Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KDubU Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Not quite yet. Mike was waiting on the Quick bell housing which came in yesterday and the belt. The plan now is Monday if it's not raining.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    While you are there, remind Mike I am still waiting for my dyno sheets. tks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up my engine yesterday. Beautiful day for a drive down to Mike's place.

Hopefully I'll get it installed within the next week or so.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine looks really nice. Couple observations though. Is that the right oil pan? Pretty sure that one is going to hang below the frame 4 inch tubes. Can't be more than 7.5 inches deep. Also looks like you have the SFI version of the Quicktime bell housing. The bottom part of the circle on those also will hang below the 4 inch tubes. FYI, most guys just trim them back a bit.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Engine looks really nice. Couple observations though. Is that the right oil pan? Pretty sure that one is going to hang below the frame 4 inch tubes. Can't be more than 7.5 inches deep. Also looks like you have the SFI version of the Quicktime bell housing. The bottom part of the circle on those also will hang below the 4 inch tubes. FYI, most guys just trim them back a bit.

Good questions. I noticed the pan as well yesterday but with all the other stuff going on, I forgot to ask Mike. I would be surprised he installed the wrong one but will go out and measure.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Good questions. I noticed the pan as well yesterday but with all the other stuff going on, I forgot to ask Mike. I would be surprised he installed the wrong one but will go out and measure.
    I take it back. It's probably fine. I agree Mike knows this stuff. This was my Mk3 with a 302 and a stock style low profile pan. Looks the same. Still suspect you might have to trim the bell housing though.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been lax in updating my build thread. I spent some time prior and during Christmas to tackle the dash wiring and had many moments of confusion. I think I am close to understanding it all now after several people responded to me and having a conversation with Jeff Kleiner (thanks Jeff!). Wiring definitely is not my strong suit and having additional wires that are not required makes it all the more confusing for a newbie like myself.

So some fun wiring pics of me going, "hunh?"

Got the dash close to what I want it to be. Still have some other changes coming.

Also fab'ed some transmission vents

Then after humming and hawing over insulation options I decided to go with Lizard Skin. I liked the idea of it and how it coats all the aluminum and that it is simple to apply. I read EdwardB's review of it several times and the good instructions he provides. I did have to reverse myself a bit to get this to happen though and remove the main and dash harnesses leaving the front and rear still on the car. Then it was prep which again was not as bad as I thought it would be. Currently only two coats of the sound insulation has been applied. This coming week I'll get the ceramic coating applied but will need to re-tape again as EdwardB raises a good point in his review that leaving the tape in contact with Lizard Skin as it hardens makes for a challenging removal. Hopefully once I am back in town late this week I'll get it all done and then on the weekend I can get the harness and other items back in as well as Russ Thompon's pedals which arrived this past Friday.

Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Things keep moving along with the build. I am enjoying it a lot and now understand when some say they like the building process best, it can get kind of addictive. The only issue is $$$ as it seems like many, there truly is no budget involved.

So I pony'ed up for an engine hoist from HF, the 2-ton model. I really did not want to purchase one and thought of renting one from a semi-local place however then thought that for sure I would need it more than once and driving each way is 45 mins so decided well, you're in this deep what's a few hundred more.

Prior to the engine install, I had to remove the rad as while it may be possible to get around it I did not want to damage it and also there is much more room from the front for the hoist to get in close. The install went well overall with no help as I did not wish to trouble my wife and truly it stresses me more when she's involved because I am alway worried of her getting hurt. I can live with doing something to myself but not to her.

After install I noticed that my transmission needs to be shimmed up so called Mike Forte and am waiting for his shims to arrive in the mail. Currently I have the trans supported from underneath just above the support bracket. Then I reinstalled the rad only to find out my bolts no longer would go all the way through the Breeze hinge and frame so out to Ace to get another set as no matter what I did, they just would not bite. This second set of bolts while they work...they don't make me happy so went out again and got some a touch longer with nuts, all grade 8.

Other items that I have not taken pics of yet are the under-dash support panel from Mike Everson which is a nice product and while ordering also got the nose shroud that I plan to paint black along with the rad and the firewall support bracket. All came in quick and are easy to install. Other items ordered include some ********** products including the 427 shifter, seat belt bezels and polished SS quickjacks.

The other item I have purchased is a wooden knob for the shifter. I really like the wood look in older vehicles like my brother's MGB and my Dad's TD so I was looking around for a solution and after several days of looking I found what I was looking for. Now just need to wait for it to arrive and can then upload a pic.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a so-so pic of the shifter knob off my Mac but it's not the best.

Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Working on getting the engine all hooked up.

Installed the Breeze rad pipes. They are really nice.

Also started connecting the power steering hoses and realized I did not have enough connectors as I am also using a cooler.

Installed the carb and air filter. I have read about the standard filter issues so ordered a 2.5" from S&B Filters. Hopefully it will fit when I mount the body. Originally I thought go going with a round air filter and may still but for now I'll stick with this.

One item I am not happy with is my QT bell housing. It is below the 4" round tubes and EdwardB had pointed this out when he saw my engine pics and of course he is spot on. I thought at the time that Mike Forte who supplied it would know it's not a fit for a roadster and while yes I can trim it, that is a royal pain especially now that it's installed. I already shimmed the trans as well with Mike's shims but that did not resolve the problem. So now I have two choices, get on the phone with Mike but even if he is willing to do something, I have to remove the engine and trans from the car and then dissemble the engine and trans. The other is to get under the car and trim, not a fun and easy job.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Continuing with the engine bay and getting all the fuel lines and power steering connected. Seems like I am always underestimating what I need to complete things. I was about to purchase 20ft of SS Teflon hose and thought that is too much and likely it is but instead I went with 10ft and I am short for the power steering. On top of that I just can't seem to get the number of connectors I need and order a few here and a few there....makes for a lot of waiting on deliveries. The last few orders I thought I had enough but looks like for the PS cooler I need a couple more. Have chosen to go with Aeroquip and really like their products so far. Purchased and installed a 40 micron filter before the carb and also a regulator. Still need to install the gauge though and of course am waiting on delivery of that connector. A few pics below of progress.

Kyle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12