Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  29
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew's 818S - LYTW8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    Thanks, Kurk. I'll use that as my reference. I'll probably weld a plate into the rear driveshaft output hole and blend it smooth. Same goes for the oiling port. I plan to take pictures.
    If you have the ability to weld it, its definitely the way to go. Please post photos when you get to it in the 6speed install thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well my plans to mill the rear output shaft off the transmission and weld the hole were ruined yesterday morning. I pulled off the rear case and to my dismay the transmission was missing the center differential. From the damage to the case, clearly the diff grenaded. Parts from the diff spread everywhere. It's pretty messed up. The seller isn't accepting responsibility and won't give me a refund, but I suspect the Paypal dispute I started and fraud charges I file on Monday with the Virginia AG (his state) will get him in line.

Now some pictures...

Post Thanks / Like

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man, what a bummer. Where did you find the seller (eBay, NASIOC, CL, etc)? Good thing for PayPal though; I'm sure you'll get it sorted out just fine, and you still have a long winter to locate a good 6 speed and get started on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Oh man, what a bummer. Where did you find the seller (eBay, NASIOC, CL, etc)? Good thing for PayPal though; I'm sure you'll get it sorted out just fine, and you still have a long winter to locate a good 6 speed and get started on it.
    I bought it off of a guy on NASIOC. The seller was incorrigible. He wouldn't accept that there was something wrong with the transmission not having a center differential and blamed it on the "guy" he got the transmission from. I could hardly believe it. I can only imagine what someone would have done if they had installed this transmission into a Subaru, found out that it couldn't move the car, then removed it to discover what I had found. I have around 10 hours into cleaning and dissecting the transmission to understand exactly what was wrong with it.

Everything will work out between PayPal and my credit card. I had a little hope to get the car back on the road for one drive before the snow set in for the winter. I've got my eye on another transmission already. They're pretty abundant. Once I get my money back I'll pull the trigger on something else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that's horrible. Can't believe someone would do that!
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest beef with the car scene are dead beat sellers.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Basic statistics, large sample, for every honest Abe there is a crook, for every car savant there's an idiot. Our entire society has low moral fiber, reinforced by our continued pounding by marketing that is best described as propaganda. You just have to protect yourself as best you can.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Photo storage full
    Last edited by Aero STI; 08-20-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that clutch disc. I had that happen to me in a 1983 Rabbit GTI that I swapped a Corrado G60 engine into back in the late 90's. But it didn't fail due to the transmission. A piece just came off from the torque and started rattling around inside the bell housing. I could hear something but wasn't quite sure what it was. Then one day as it fluttered around in there, it got caught between the bell-housing and the flywheel and was rammed right through the transmission case into the transmission resulting in all the oil leaking out.

I'll be interested to see how that clutch feels after you have broken it in. Keep us posted. Love that up-pipe! Which header is that?

Post Thanks / Like
    The header is a full race knockoff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-IMPRE...-/271267573373

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting.... how is the quality?

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting.... how is the quality?
    The flanges needed some surfacing to get them real flat. No cracks yet. The stainless is high quality, probably 16 gauge. Overall I would recommend these for the price. The header wrap may be the death of them.

The seller I bought mine from claimed that they were genuine full race. I knew the price was too good to be true so I didn't believe it going in to the purchase. There are other good twin scroll headers out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my center console from Wayne. I'm very excited to make the interior look so much more like that of a production car.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that's going to look slick! Can't wait to see the finished product. I got rid of my console, though I do still have my dash. I think my shifter is probably placed at a position that wouldn't line up with the console though. Same for e-brake I'm sure, when I finally install it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the center console and the head unit trim installed with the factory ABS dash panel. I will be attempting to install the factory dash panel as well at some point. My two three items of concern are the steering column alignment with the the recess, height of the head unit trim and the side to side fitment of the center console as it relates to the dash and the steering column. Im interested in seeing how this all plays out for you and hopefully get some lessons learned from you

Have you already mounted the ebrake and shifter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk818 View Post
    I have the center console and the head unit trim installed with the factory ABS dash panel. I will be attempting to install the factory dash panel as well at some point. My two three items of concern are the steering column alignment with the the recess, height of the head unit trim and the side to side fitment of the center console as it relates to the dash and the steering column. Im interested in seeing how this all plays out for you and hopefully get some lessons learned from you

Have you already mounted the ebrake and shifter?
    Kurk, yeah your center console was part of my inspiration. It looks awesome. The shifter and ebrake were previously mounted so I could drive the car last year. I suspect they will need to move a little, but it looks pretty close so far.

The console will have to be slightly off center left-right, cutting more into one door than the other, and then the steering wheel will also still be slightly off center because it would look weird to go the full distance needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Photo storage full
    Last edited by Aero STI; 08-20-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, it really makes the back look like a Lambo

Guessing that initial welding of the disk might have been a challenge.... always tough when welding a big thick aluminum piece to a thin small piece.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hah! I was just showing the marketing guy at work the sesto elemento. I told him "don't hide it, make it a focal point on purpose!"
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Hah! I was just showing the marketing guy at work the sesto elemento. I told him "don't hide it, make it a focal point on purpose!"
    The focal point was way to the left.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, it really makes the back look like a Lambo

Guessing that initial welding of the disk might have been a challenge.... always tough when welding a big thick aluminum piece to a thin small piece.
    There wasn't much drama. I cut the 2" round rod to about 1/4" thick, not exactly thin. I thought I might be able to get enough penetration that I could finish the case perfectly flat with no weld showing. No dice without a serious bevel added and I didn't have time for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Your taillight post inspired me. I considered having it sent off to be anodized, but I decided that I didn't want to pull the reverse lockout mechanism and shift rod bearing/seal.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    66. When behind another Subie, you habitually recognize the Subie rear differential... like dogs sniffing each other's balls.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    How goes the progress?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like what you did with your dash. What year is that, and did you have to cut the sides?
    I got my inspiration from Kirk originally and am working on more of a production look as well, but I was planning on using the FFR dash till now...... maybe I need to source a new dash.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing major to report at the moment.

The dash isn't fully mounted, but the doors will likely be carved out to accommodate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Photo storage full

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice progress. Spring is right around the corner.
    Last edited by Hindsight; 03-11-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That tranny and cover look amazing. I may have to copy you and do a contrasting color nice work

Post Thanks / Like
    Photo storage full

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great a pioneer! let me know how your solid mounts feel, I really want to do msi mounts but concerned it may be too much vibration for the frame.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow those mounts are slick looking! Are they a little higher to help level off the trans? They appear to be a bit higher than stock anyway. I too am curious about vibration. Let us know how it feels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Great a pioneer! let me know how your solid mounts feel, I really want to do msi mounts but concerned it may be too much vibration for the frame.
    ++ 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I welded my stock engine mounts solid and didn't notice any major difference in NVH. I did end up cracking them though. My welds held strong but the material I used (1/8") was too thin.

THe MSI mounts look good.

Everything is OEM height according to the manufacturer.
    https://www.aluminati.us/collections...d-motor-mounts

Post Thanks / Like
    Photo storage full

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff, bet you can't wait to test it out. Very interested in seeing what you think of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    good stuff man, looking forward to the 6 speed putting the power down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Aero STI; 08-20-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, congrats on getting it all wrapped up!! Just in time for spring too. Has to be a good feeling.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast