BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDubU Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

KDubU Build Thread

Scheduled to pickup my kit on 09/05 and have been busy collecting the additional tools required. Also received the Gas-N pipes and picked up the rear-end from Mike Forte.

Post Thanks / Like
    Decided to get myself moving and painted the rear-end. Needed a little help so brought out my Kubota.

And got down to painting

Last edited by KDubU; 08-29-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good! What did you use to paint that rear? I'm trying to decide is rattle can paint is sufficient. Lots of people tend to prefer POM15, but in the next breath comment on how it quickly chips off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used VRT and it was already primed by Mike. I hummed and hawed over POR-15 as well but think it's overkill plus it's best used on rough and rusted metal. Did not know how it would take to mine already primed but it supposedly is really tough. I believe chipping of POR-15 must be due to prep as painting anything requires thorough prep otherwise it won't last.

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting ready to drive down tomorrow to pick-up my kit. Have everything ready to go including trailer, foam to protect the frame powder coating and tie-downs. Now just need to hope for a decent drive with as little traffic as possible but it is a holiday weekend so who knows. Only issues I have right now are my brakes have not arrived from Gordon yet, he's working on it. I also need to eventually decide on tires and I think I will go with Mickey Thompsons, Front 235/60x15 Rear 295/50x15.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Kyle,

Best of luck with the pickup. Don't forget your camera! And say hey to Dave and the gang from all of us.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David. Will do.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Arrived at FF at 8:15 and started to get everything loaded by 8:30. We were all done by 9:30.

After almost three hour drive home due to lots of traffic, got the Kubota out and with my wife driving and me holding the car steady we got her in the garage.

Tomorrow I'll put the body on the buck and start to inventory.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Christmas in September!

Post Thanks / Like
    Post more pictures. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the inventory completed. Missing parts include steering wheel, windshield and roll bars. Nothing that will stop me moving forward. The missing brakes have me greatly concerned however.

Got it on the buck in the other garage and now just need to raise it to the ceiling.

Ready to tackle the aluminum panels tomorrow.

Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been remiss at posting. Drilled out all the aluminum and removed it from the chassis. Moved onto the front suspension and found that I did not have the chamfered spacer to go below the castle nut on the lower ball joint. Looked everywhere in all boxes and then reviewed the packing list. Thought it would be in the same box as the LCA's however my LCA's were packed into a separate box on pickup day along with a few other parts that I guess we're last minute items. So after looking and looking and even using another spacer, I asked EdwardB and he gave me the part number. Turns out it's named as a washer on the packing list and not a spacer so back to looking through the boxes again. Did not find the. So called FF and they are expected to arrive today. In the meantime moved onto the rear-end.

Worked on the rear-end while waiting on missing spacers for the front suspension. All has gone well with the exception of my concern with the DS rear brake. It was hard to get the caliper to center and after a lot of adding and removing spacers I got it as close as I can. The problem is it's a snug fit for the outside brake pad enough that I need to use needle-nose pliers to remove it. These are 11" from Gordon for my 15" wheels. Note that the rotor is sitting flush.

Pad in question on right:

Side view:

Top view:

The passenger side went on no problem.

Note nothing is tighten down with locktite with the exception of the brake bracket to the axle flange.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Just received the missing spacers that go between the spindle and castle nut on the LCA. Definitely did not have these in my kit thankfully FF shipped them out quick. Now to button up the front suspension.

Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How did reversing the calipers work out? Let me know if you need any reference pics...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    That solved the issue. I should have gone with my hunch yesterday but I can be stubborn. At least I am learning a lot doing things twice!
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    .../At least I am learning a lot doing things twice!
    That won't be the last time you make THAT statement. I'm almost done with my second build and the same thing applies. That's a major part of the fun - figuring stuff out - IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    These arrived today. Read very good reviews of the MT's.

Going to pickup some missing spacers today and. Wrap up the 3-link.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got the spacers to finalize the 3-link.

Installed the PS rack with no issues.

Got a number of panels painted and will wait until tomorrow to install.

Last edited by KDubU; 09-20-2015 at 05:14 PM.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like

...Installed the PS rack with no issues.

