FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering very stiff

Post Thanks / Like

Steering very stiff

I finished (almost) my MK4 and had it aligned last week. As I peck away putting a few miles at a time and checking to make sure everything is okay my issue is the steering. Its manual and stiff which I expected however its stiff to the point that it does not return to center. My suspicion is I might have a ball joint problem but before I tear into this, is it normal for manual steering on a MK4 to act this way?

-Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Check your caster - that is what gives the system it's return-to-center action.

Also, stiff is relative. Un-assisted, these cars are just like the old school cars of the '60s. Mine seemed stiff, too, as it'd been a few years since I drove my last old car, but after a couple thousand miles, it seems just right and is actually quite pleasant and communicative.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    +3 degrees on the caster.

When I say stiff, if you turn a corner it'll just keep on turning. The wheel makes no attempt to return to center.

Post Thanks / Like
    No it's not normal. Your alignment guy didn't do a good job. Either take it back for another attempt or find someone else.
    Mark III complete kit ordered 12/03/2007, received #6351 1/22/2008 Homemade mods: driver footbox extension with deadpedal and dimmer switch, widened passenger footbox, brake reservoir mounting bracket, under trunk storage box, custom dash and dash extension, heater forward box, custom glove box, under dash switch panel, Explorer motor carb conversion, first start 7/10/2010, off to paint (Performance Automotive) 11/20/2010, finally home 5/7/2011, Graduated 11/22/2011

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Fred,

I'm assuming you presented the guy with the FFR recommended numbers. One of the things your shop should do is a check of the lock to lock and movement of your suspension. Sort of like a pre flight check on an air plane, looking for any kind of abnormality. They should also do a test drive afterwards. When I took mine to the Firestone Store they spent about an hour and a half on it. You would expect the guy to notice the stiffness and failure to center. It just doesn't sound right. Also, is everything greased liberally. Just checking. I agree. Take it back first before you do anything. There should be a warranty and you don't want to void that before checking with them.
    Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Doing an alignment has nothing to do w/ checking all the components on a new build. No it's not normal for the wheel to stay in whatever position you turn it to but I don't see that as an alignment guys responsibility. I think you are better off checking this yourself. I would put the car on stands and turn the steering wheel back and forth to get a feel for the resistance level. Then disconnect one tierod end at a time re-check the resistance. This will tell you if the problem is in one side or the other. If the resistance doesn't drop off w/ both tierod ends disconnected you have either a rack or a steering column problem. There is a resistance or friction adjustment built into the rack. Although it is almost never adjusted it will be worth checking if the problem seems to be in the rack itself. Although I only have a power rack pic, a manual rack will have similar. See the big lock nut (w/ the green paint dot) w/ the smaller nut in it's center. Loosen the big nut w/ a hammer and punch if you don't have a wrench. Then turn the center nut. Counter clockwise is less friction.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input. I agree that alignment shouldn't necessarily cause this and also think from having driven manual cars in the past, this is not normal. I'll pull the wheels tonight and go through the process of elimination and hopefully figure this out. Because the build was four years in the making, ball joint(s) and/or the rack are my lead candidates.

-Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJ View Post
    I finished (almost) my MK4 and had it aligned last week. As I peck away putting a few miles at a time and checking to make sure everything is okay my issue is the steering. Its manual and stiff which I expected however its stiff to the point that it does not return to center. My suspicion is I might have a ball joint problem but before I tear into this, is it normal for manual steering on a MK4 to act this way?

-Fred
    I'm to the same point as you, alignment is right on, in process of shaking down the car(200 miles)steering is getting stiffer every day,
    dropped the tierods, found the problem, very stiff ball joints, to a point where one lower squeaks like crazy.Even relatively hard to
    turn by hand,should be smooth by hand.Must be those after market joints from the kit...searching for top quality balljoints &part #.
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my goofs during the build was putting the tie rod ends through the top of the steering arm. This made for stiff and unpredictable steering. Put the tie rod ends through the bottom of steering as it should be and my problems went away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bring the caster down to +1 degree.