BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vintage air AC compressor options?

Post Thanks / Like

Vintage air AC compressor options?

Hi all, I decided to go with the vintage air Mini gen II system. I had to purchase a new condenser/radiator since my donor part was damaged.

Now I am trying to figure out compressor options. It doesn't sound like we can use the factory since it is variable.

Anyone actually try it? It would be nice to keep factory WOT a.c. compressor cutoff. Can that be done with aftermarket compressor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will let you know how the stock compressor works in a few weeks. Getting my lines made this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    I will let you know how the stock compressor works in a few weeks. Getting my lines made this week.
    Sounds good. I can't wait to hear. I will start going that route also, so please let me know. I am a ways out. Did you tie into factory harness to allow AC cutoff on full throttle?

Post Thanks / Like
    No I didnt tie into it. Maybe it will just blow up who knows. I'm just using the donor compressor because it was free and will switch to the approriate compressor if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been looking at the V.A. solution and wondering if it would be possible to use an electric compressor instead of one driven by the engine? I still have a bunch or research to do to see if an appropriate sized one is available; but if so I'll be trying to install it in the front of the car. Will be watching this thread for your progress.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb75 View Post
    I've been looking at the V.A. solution and wondering if it would be possible to use an electric compressor instead of one driven by the engine? I still have a bunch or research to do to see if an appropriate sized one is available; but if so I'll be trying to install it in the front of the car. Will be watching this thread for your progress.
    check the evtv.me or other electric conversion websites. They have been dealing with the heat and ac issues for many years on their conversions and have some options that are easy to install and work well.
    818S #343 Delivered 5-20-2015
    First Start 10-17-2015
    First Drive 10-17-2017 ( 100 feet back and forth until I can get off driveway)
    First Drive with a non leaking tuned motor 11-12-2015 (wow)
    Passed NJ State constructed inspection 8/30/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Robert, I'm also anxious to hear your if your Vintage Air system works with the Subaru compressor, since that's what I've done. So far I've got the V.A. components all plumbed and wired but I haven't yet had the system leak-checked and charged. I've got some other stuff to do before it's ready to register and drive to an A/C shop. Get to work, eh?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Robert, I'm also anxious to hear your if your Vintage Air system works with the Subaru compressor, since that's what I've done. So far I've got the V.A. components all plumbed and wired but I haven't yet had the system leak-checked and charged. I've got some other stuff to do before it's ready to register and drive to an A/C shop. Get to work, eh?
    So am I but for my 818C but it's not ordre yet

Post Thanks / Like
    The AC shop is making my house than I will assemble and have them charge and leak test. Im waiting for the call to go and pick up mine lines. Im just a bit busy with school and this heat has been killer to work in.

Im converting my S into a C so I planned from the beginning on having AC installed. If it wasn't going to be the hardtop it would of been the soft top, but AC was always in the plan. Should have the car up to the AC shop hopefully by the end of end of next week. Going out of town for labor day weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    I stumbled on this old thread and can tell you the Subaru A/C compressor works with the Vintage Air system. Vintage Air might tell you the Subaru compressor is a variable type and won't work, but the Subaru compressors are fixed pressure and WILL WORK. I know because I researched it and my Vintage Air system works fine with the donor compressor!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Would you mind mentioning again what all fittings and tubing you got? Did you actually weld fittings on the factory tubing or use compression fittings?

Post Thanks / Like
    I took the donor tubing and these Vintage air tubes to an A/C shop where the two were welded. These V.A. tubes have ports but search the V.A. catalog to see which fit your needs.

12513-VCD Hardline #8 x 12” M/FM U Bend Em
    12514 -VCS Hardline #10 x 12” M/FM U Bend Em

I have a pdf of what I did and the parts used so if you'd like it PM your email address.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your post. Do you have any pictures of how you plumbed the lines to the compressor, etc. ? and...all the other complexities as your ID states! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Carlsonmj, if you send me your email address in a PM I'll send a pdf that shows what I did to add air.
    (When everyone in the tundra territories is suffering through a "Polar Vortex", I love to talk about air conditioning since it's 72 F here today!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Folks,

I just stumbled on this thread as well. I purchased my 818 about 6 months ago. Using a 2002 WRX as the donor.

My father and I have been going like crazy and are starting to think about defrost / heat / AC. Live in Canada, so heat is a must. Just wondering if you could elaborate on how well the Vintage Air systems have worked (seems like the easiest option) and where you mounted the units, where lines were run, etc.

Any info would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I use AXpete list but change a little my route. And from the compreur I use compresse ring not weldedimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    image.jpegimage.jpegfor the by pass 5/8 tube inside there is small tube with 14/in hold for restriction

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    image.pngimage.pngimage.png I got it all from summet racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Weasson, I made a pdf showing how I installed HVAC in my 818. It is too big to post here so send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you. Or, same for any other builder.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the info, should make this a little easier!

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a part number for the AC compressor line connector? I can't seem to locate it on Summit and don't know if I should weld.

Post Thanks / Like
    AC compressor line connector? It would be nice if there was a connector that would marry the Subaru compressor to the Vintage Air system, but I had the 2 donor tubes welded to the 2 tubes from Vintage Air. See post #12 above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    AC compressor line connector? It would be nice if there was a connector that would marry the Subaru compressor to the Vintage Air system, but I had the 2 donor tubes welded to the 2 tubes from Vintage Air. See post #12 above.
    I was referring to the compression fittings that were used in lieu of welding. I am at that part of my build and am exploring options. I do not have access to welding them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carlsonmj, I'm not sure what you mean. As far as I know, there is no compression fitting that connects the Vintage Air system to the Subaru compressor. If it exists, we'd all like to know, but I had my lines welded by an A/C shop since I couldn't do it.

BTW, I had a PM this morning asking for my pdf of A/C info, but somehow I lost that PM. If it was you, please resend the PM and I'll email the pdf.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Variable displacement compressors will not work properly with a VA system, but many can be converted from variable to fixed, if you can find the refrigerant control valve and with either plug is or remove o-rings so it's always in full flow mode.

Some valves are accessible from the exterior of the compressor, but obviously don't mess with a charged system.

You can find a few articles on converting a variable displacement compressor to fixed with a google search.

Post Thanks / Like
    Subaru compressor is called variable but it
    is not and is proven to work just fine without
    any changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    DaveS53 & frankc5r, you are both correct.
    Dave, you are correct that a variable compressor will not work with the VA system - but the Subaru compressor is NOT variable displacement.
    frankc5r, you are correct that the Subaru compressor is not the variable type and works just fine with the Vintage Air system. I know for sure because my 818 A/C works perfectly with VA and the Subaru compressor . . . now after nearly a year in the Arizona desert.

When I started planning for HVAC, the Vintage Air tech guys told me the Subaru compressor wouldn't work because it is a variable displacement compressor. I found that the Subaru factory service manual lists the compressor as "vane rotary, fix volume". When I told the VA tech guys, they conceded it "might" work. Once my system was plumbed and charged, it worked perfectly, so even if VA tech says the donor compressor won't work - it will! It is Fixed Displacement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! I just sent you a PM. Had a question about the vacuum line for the heater control valve. Do you run a vacuum line all the way back from the control valve?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I ran a vacuum line all the way back to the intake port that was previously used for the donor vacuum brake booster. But, I think that someone said that the new Vintage Air Mini unit has an electric heater control valve . . if you have the new mini unit.