BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 65 Coupe Wanted

Post Thanks / Like

65 Coupe Wanted

Total newbie here -- i am looking to buy a finished or nearly finished Coupe. There are a couple for sale that i am looking at which are with dealers. One is the Silver with Black strip car at Flemmings. They are listing it at roughly 70k. The other is also Silver and Black at the Miami Barn and listing for 50k. I should also mention that i will be financing this purchase

Does anyone know these cars and have advice? What should i expect to pay for a good car but does not have to have a 750hp trick motor. I want this as a daily driver (i don't do a huge amount of miles each year about 3k miles)

Any advice would be gratefully listened too.

Many thanks in advance

Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be happy to build you one
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    I would be happy to build you one

What price would your build be in the range of? Also what would the timing be like from start to finish

many thanks

Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you from? I have one local to me in MA that is up for sale.

Mike

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JML View Post
    Total newbie here -- i am looking to buy a finished or nearly finished Coupe. There are a couple for sale that i am looking at which are with dealers. One is the Silver with Black strip car at Flemmings. They are listing it at roughly 70k. The other is also Silver and Black at the Miami Barn and listing for 50k. I should also mention that i will be financing this purchase

Does anyone know these cars and have advice? What should i expect to pay for a good car but does not have to have a 750hp trick motor. I want this as a daily driver (i don't do a huge amount of miles each year about 3k miles)

Many thanks in advance

Justin
    PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Justin, give me a call at 520-494-2745 and we can talk about your wants.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Completed used ones from a private party usually sell between 30-50k. If buying from a car dealer expect them to ask quite a bit more.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Justin,

I saw the video presentation of the Silver/Black coupe at Flemmings. The salesman either did not know what he was talking about or he was deliberately misleading with info:
    1. He represented the wheels as genuine "knock-off" wheels, when in reality they are fake knock-offs.
    2. He kept stressing the 4 wheel independent suspension when in fact the rear suspension was Factory Five 3-link live axle.
    3. Mentioned that you could easily mount a stereo system in the dash ... not true, the area behind the dash is packed full.
    4. The horsepower estimate was quite optimistic for a 302 cubic inch motor.

The car looked like a pretty nice build but worth about half what they are asking for it ... 70K, you've got to be kidding.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    There have been several for sale on the forums recently. Might want to follow up on those.
    One just went for $18K although that is an oddball price. It all depends on your wish list and build quality.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Bopp View Post
    Justin,

I saw the video presentation of the Silver/Black coupe at Flemmings. The salesman either did not know what he was talking about or he was deliberately misleading with info:
    1. He represented the wheels as genuine "knock-off" wheels, when in reality they are fake knock-offs.
    2. He kept stressing the 4 wheel independent suspension when in fact the rear suspension was Factory Five 3-link live axle.
    3. Mentioned that you could easily mount a stereo system in the dash ... not true, the area behind the dash is packed full.
    4. The horsepower estimate was quite optimistic for a 302 cubic inch motor.

The car looked like a pretty nice build but worth about half what they are asking for it ... 70K, you've got to be kidding.

Garry
    I hear you. There is a FFR Coupe for sale at a car dealer locally and they are asking 78k. They state the paint, body and finish are 2nd to none with no visible seams, etc.. I looked at the car in person and thought it was worth 40k at best, and could clearly see a seam on the passenger side. I would never buy one of these from a used car dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

Type 65 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JML View Post

Many thanks in advance

Justin
    justin where are yo located

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all very much for the replies i think i can safely say that this forum has saved me 20-30k already!!

I am based in Venice CA - are there any 65's near me? Would be great to take a look at one in person and chat with someone that has built one.

I think i am inclined to buy a finished car -- i need to finance this purchase so it seems as a titled car will be the only thing a finance company will look at. Has anyone a good recco here in this regard. I know people don't like recommending banks i am just looking for companies who have financed this kind of vehicle before.

Thanks again for everyone's help it's brilliant

JML

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Michael

I am in Venice CA but can travel anywhere in the states for the car. Do you have any details, photos price wanted?

best

JML

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Justin,

Mine is for sale, and I live fairly close (Tucson.) It's advertised on ffcars and Club Cobra. Shoot me an email if you're interested!

