Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: If you're going to build one of these cars.....

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to build one of these cars.....

Invest in a lift and do it right! I'm on my third build in 5 years and I can't believe I waited to buy one of these. We all try to get by with spending as little as possible on tools and such because we would rather put it into the car but it is so worth it for a lift. Having had back problems for years the hot rod and the 818 were really tough. Getting under the car and more importantly doing the interior puts you in some awkward positions that just aren't good for posture. So....if you're going to build one of these, spend the extra $1500 up front and save yourself some medical bills and down time by being able to move the car around you!

This particular one is great however it's a bit tall at rest so you have to put some runners down to get over it. After that it's straight up to 60"! So glad I've had it for this build. Just want to emphasize to those are starting a build to consider this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Considering the amount of time spent working on the build, this looks like the way to go. Where did you purchase the lift?

Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't agree more! Having built two Roadsters exactly like you described -- on jack stands and crawling around on the floor -- I decided it was time for a lift as well. Just started Roadster #8674 with the chassis on the lift from the beginning. What a huge improvement. I'm only a few weeks in, but what a pleasure to work without breaking my back and/or rolling around on the floor. I happened to choose a Danmar MaxJax system ($1999 at Costco) but there are many choices.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't get my lift until late in the process, but now that I have it, I wouldn't want to be without one.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I now have 2 lifts. A two post and a 4 post. Worth every penny IMO.

818s 002.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    the one I got was from Harbor Freight. $1400 delivered. Wish I had room for the 2 post but the scissor lift was a nice comprimise and I didn't have to drill into the slab (which is post tension) Boing!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Looks ready to go!
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I really think a lift should be a required tool that you get before starting the build! I always have hated getting under a car on jack stands; it gives me the willies.

I LOVE my lift!!

It sure makes things like assembling a hydraulic clutch slave a piece of cake!

Only problem is, all your buddies are gonna want to borrow it...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh... You guys are way too convincing. I need to make some more room in my build budget for a lift!

Post Thanks / Like
    I need a bigger room to make room for a lift.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys sold me - I picked up my MaxJax from the "factory" (located in Moorpark, CA - 15 minutes from my home) 2 weeks ago and am rearranging the garage to fit it in. Now I just have to go buy the kit...
    Keith