend. Is the chassis number part of the serial number? It's not listed on any of the documents I have.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    It may be on some of the packing lists, it is also stamped somewhere on the frame. Later they will send you the plaque with the serial number stamped on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to see it on the frame, it's on the driver's side, left side of the cluster (once installed) on a horizontal bar at the dash level. It's not powder coated on that specific area.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't find it, but the frame is not powder coated and was painted. Certificate of Origin says 2013 and has serial number, invoice number. I'll look around more tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

Think I found it hand written on packing list, 0105S?
    Last edited by bimmerbill; 08-25-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerbill View Post
    I couldn't find it, but the frame is not powder coated and was painted. Certificate of Origin says 2013 and has serial number, invoice number. I'll look around more tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

Think I found it hand written on packing list, 0105S?
    That's possible. It should be the last few digits of the serial number, as well.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a my serial #. It is on the 1.5" sq tube above the pedals. Near the left side hinges.

It is hard to see on my car as I have 2 coats of powder.
    Bob

Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 08-26-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob, when I get home I'll get the flashlight out and poke around down there. 105 is the last few digits of my serial #. I have the fiberglass center hump set up which I read is the older version of how they finish off the cockpit tunnel.

Anything I should look out for in the build with #105? Major changes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is better location shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob!
    Is there a change log or list of revisions/changes in parts and frame over the build cycle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerbill View Post
    Thanks Bob!
    Is there a change log or list of revisions/changes in parts and frame over the build cycle?
    We (the builders) don't have a list. We all talk to FFR about problems. In a month to a year later, the problems magically get fixed.
    In the beginning, it was easy to remember the changes. Two years into it with probably 100's of small changes, it is tough to keep track.
    FFR does believe in the practice of "CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT".
    I find building a car that isn't perfect a challenge. Also, a great leaning experience for my son and I. We probably have 50 modification (I think are improvements) to the FFR design.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob says he has made 50 modifications and he's a very skilled builder but you shouldn't interpret that as 50 goofs by FFR. Finding modifications that fit our needs is part of the fun. I built a FFR Mk3 roadster that was number 6228 so there had been lots of prior improvements made by FFR, yet when I went to sell it I counted up 47 modifications I had made in my build. Of course, we all think our modifications are improvements for our needs and taste. A big part of the fun is thinking up improvements and finding ways to make them. You'll soon get into the same mindset, if you're not there already.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the insights. I was mainly looking for things to "look out for" that I may run into based on age of kit. I can never leave anything alone, so I am sure I'll find lots of stuff to modify while building!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Bob says he has made 50 modifications and he's a very skilled builder but you shouldn't interpret that as 50 goofs by FFR. Finding modifications that fit our needs is part of the fun. I built a FFR Mk3 roadster that was number 6228 so there had been lots of prior improvements made by FFR, yet when I went to sell it I counted up 47 modifications I had made in my build. Of course, we all think our modifications are improvements for our needs and taste. A big part of the fun is thinking up improvements and finding ways to make them. You'll soon get into the same mindset, if you're not there already.
    EXACTLY what Pete said above.
    Most my mods were personal taste. Some were because my son Michael is 6'3" 300# and I'm close to that. Some were because I thought my way is better. (typical engineer)

By Serial # 105, most of the frame and body issues were fixed by FFR.
    The Headlights can be a PITA. Don't go wild on tire sizes. The optimum size recommended is a tight fit.
    Wiring can be a challenge to many. We are all here to help each other.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 08-26-2015 at 09:50 PM.