Davecoupe6.jpg

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/18-fact...lph-coupe.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I recognize this is a relatively old thread but after reading it, I had to respond. My brother and I have built four FFR cars including two roadsters and two coupes. I generally get on this forum to gleam nuggets of knowledge. Sadly, that was not the case in reading this thread. To summarize, a newbie gets on line to ask for advice about a buying a coupe. (smart man) I then proceed to read the next half dozen replies bad mouth FFR products and cars by saying you should be able to buy a coupe for $20-30K less than many of the posted asking prices. It is bad enough I have to listen to people badmouth Factory Five products in Dallas/Fort Worth by saying they are the low end chevrolets of the replica car market. Interesting because I have put over 20,000 miles on my roadster. It has never left me on the side of the road like many of my friends in others makes of Cobras when we go out driving. I have driven my roadster on the PCH, badlands of South Dakota, Hwy 550 in Colorado, the Smokey Mountains, etc. It has never missed a beat. Recently drove my coupe in the Big Bend Open Road Race last year. BBORR is a 118 mile road race on a Texas state highway full of sweepers, bends, curves etc. Coupe never dropped below 120 mph for the entire length. I started to turn on the air conditioning but didn't want to stress the compressor. Water was 205 and oil was 210 in 90 degrees plus heat. My point to all this is I tried to build a quality, bullitt-proof car. I am no different than the majority of other FFR owners that build their cars. For people to say you should be able to buy a quality coupe for $30-40k is just badmouthing these cars. I have over $70k in my coupe not including labor. For those of us that build our cars, we know that labor is a throwaway. You get nothing for it. To say a car is worth half the asking price without seeing the car in person is ridiculous. All you accomplish by that is downgrading our cars and confirming what some other unknowledgeable people say about FFR. My coupe is not finished out like a Superformance but the value for the money is much better. My coupe sitting beside a Superformance looks just as good and would sell for $60-70k less than the other car. No wonder some people don't appreciate FFR when some of our own clan are part of the problem. No wonder people sell some of these cars for such a low amount. Just my thoughts. Sorry for the length of the response but the initial thread really was disappointing.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eldorado,

I've owned a coupe for quite a few years, 18,000 miles on it. Sold it 6 months ago. I got a pretty good price for it, $46K and felt that was fair, though I lost money on the deal, I did get years of fun and entertainment out of my coupe!

Did you perhaps check out the video link on the coupe I was commenting on. I wasn't dissing the quality of the build ... just inaccurate/misleading information. For the price they were asking, this coupe should have had more content, IMHO.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado View Post
    I recognize this is a relatively old thread but after reading it, I had to respond. My brother and I have built four FFR cars including two roadsters and two coupes. I generally get on this forum to gleam nuggets of knowledge. Sadly, that was not the case in reading this thread. To summarize, a newbie gets on line to ask for advice about a buying a coupe. (smart man) I then proceed to read the next half dozen replies bad mouth FFR products and cars by saying you should be able to buy a coupe for $20-30K less than many of the posted asking prices. It is bad enough I have to listen to people badmouth Factory Five products in Dallas/Fort Worth by saying they are the low end chevrolets of the replica car market. Interesting because I have put over 20,000 miles on my roadster. It has never left me on the side of the road like many of my friends in others makes of Cobras when we go out driving. I have driven my roadster on the PCH, badlands of South Dakota, Hwy 550 in Colorado, the Smokey Mountains, etc. It has never missed a beat. Recently drove my coupe in the Big Bend Open Road Race last year. BBORR is a 118 mile road race on a Texas state highway full of sweepers, bends, curves etc. Coupe never dropped below 120 mph for the entire length. I started to turn on the air conditioning but didn't want to stress the compressor. Water was 205 and oil was 210 in 90 degrees plus heat. My point to all this is I tried to build a quality, bullitt-proof car. I am no different than the majority of other FFR owners that build their cars. For people to say you should be able to buy a quality coupe for $30-40k is just badmouthing these cars. I have over $70k in my coupe not including labor. For those of us that build our cars, we know that labor is a throwaway. You get nothing for it. To say a car is worth half the asking price without seeing the car in person is ridiculous. All you accomplish by that is downgrading our cars and confirming what some other unknowledgeable people say about FFR. My coupe is not finished out like a Superformance but the value for the money is much better. My coupe sitting beside a Superformance looks just as good and would sell for $60-70k less than the other car. No wonder some people don't appreciate FFR when some of our own clan are part of the problem. No wonder people sell some of these cars for such a low amount. Just my thoughts. Sorry for the length of the response but the initial thread really was disappointing.
    Personally, I think FFR has a much better reputation now than it did years ago when most cars were donor builds. Stating what the general current market is for a used vehicle is hardly a put down and relates directly to the thread starters question. Should he buy a car from a used car dealer that doubled the price for what they paid and misrepresents the build? Not saying they all do that, but I've seen it too many times for it to be an anomaly.

Regarding the SPF Coupes, kind of irrelevent for comparison as it's a factory built car that has become a collector item and serves a different demographic.

No doubt you love your car. I love mine as well. Why do you find it insulting if you build a car for 35-70k, drive and race it for years, and then sell it used in the 30-50k range? I wish my other vehicles held their value as well. Cheers.