Well actually you do have issues---the tie rods install from below the steering arm, not above. They should be like this:

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    And those jack stands are dangerously close to the ends of those frame tubes. I'd move them back as far as the X-brace. The frame is light enough to slide around quite easily at this point in the game.
    Mk 4 roadster #8495 delivered on 12-23-2014. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...r-Build-Thread Carbureted 4.6 SOHC, C-4 auto with manual valve body. Fox width rear with 2.73 gear. First start video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ie...ature=youtu.be

Post Thanks / Like
    Fixed both, thanks guys.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Kyle, Your making great progress. Hopefully we can roll out our cars at a similar time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kyle,
    I think your UCAs (or at least the ends) may need to be flipped. As far as I know, the threaded end of the ball joint should face OUT when the UCA is held horizontal.
    FFR_UCA_BJ.png
    (pg 35 of the complete kit manual)

In that case, the link with the bolt should be FORWARD on the passenger side and to the BACK on the driver's side. I have fox spindles, but as far as I know, with the angled UCAs, the ball joints should point out from the bottom.

If I'm right, I'll be surprised that Jeff didn't catch it first.

-Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kgkeys View Post

If I'm right, I'll be surprised that Jeff didn't catch it first.

-Kyle
    Kyle is correct (guess I zeroed in on the upside down tie rods and didn't notice the UCA error )

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Follow up on missing spacers/washers

Just received the missing spacers that go between the spindle and castle nut on the LCA. Definitely did not have these in my kit thankfully FF shipped them out quick. Now to button up the front suspension.

I too am having the problem of the missing spacers/washers for the LCAs. Any chance you could post or PM the part number for them?

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcoleman View Post
    I too am having the problem of the missing spacers/washers for the LCAs. Any chance you could post or PM the part number for them?

Thanks for the help!
    I believe they are part 15803 and they were supposed to be in box 17 for me but they were nowhere to be found.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't updated for a bit as had some business travel to MN. Have since installed:

- Fuel tank
    - Fuel filter
    - Wilwood pedal box
    - MC's
    - Clutch cable
    - Front brakes (finally received)
    - Brake lines

Need to get some pics of everything eventually. For now the brake lines are temporarily attached as it appears I need to locate a part that seems to be evading me.

Another point of concern to me is the fuel filter. While I am assuming it's decent, it just seems like perhaps I should upgrade it and of course I already riveted to the frame. Decision is pending on this as I have looked at a few at Summit but not 100% sure what to do at this time. Any suggestions from anyone?
    -
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    ...Another point of concern to me is the fuel filter. While I am assuming it's decent, it just seems like perhaps I should upgrade it and of course I already riveted to the frame. Decision is pending on this as I have looked at a few at Summit but not 100% sure what to do at this time. Any suggestions from anyone?
    -
    I see that you are going to be running a carb. You did not mention installing a fuel pump so unless you have an in-tank pump it leads me to believe that you will either use a mechanical pump on the engine or a separate electric one between your presently installed filter and the engine. If this is your plan I encourage you to rethink it---the fuel filter should be AFTER the pump on the pressure side, not before the pump on the suction side.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I see that you are going to be running a carb. You did not mention installing a fuel pump so unless you have an in-tank pump it leads me to believe that you will either use a mechanical pump on the engine or a separate electric one between your presently installed filter and the engine. If this is your plan I encourage you to rethink it---the fuel filter should be AFTER the pump on the pressure side, not before the pump on the suction side.

Good luck,
    Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. Good to know. Mike Forte is supplying the fuel pump with my engine.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Well again being too lazy to post pics of progress. Not a lot done over the last couple weeks due to business travel and not able to work in the garage due to making too much noise. Wife has been down with multiple migraines on weekends and the attached garage shares a wall with our bedroom. Basically been going back over things, tightening up bolts finalizing connections and humming and hawing over various different connectors whether it be for brake lines, fuel or other. I have been reviewing threads on this and know that it's worthwhile buying good quality ones, e.g. Earl's, etc., but still trying to finalize all what I need. Got the tires on the rims and temporarily put them on the chassis to get them out of the way and also to see how they will look. I am very happy to have gone with 15" as I prefer that look and Gordon's Wilwoods package fit perfectly.

Called Mike Forte for an update on the engine as it was originally planned for late September but am glad it's a bit late as I was not ready anyways. He says it should be ready in 2-3 weeks and I am #4 in the list so hopefully that holds. My brother volunteered to help me get the engine and transmission installed so that will be a big help. Next big push is going to be wiring, not looking forward to it as this has me a bit intimidated.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Just confirmed I need wipers for registration in Maine. Bummer as I had hope not to have to deal with these not they look bad, just didn't want the hassles that I have read in the forums.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Kyle,

I know how it feels to be intimidated about parts of the build. I didn't do my brake lines on my first car because I was too intimidated. Looking back at how easy it was on my second build, it occurred to me how much of the build is mental. If you are having a block, just post it to the forum or better yet, throw a build party. Having someone there to discuss your plans really helps you get over the mental hurdles.

The wiring harness is another big mental block area, but believe me, it's WAY better than it used to be! The harness lays out on the chassis so much better these days. If you are having ANY issues, just post the problem and we'll help you through it.

Sorry to read about your wife's migraines. Ouch! I hope she finds a good treatment for it. Those can be really painful...

Keep it up man, the build looks great so far!

Post Thanks / Like
    The help you guys give is just amazing.. F5 should send you a check
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Kyle,

I know how it feels to be intimidated about parts of the build. I didn't do my brake lines on my first car because I was too intimidated. Looking back at how easy it was on my second build, it occurred to me how much of the build is mental. If you are having a block, just post it to the forum or better yet, throw a build party. Having someone there to discuss your plans really helps you get over the mental hurdles.

The wiring harness is another big mental block area, but believe me, it's WAY better than it used to be! The harness lays out on the chassis so much better these days. If you are having ANY issues, just post the problem and we'll help you through it.

Sorry to read about your wife's migraines. Ouch! I hope she finds a good treatment for it. Those can be really painful...

Keep it up man, the build looks great so far!

Thanks David. I will plan to reach out once I have reviewed all the posts on wiring. I am 100% sure I will need help on it.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me know what you need Kyle.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    So I've not worked on my build for three weeks due to severe tendonitis and also having to get some jobs done outdoors before the snow arrives. The tendonitis sure makes it harder to use tools. I have all the harness in and yesterday installed the Breeze front battery box. I still have to tighten the two screws as I do not have a short enough Phillips.

The battery should arrive on Tuesday, Optima yellow top. Also installed a remote starter solenoid. Read different opinions on whether this is needed or not and decided why not. Installed it where Jeff Kliener and others have installed it on the PS motor mount.

Also followed up on some incomplete items in the pedal box area. It's getting tight in there so wanted everything wrapped up before it gets near impossible. Also did some more riveting as well, nothing exciting but needs to be done.

Hopefully this coming week I hear some good news on my engine and trans from Mike Forte. Jesse was working on it last week and also the TKO600's are on the way. Hopefully I'll get a few hours on the build today but first up is some work on a new bathroom fan.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a call from Jesse from Forte's on Saturday saying he dyno'ed my engine. He stated they had to go with a bigger cam as they were out of what was planned but that is okay by me. The numbers look good for a nice street machine topping just over 400hp.

Now just have to move along with my build this week in prep to installing the engine.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Just confirmed I need wipers for registration in Maine. Bummer as I had hope not to have to deal with these not they look bad, just didn't want the hassles that I have read in the forums.
    Just saw your comment regarding the Maine requirement for wipers. Wonder if there is any wiggle room on this? I really do not want to install them. They just are not very effective on this type of car, unless you have a soft top. Will do some checking to see who and where my car will get inspected.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscobra View Post
    Just saw your comment regarding the Maine requirement for wipers. Wonder if there is any wiggle room on this? I really do not want to install them. They just are not very effective on this type of car, unless you have a soft top. Will do some checking to see who and where my car will get inspected.

Rick
    Hey Rick,

Yeah I read this on the Maine DMV. It would be very nice not to have to have them as I have heard nightmares of getting them to work properly.

Picking up my engine and transmission this Thursday! Should be fun.

Kyle
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    KDubU,

Were you able to pick up your motor from Forte yesterday? Would love an update and maybe some pics!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast