Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  29
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew's 818S - LYTW8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Yes. I kinda got a shrug and its hand shaped molds so there are slight variations.
    Seems to be the common theme. That's unfortunate because the splitter isn't exactly something that can be massaged into place.

Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Op, did you contact ffr about the condition of your fenders upon their arrival? That's pretty poor.

Fireblade - more details? What about the splitter doesn't fit? Too wide?
    No, I haven't contacted them yet. I wanted to see how things fit together and see if there are any other significant flaws that I missed. I highly doubt they'll do anything. 3 years of direct interaction and a few years before that lurking and monitoring their activity would suggest customer service is not their strong suit.
    Last edited by Aero STI; 05-04-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Darn, sorry to hear about the quality issue Andrew. But I am looking forward to seeing it all put together on your car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started sanding the seems on the new front fenders and also painted the headlight buckets with gloss black.

I took 07FIREBLADE's lead and ordered the Eagle Eye LEDs, except I went with their switchbacks so that I'll have white DRL and then have all four lights as amber for turn signals.

http://www.amazon.com/Everbright-8-P.../dp/B00X5NI9HU

All 8 LEDs tested as good so far. I'll give them a good test cycle before I seal up the headlights. That won't happen until FFR figures out the headlight lens issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    In an effort to make the interior look even more like it came from a real car factory, I ordered up some BRZ door panels. They're the perfect height, basically the perfect length, but will need some pretty serious custom work to match the lower door radius. I'm up for the challenge.

Last edited by Aero STI; 08-20-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    One more video of the car's ability to create prodigious amounts of tire smoke

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking forward to see how make those door panels work because they look good so far. Can you explain what the headlight lens issue is?
    (I had to open windows to get the smoke out of my office after watching your vid! )
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    The video and the numbers are quite impressive. So much so that I had to back-up and read all your posts. You've done so many neat things to the car.
    As I get it you are running E85 in a stock EJ255 out of 2006 WRX. What is your boost? I just can't imagine the engine holding together at the numbers you've mentioned, even at 430 WHP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    The video and the numbers are quite impressive. So much so that I had to back-up and read all your posts. You've done so many neat things to the car.
    As I get it you are running E85 in a stock EJ255 out of 2006 WRX. What is your boost? I just can't imagine the engine holding together at the numbers you've mentioned, even at 430 WHP.
    Glyn, the motor is stock. I'm running 27 PSI peak. I'm still working with Phatron on refining the tune. I believe we're around 60 revisions at this point. He's awesome.

I would expect to crack a ringland or bend a rod by now, but over 1000 miles at these power levels and holding strong.

I've been breaking and rebuilding Subarus since 2005 and I've had good luck pushing a handful of stock motors to pretty absurd power levels. I usually like to take a wait and see approach on these things.

Post Thanks / Like
    27! I've been a little over 26 (due to sticky wastegate). My mildly modded, stock bottom end motor with CP pistons, ran like a banshee. That was on 100 octane. It was dyno'ed to make 395 @ 24PSI. I got 70 hours out of that motor.
    I understand E85 runs cooler, so less of a piston burning issue. I'm surprised that you can get away with 1000 cc injectors.
    I like your attitude, though. Sort of throw-away motors.

Thanks for the tip about the mag cleaner/etch. Got me to thinking and looking at metal preps. I have some and often use them though I try to use my blasting cabinet as often as possible and then immediately go to solvents and a final acetone wipe before going to paint. I have spent a lot of time with parts just to make them friendly to handle; not for cosmetic purposes. The Subaru castings can be really nasty, with their casting spikes sticking up and sharp edges. I like the finish on my intake that I coarse blasted and clear-coated.
    Last edited by Scargo; 05-23-2016 at 06:48 AM. Reason: more comments added.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tnx for the LED tip!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    I'm looking forward to see how make those door panels work because they look good so far. Can you explain what the headlight lens issue is?
    (I had to open windows to get the smoke out of my office after watching your vid! )
    Hey Pete, FFR is having issues with their supplier delivering the piece of acrylic that covers the headlight bucket. I'm not sure if it's simply a slow supply or quality problems. They sent my front end conversion, along with many others', without the lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just bought your LED switchbacks, tnx again.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    New wheels and tires... 225 front 265 rear

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! I figured you'd be pulling the trigger on tires after that last video. Wheels look great. I bet the new setup has much better traction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Loving the wheel/tire combo. Suites the car nicely.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    look at that scenery! car looks great

CDpXjbrh.jpg
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great stuff! Do you have a pic of the rear tire how close to the fender lip it is? Does it stick out a little bit, inside, or flush with lip?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you everyone for the compliments on the new wheel/tire combo. I love the "Pure Michigan" addition to the picture. The wheels are Enkei TY-5 in "Painted Black". 18x8 et45 front and 18x9.5 et45 rear. I went with Hankook RS-3 tires 225/40R18 and 265/35R18. They're so much better than the V12s. I actually have a brand new set of RE11s to put on the wheels that the V12s are currently on, but there are a couple more epic burnouts left in the V12s.

Frank, I've been running 1.5" rear spacers on each side. These were purchased to properly space some factory 17" WRX wheels (shown in other pictures of mine). The current wheels and tires stick out a little under an inch. I'm going down to 15mm spacers. I'll take a picture of the "flushness" once the new spacers are installed.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll be running a 9.5 +40 in the rear but I am yet undecided on rear tire size. I'd love to run a 275/35R18... i'm looking forward to seeing your setup with no a smaller spacer.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll get better shots with my SLR when the new spacers are installed.

A few more parts that I will be installing soon. S2000 mirrors like 07FIREBLADE.

Last edited by Aero STI; 08-20-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    What color are you painting it? I'm still stuck. Leaning toward a non-metallic gloss grey, or a pearl orange. Probably do the grey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    What color are you painting it? I'm still stuck. Leaning toward a non-metallic gloss grey, or a pearl orange. Probably do the grey.
    I really like the way the car looks with cyber gray metallic (like Lumpyguys'), especially because I have all of the carbon and black accents.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told to give the car a good thrashing and log it. The RS-3 tires are awesome. It's fun to have traction.
    Last edited by Aero STI; 08-20-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow....I think that was 60-120 in about 3 seconds

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    I started sanding the seems on the new front fenders and also painted the headlight buckets with gloss black.

I took 07FIREBLADE's lead and ordered the Eagle Eye LEDs, except I went with their switchbacks so that I'll have white DRL and then have all four lights as amber for turn signals.

http://www.amazon.com/Everbright-8-P.../dp/B00X5NI9HU

All 8 LEDs tested as good so far. I'll give them a good test cycle before I seal up the headlights. That won't happen until FFR figures out the headlight lens issue.
    Sorry, what is the headlight lens issue? I have some with my headlight kit, but I have not done anything with them yet. Is there something I should be looking for/aware of?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that's incredible. Makes me want to get a 7163!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    Sorry, what is the headlight lens issue? I have some with my headlight kit, but I have not done anything with them yet. Is there something I should be looking for/aware of?
    FFR is having trouble with the manufacturer of the headlight lenses. I still haven't received mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Wow, that's incredible. Makes me want to get a 7163!
    It's a lot of fun. I still have a lot of headroom for more power if the boost was cranked up more, probably 50-75 more WHP.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started making progress on the BRZ door panel fitment. I'm going to have the top edge of the door panel exposed so it forms a softer edge on the top of the door for someone's arm to rest on. I'll utilize as many factory fasteners as possible.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that's really going to look awesome when all the trim and handles are in. Very ambitious!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to admit, the driver's door is looking awesome. I'm going fill the top edge seem as part of the painting process. It can be pulled in tighter than what is seen in the pictures. However, doing that makes it harder to take off so I didn't go hole hog for the pics. The edge of the door that was cut to shape will also get a U shaped trim piece glassed and filled to mate with the door and the panel. The side of the dash needed some pretty good relief. I plan to make a fiberglass piece to cap the side of the dash. It took a huge amount of work taking it off and on probably 50 times, but the next door should go smoother.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW that looks incredible! Much, much more OEM looking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Impossible... you've made the impossible true. The truth really is out there, Mulder!
    You gotta tell FFR about what you did, they will twitter and facebook your pix!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice job on the door and your entire interior. Maybe the nicest looking on the forum.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work on the door panel. What's your plan for the switches? Can you repurpose them for interior lights or something?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the compliments. It wasn't easy so far and there is still plenty left to do, but I think the interior is really coming together.

I'm going to be installing s2000 mirrors and plan to have them powered, so I'll use that switch. Maybe the others can be used for something. I don't have any ideas at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could just wire up the mirrors to the brz switch. That's what I'm using for my s2000 mirrors. Very bold move on the door panels. People need to keep in mind that this will not work very well with the coupe unfortunately

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to use the BRZ mirror switch. Glad to hear it's working for you.

I actually think that these door panels could be made to work with the coupe. You would use the factory seal on the door panel to butt up against the window.

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem I'm seeing is that it's not shallow enough to work with the window motor. What latch do you plan on using? The Wrx or the brz? I would love to have these work. But the way ffr designed the new door frames and the way the motor fits inside it doesn't seem feasible. I'm not knocking you at all. I love the look could you lay the drivers door panel in the passenger side and take a sharpie to see how much is trimmed. Also maybe a panel depth measurement. I have to go remeasure but the ffr new ones are half the depth as the original panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    The problem I'm seeing is that it's not shallow enough to work with the window motor. What latch do you plan on using? The Wrx or the brz? I would love to have these work. But the way ffr designed the new door frames and the way the motor fits inside it doesn't seem feasible. I'm not knocking you at all. I love the look could you lay the drivers door panel in the passenger side and take a sharpie to see how much is trimmed. Also maybe a panel depth measurement. I have to go remeasure but the ffr new ones are half the depth as the original panels.
    Great Job Aero,
    There was a guy at Grissom yesterday that saw my car and thought you might be there.

Fireblade,
    A agree with you that this probably won't work with the coupe windows. But, for us 818S Roadster guys, this looks great. I talked to Tony at FFR. If I remember correctly he said 818s and 818c sales are 50/50.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 06-06-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast