Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Daytime running lights Vs clearance lights

Post Thanks / Like

Daytime running lights Vs clearance lights

After reading through several threads, I am a bit confused as to the distinction between Daytime running lights and clearance lights. I have an 05 donor, and I cannot find a wiring schematic for any Daytime running lights, but they are referenced in the clearance lights section. Do the Daytime running lights have an independent switch or relay that is not a part of the clearance light system?

BTW, my "clearance" lights work front and back, along with the park lights (separate switch and the hazards and signal lights. I'm just not certain if this means that the Daytime running lights also work.

Regards,

Dave
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    DRL function is where your headlights run at half brightness at all times. To confirm its working turn the key to ignition and check if your headlights are on at half brightness. IMHO the DRLs look dumb and should be deleted by removing the DRL resistor at the B5 connector.
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, your parking brake needs to be off in order for the DRL's to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchStone View Post
    DRL function is where your headlights run at half brightness at all times. To confirm its working turn the key to ignition and check if your headlights are on at half brightness. IMHO the DRLs look dumb and should be deleted by removing the DRL resistor at the B5 connector.
    Given the 818's low profile and therefore low visibility to other drivers, you may want to keep the DRL even if they aren't required. Anything that helps the bozos see you is a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchStone View Post
    Now this makes a lot more sense to me. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get power to the low beam or high beam bulbs at all. All other lights work, and the relays seem to be fine also. I'm quite stumped on this issue. Any ideas?
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathletedave View Post
    Now this makes a lot more sense to me. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get power to the low beam or high beam bulbs at all. All other lights work, and the relays seem to be fine also. I'm quite stumped on this issue. Any ideas?
    Dave
    Lets see if you have 12 volt on the red/blue wire out of the main fuse box.

Attached Images Attached Images
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, turn the key to the ON position. This gives 12V to the IG (ignition) wires.

Debug work:
    1: Verify all connections. Including steering wheel column light switch, ground connections and relays
    2: Check for 12V between the frame (Gnd) and headlight wires. (Since the bulbs are off all wires should read 12V)
    3: Check bulbs
    4: Check fuses
    5: Check Relays
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty kurty View Post
    Given the 818's low profile and therefore low visibility to other drivers, you may want to keep the DRL even if they aren't required. Anything that helps the bozos see you is a good thing.
    No offence, but if your worried about visibility then turn your headlights on since its brighter than the DRL. This way you can control the goofiness. Also its proven that DRLs, like having a 3rd brake light, is ineffective at preventing crashes.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811029.pdf
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I tested the fuse in position 8 while the ignition and switch was on. I got a 12 volt reading, but still nothing at the bulbs ��

I'm going to try to bench test each relay, but not sure f that is the source of the problem. Is it possible that the lights will not work if there is an issue with the E-brake switch?
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ok, I tested the fuse in position 8 while the ignition and switch was on. I got a 12 volt reading, but still nothing at the bulbs ��

I'm going to try to bench test each relay, but not sure f that is the source of the problem. Is it possible that the lights will not work if there is an issue with the E-brake switch?
    The lights don't care about the E-brake. It sounds like you are missing a ground.
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,
    since you have power of fuse #8 in the main fuse box.
    Start following the red/blue wire from the main fuse. It goes straight to the head lights.
    Check along the way to see where you lose power.
    I high lighted it on the schem. I sent.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Dave,
    since you have power of fuse #8 in the main fuse box.
    Start following the red/blue wire from the main fuse. It goes straight to the head lights.
    Check along the way to see where you lose power.
    I high lighted it on the schem. I sent.
    Bob
    Bob:
    I tested the relays and headlight circuits again. I seem to have power coming into the headlight relay, and the relay works in a bench test, but the relay does NOT seem to work when installed in the main fuse box. How can that be? I also cannot read 12 volts coming into each headlight fuse now (confirming that the relay does not work?). Is there any reason why the relays would both work in a bench test, but not in the fuse box?

BTW, I am using a brand new battery in the car, and most other electrical systems are working.

Dave
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob:
    I tested the relays and headlight circuits again. I seem to have power coming into the headlight relay, and the relay works in a bench test, but the relay does NOT seem to work when installed in the main fuse box. How can that be? I also cannot read 12 volts coming into each headlight fuse now (confirming that the relay does not work?). Is there any reason why the relays would both work in a bench test, but not in the fuse box?

BTW, I am using a brand new battery in the car, and most other electrical systems are working.

Dave
    Dave
    check the 10 amp fuse# 13 in the tan fuse box. It supplies ignition power to the head light relay.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Dave
    check the 10 amp fuse# 13 in the tan fuse box. It supplies ignition power to the head light relay.
    Bob
    Sure enough! The 10 amp fuse in position #13 was blown. I replaced it twice, but the new fuse blows as soon as any power is applied. I must have a short, but where should I start looking?
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure enough! The 10 amp fuse in position #13 was blown. I replaced it twice, but the new fuse blows as soon as any power is applied. I must have a short, but where should I start looking?
    Dave
    You need to check what is shorting out that fuse and start disconnecting until the fuse doesn't blow.
    It is a red with white stripe.
    It goes to the:
    head light relays in the main fuse box.
    Power to the cluster
    Power to the high beam relay
    power to the tail light relay
    Power to the daytime running light module.

Hope this helps.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Headlight issue has been resolved. I found a ground wire on the rear lights and accessories section (GB5) that was not attached properly. As soon as I grounded it, I have both low beams and high beams working.

Lesson learned here is to attach every ground wire on the harness, whether you think you need it or not! I almost deleted the accessory wires and ground wire.

Now I need to sort out the tach and fuel gauge. Both were working, but stopped working just recently. I hope the solution to these are a bit easier to identify!

Thanks for the help everyone! I certainly could not do any of this without your help and input!

Regards,

Dave
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    Calgary, Alberta